Referances...and reasons

Look for opinions on the subject. I'm applying for my Class A ALP LTC and know an officer on the local PD. I haven't seen him for a number of years, grew up with his kids and went to school with them as well. Do my referances have any sway on my application and should or shouldn't I use him as a referance?

Also, everybody I've talked to in person seems to have a different take on what I should write for reasons for requestion my ALP LTC. I've seen Scrivners post on what else to put along with specific reasons, can anybody give me an idea on what may help or what may detract from my chances of getting it?

I'm mainly trying to get my permit for hunting/sporting purposes and shooting with the guys on weekends, but have been told over and over to get the Class A ALP LTC. My only argument for it right now is personal protection and sporting/target...is that good enough?

Thanks,

-Pemi

I don't see how it could hurt using the LEO as a reference. Leominster required THREE written references, and one of mine was a retired Marlboro police lieutenant who was my parent's next door neigbor who knew me as a neighbor from the time I was 7 through my early 20's. He still gave me a good reference.[smile]

Please read the sticky at the top of this forum on applying for a LTC.

Personally I put the names of people who I know our chief hates on my application . . . and I tell those people why I'm using their names too! Gets a big chuckle every time. BTW, these two are former POs in the same department and I worked with both of them.

Yes, if you know any LEOs personally, I would ask their permission to use their names as references.

I also wouldn't write a book on why I NEED LTC-A/ALP. We write down "All Lawful Purposes" as our reason, nothing more. However the chief and Lts. knows us, knows what we do, etc. so that does make a difference.

Good luck!

Depends on your city, it would be good to check with others in your town on how hard it is to get a ALP. Worst case they downgrade it to restricted.

When asked, I've always put down people I know have LTC A ALP permits from the same COP, are well respected in the community, especially Cops and Ex-Cops. Someone who lends credibility to your application if the COP calls them.

I would put down for any lawful purpose.

I have in the past included copies of dozens of articles I've collected over the years showing violent crime in my town. I've been keeping a scrapbook of just that kind of article for almost 20 years now. It makes it kind of hard for an issuiing officer to deny need for ALP. Every bank robbery, break in, violent episode, neighborhood gangs, escaped criminals caught in the town, stolen or hijacked vehicles. There are many of these events, and I live in a small, pretty quiet community.

As long as you're still friends with the LEO, then put him down. Most often they don't even bother contact them. I don't think I've ever heard anyone I know who's said their references have been contacted, but I suppose there's a first time for everything.

Ask for a Class A, and the reason is FOR ALL LAWFUL PURPOSES. Covers everything.

Back
Top Bottom