• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Red Fox is after my chickens - guidance needed

This is what a .25 calibre PCP air rifle was made for......heavy enough for a headshot on a fox but quiet enough to not disturb "Ethel" next door.

I'd certainly want to pop the mo'fo!
If the basttid is running around, might be hard to drop him with one shot, don't want the neighborhood to think there's a war going on.
Havahart and a swimming lesson would be effective and quiet.
On my coop, I've got the chicken door set up so that it closes down past the lower threshold, so no critters can get their fingers/paws in underneath.

I'd certainly want to pop the mo'fo!
If the basttid is running around, might be hard to drop him with one shot, don't want the neighborhood to think there's a war going on.
Havahart and a swimming lesson would be effective and quiet.
On my coop, I've got the chicken door set up so that it closes down past the lower threshold, so no critters can get their fingers/paws in underneath.

I would put a pile of yummy snacks right under the coop, which is an easy 20 yard shot from my 2nd story porch. Little a$$hole stops for a snack, and I'll Major Konig him into coon heaven.

I did put a latch on the small coop door last night before it got dark. It worked. Remaining two chickens are safe, and coon obviously tried to get to that door again because the 3' ramp that goes up to that door was knocked over.

ETA: I never thought I'd be googling "Where in the skull is a raccoon's brain?" [laugh]

Last edited:
What can I do, legally, to end this f*cker? I don't think any of my immediate neighbors (those within 500 feet of my back yard) would care if I had to let a .22 quiet round fly late at night to kill this thing. They like free fresh eggs.
But I believe I'm supposed to get a special permit to do that right? I have never had to deal with this before. Should I just SSS?
As I posted earlier in the thread (including reference to actual law), no permit is required to protect fowl from predators via lead injection. Just comply with firearms discharge laws/rules, and common sense. Trapping appears to be OK, poisoning is not.

Two nights ago the sonofabitch managed to open the smaller coop door and kill another chicken. That little door shuts fairly tight without any need for a latch, but the coon figured out how to pry it open I guess. Dick. I finally got around to setting up the trail cam last night and there he is.

What can I do, legally, to end this f*cker? I don't think any of my immediate neighbors (those within 500 feet of my back yard) would care if I had to let a .22 quiet round fly late at night to kill this thing. They like free fresh eggs.
But I believe I'm supposed to get a special permit to do that right? I have never had to deal with this before. Should I just SSS?

SSS works very well as long as you strictly follow the 3rd S. You should be able to trap a raccoon easily with some good smelling bait. Then shoot it unless you want to sit up all night waiting for it to show up.

Here's the relevant state law: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section37

Check for any additional town ordinances.

Not a good, or legal, idea, at least in MA.

No specific permits needed per state law.

See the part about the permit from Fish and Wildlife......

Also see where poison and snares are prohibited....

Lastly see the reporting requirements...

Section 37: Killing of game by owner or tenant of land; reports

Section 37. An owner or tenant of land or, if authorized by such owner or tenant, any member of his immediate family or his employee, as defined pursuant to section one of chapter sixty-two B, may, upon such land:?

(1) kill or attempt to kill, by means other than poisoning or trapping, any wild bird damaging his property, including domesticated animals, poultry and game on game-rearing farms or preserves, provided that such killing is not contrary to any federal law, rule or regulation.

(2) hunt or take by other means, except by poison or snare, any mammal which he finds damaging his property except grass growing on uncultivated land. No such owner or tenant shall authorize any person, other than a member of his immediate family or a person permanently employed by him, to place traps for the protection of said property other than during the open season, unless such owner or tenant has first obtained from the director a permit authorizing him so to do, which permit the director is hereby authorized to issue in his discretion, unless such authorized person holds a trapping license. All deer so killed shall be turned over to any environmental police officer and shall be disposed of by the director of law enforcement.

The following written reports shall be sent to the director by such owner or tenant acting under authority of this section:?(a) upon the taking of pheasant, ruffed grouse, hares or rabbits, or the wounding or killing of a deer, a report stating the time and place, kind and number of birds or mammals so taken, wounded or killed, within twenty-four hours of such taking, wounding or killing; (b) upon the taking of any other birds or mammals, a report on or before January thirty-first of each year, stating the number and kinds of birds or mammals taken under authority of this section during the previous year. This section shall not be construed to limit any other provisions of this chapter.

... No such owner or tenant shall authorize any person, other than a member of his immediate family or a person permanently employed by him, to place traps for the protection of said property other than during the open season, unless such owner or tenant has first obtained from the director a permit authorizing him so to do, which permit the director is hereby authorized to issue in his discretion, unless such authorized person holds a trapping license.

That sentence is saying that the permit is required if the person placing a trap is someone other that the owner, immediate family member, or permanent employee.

Given that 45collector says it's his coop it's a reasonable inference that he is the owner. Therefore, 45collector,
... or, if authorized by such owner or tenant, any member of his immediate family or his employee, as defined pursuant to section one of chapter sixty-two B, may, upon such land:
(2) hunt or take by other means, except by poison or snare, any mammal which he finds damaging his property except grass growing on uncultivated land.
no permit required.

If he is trying to eat your daughter, shoot him. Cant blame the poor bastard for wanting a fat chicken.

Roll him an egg for his efforts and get yourself a chicken dog. You know, the dogs that blend in with the chicken herd?...do I have that right?

That sentence is saying that the permit is required if the person placing a trap is someone other that the owner, immediate family member, or permanent employee.

Given that 45collector says it's his coop it's a reasonable inference that he is the owner. Therefore, 45collector,
no permit required.

I see it now ... I was focusing on the open season part... MGL clear as mud on a snowy day.

Back
Top Bottom