Finishing a wood stock

I'm looking at an unfinished laminated stock and was wondering what the best product to finish it with to get a high gloss finish. thinking about using high gloss tung oil or urethane. Any thoughts or past experiences?
Thanks
Dave

I'm looking at an unfinished laminated stock and was wondering what the best product to finish it with to get a high gloss finish. thinking about using high gloss tung oil or urethane. Any thoughts or past experiences?
Thanks
Dave

What type of gun is it on and do you want it to retain collectability or just look good?

The only unfinished laminated stocks I've seen are on AK type rifles unless you're buying a new replacement stock. There are several different ways you can go, Spray/brush on polyurethane, tung oil, or shellac. Shellac is probably the fastest way to achieve a finish but its tricky to work with.

I've done 3 AK stocks with spray poly and while you get good results, it takes a while for it to build up and you have to lightly sand it in between coats once its dry. The same goes for tung oil.

Best advice is which ever one you choose, don't rush it. If you use poly or tung oil, let it dry a day after each coat and plan on applying about 5 or more depending on the finish you want.

You'll need at least 3 coats (maybe more depending on the condition of the stock) to start filling in tiny areas of exposed layers of wood. Then as you lightly sand in between coats you'll notice the finish will be flatter and smoother with no rough spots or open areas where it seeped in between the wood layers. After you achieve that you'll only need about 3 more coats to get the desired depth and shine.

When you're done you can use ultra fine sandpaper like 600 grit to remove any dust nibs and orange peel and then buff it to a high gloss with a polishing rag and some elbow grease.

I would use a polyurethane instead of oil on a lam stock. The plys are hard and the glue between them is harder and neither soak up oil very well, the glue not at all.

Coat it with poly, letting it dry and rubbing it down between coats.

I used a red cedar stain and 4 coats of a spray on urethane on a Wasr-10 stock and it looks great.

I'm in the same process w/ a WASR.
I positively can not remove the butstock (its swollen tight.)
Do you have any pics?

+1

If you want it to be smooth and shiny, you have to put on a coat, sand it (or use very fine steel wool) and then recoat. To get a finish that filled the grain and was "glassy" smooth takes 6-8 coats.

This Garand has a commercial (Wenig) stock and took seven coats of Tru Oil.

679580517_rETeW-M.jpg

Last edited:
Tru Oil is good stuff. Last winter I refinished an old Marlin .22

Figured I would give Tru Oil a try. It took 5 coats and it came out much better than I expected when I began the project. I will use it again.

Back
Top Bottom