Refinishing wood?

My father-in-law has an old (1950s I think) Model 94, which I've posted about before. He has a little bit of attachment to it, so I'd like to try cleaning it up a little for him.

It has a white streak on the stock which I suspect is paint. Strangely enough, it seems like it's underneath the lacquer. I was thinking of sanding the lacquer down and re-finishing it, has anyone attempted something like this? I would be comfortable doing it on "regular" wood, but on a rifle...

You can make an old rifle look really nice with a little refinishing. Quite some time ago I bought an old .22 single shot bolt gun. I figured it'd be something I could teach my kids to shoot with. It was pretty beat up. The stock had some dings, and the finish was scraped here and there. I pulled the action out and sanded the stock down. I took the old finish off and got out the dings. While I was at it I free-floated the barrel, just to see if I could. A couple coats of Birchwood Casey with some steel wool in between, and the wood looks like new.

I'm not a woodworking guy. This was an experiment. But it came out great. With a little elbow grease I turned a beater into a real pretty plinker. The kids are going to have to treat this one with care!

If I knew anything about metal I would have given a try at rebluing the barrel so that it would match the condition of the wood. As it is, it's in pretty good shape and I think I might do more harm than good by messing with it.

One disclaimer here - I did this to a gun that had no value. I wouldn't do it to a gun that was collectible. I'm not sure which category your father's gun would fall into.

Last edited:
A 1950's 94 is collectible. The paint or other blemishes would detract from it's value/collectability but refinishing the wood would really kill it.
I don't think I'd touch it. How about buying him a new replica of a 94?

JonJ: Why do you say that refinishing it would reduce the value? That seems a little counter-intuitive to me, as it the white streak is really noticeable (it's quite large). I was hoping, perhaps unrealistically, that I could find some kind of a wood finish that "appears" to be aged, instead of new.

It may be counter-intuitive, but it is the truth. Refinishing a collectible almost always reduces the value (often drastically).

Even when, to the untrained eye, the "original" condition is in poorer condition than what it would look like refinished? Me confused! [wink]

Even when, to the untrained eye, the "original" condition is in poorer condition than what it would look like refinished? Me confused! [wink]

Yes!
Ever watch the Antiques Roadshow where the lady comes in with a 16th Century piece of furniture and says, "I stripped all the old grime and finish off to make it look new". The appraiser then says, "It's worth $2000 but if you left the old finish it would be worth $20,000!"

Even if the metal wasn't perfect (some rust spots etc) on the rifle and you stripped and reblued it, you'd ruin it.

ETA:
The best thing to do is, identify what the "white" is and try to remove it without removing any of the original finish.
Is it possible that someone lacquered over the white paint stripe?

Last edited:
Jon: I do watch that show from time to time, most of the time I think "that person is going straight to eBay to sell that thing!" after they get it appraised [smile]

I think it's more than likely that the lacquer is over the white stripe. Question is, what do I do about it? (edit: added) I really want to thank all y'all who've replied in this thread & the other thread. I don't want to ruin the rifle, but I don't know what I should or shouldn't do -- hence my asking here! I hope I don't come off as confrontational, just that lots of things have surprised me with this so far. Clear as mud, right? [grin]

Jon: I do watch that show from time to time, most of the time I think "that person is going straight to eBay to sell that thing!" after they get it appraised [smile]
Ya, you know it!

I think it's more than likely that the lacquer is over the white stripe. Question is, what do I do about it? (edit: added) I really want to thank all y'all who've replied in this thread & the other thread. I don't want to ruin the rifle, but I don't know what I should or shouldn't do -- hence my asking here! I hope I don't come off as confrontational, just that lots of things have surprised me with this so far. Clear as mud, right? [grin]
You need to talk to a pro. A gent named Rome aka Cabinetman is a member here but doesn't check in much is the guy you should contact. Rome knows his wood and finishes. He's a Mod for the "Stock Cleaning" forum here:
http://p077.ezboard.com/bparallaxscurioandrelicfirearmsforums

refinishing

Well i do know something about refinishing, as i'm a furniture refinisher/restorer. My shop is in Hudson Ma. Specialty Furniture Refinishing,
978-567-8700.

First thing i would do is get your 94 appraised, and the question to ask,
is obvious... will refinishing reduce the value.

The other comments regarding refinishing furniture are not quite true
and have been reversed by the Antiques Roadshow. You need to understand
the difference between a "collectable" and an antique, the antique being
an older piece of furniture. The collectable is one that is rare, ie one of
several or the last piece left in existence. The antique is simply old and
many still exist.

The Roadshow has in writing decided that a well executed refinishing job
may actually increase the value of an older piece of furniture.
In most cases it does.

I am not an expert on values on the subject item, but i would strongly recommend you discuss this with an expert.

As for stripping, use a chemical stripper, sanding does not remove all of
the old finish in the pores of the wood. Fourthermore, the dings and dents
more than prove the age of the stock, removing them will make it look new
and i'm reasonably certain that is not what you want as you could if available
buy one.

JimB

I've used 0000 steel wool rubbing in mineral spirits. This gets off the surface grime and probably your white stuff, without hurting the wood or color underneath.

Then I rub in several coats of boiled linseed oil letting it sit for a day between coats.

I'd NEVER use sandpaper. It will change the color, the texture and the shape of the wood if overdone.

When I do this to my milsurps, it really isn't 'refinishing' or 'restoring', it's more like a good cleaning. Sorta like seriously wiping down and oiling a good revolver.

You need to know if yours was 'varnished' originally. If so, the above doesn't apply.

As others have said, get it appraised and then ask the appraiser what it would be worth if you choose to do more and refinish it.

Well i do know something about refinishing, as i'm a furniture refinisher/restorer. My shop is in Hudson Ma. Specialty Furniture Refinishing,
978-567-8700.

First thing i would do is get your 94 appraised, and the question to ask,
is obvious... will refinishing reduce the value.

The other comments regarding refinishing furniture are not quite true
and have been reversed by the Antiques Roadshow. You need to understand
the difference between a "collectable" and an antique, the antique being
an older piece of furniture. The collectable is one that is rare, ie one of
several or the last piece left in existence. The antique is simply old and
many still exist.

The Roadshow has in writing decided that a well executed refinishing job
may actually increase the value of an older piece of furniture.
In most cases it does.

I am not an expert on values on the subject item, but i would strongly recommend you discuss this with an expert.

As for stripping, use a chemical stripper, sanding does not remove all of
the old finish in the pores of the wood. Fourthermore, the dings and dents
more than prove the age of the stock, removing them will make it look new
and i'm reasonably certain that is not what you want as you could if available
buy one.

JimB

Well, I'm not an authority by any strech, but I think the difference lies in the space between "refinish" and "restore". A brandnew finish on an object that is suposed to be old and have some wear is very different than restoring blemished finishes while maintainging the character of the article in question.

The advice to get the gun appraised is a good one, and definitely the place to start if you are concerned about the value. If you want the gun to look new and don't care about the value, refinish it. If you want it to look new and do care about the value, buy him a new one he can use and beat up without guilt.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom