Red Fox is after my chickens - guidance needed

VTHunter

NES Member
Early this morning, a red fox crossed my front yard with something in its mouth (looked like a squirrel). I thought it was cool. Later this afternoon, we observed the fox jumping at the chicken coop, which has an attached pen enclosed with wire. This is where the chickens were. I let the dog out, and he proceeded to chase the fox away. The dog came back in, collected his reward, and went to his designated spot by the wood stove. I thought we were done with it. However, not more than 15 minutes later, the fox was back at the coop, pacing back and forth seeking entry. The coop is built well (homemade), and the pen is enclosed with heavy gauge rabbit fence on the bottom - chicken fence on top.

We had been letting the hens free range in the yard with no issues. Today is the first day we witnessed this, although it may have happened before without us knowing.

I'd like to deter the fox without killing it. However, I realize this may not be realistic. I'm not convinced it is in a fox's nature. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Are there any scents or other effective non-lethal remedies?

Although I am not opposed to shooting it, I am in a residential area with houses within 500'. So, this is likely not an option. What types of measures is a 'farmer' allowed to take when protecting livestock? (Massachusetts)

Thanks

I know you said you don't want to kill it but.... it's the fox or your chickens. It's just a matter of time before he finds a way in. So I suggest a "tainted" raw chicken carcass. Make it lethal because they pass everything within 24 hours through their plumbing (that's why they can eat rancid food without consequense)

I have never officially inquired with the state, but I have read that to legally protect livestock you need to secure a degradation permit from the state. You are also supposed to call to report any dispatching and I believe surrender the culprit. Also (in your case this doesn't seem a problem), but the permit can only be awarded to the landowner, a direct family member or a full-time employee of the farm.

Again, I am not an expert, so take all with many grains of salt.

.22 thru open window, from inside the house.

This! The fox knows where the easy meal is and it will not go away. Poison is not a great option IMO because something else might get into it.
I tolerate no predators that are after my chickens.

Here's the relevant state law: https://malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXIX/Chapter131/Section37
An owner or tenant of land or, if authorized by such owner or tenant, any member of his immediate family or his employee ... may, upon such land ...hunt or take by other means, except by poison or snare, any mammal which he finds damaging his property [property is defined elsewhere to include poultry].

The following written reports shall be sent to the director by such owner or tenant acting under authority of this section ... upon the taking of any other birds or mammals, a report on or before January thirty-first of each year, stating the number and kinds of birds or mammals taken under authority of this section during the previous year.
Check for any additional town ordinances.

...So I suggest a "tainted" raw chicken carcass. Make it lethal because they pass everything within 24 hours through their plumbing (that's why they can eat rancid food without consequense)
Not a good, or legal, idea, at least in MA.

I have never officially inquired with the state, but I have read that to legally protect livestock you need to secure a degradation permit from the state. You are also supposed to call to report any dispatching and I believe surrender the culprit. Also (in your case this doesn't seem a problem), but the permit can only be awarded to the landowner, a direct family member or a full-time employee of the farm.

Again, I am not an expert, so take all with many grains of salt.
No specific permits needed per state law.

Tractor supply sells fence chargers and all the supplies you need to electrify around the coop. Foxes are not that big of a deal if you have a decent coop. Racoons OTOH are very clever...they also hate fence chargers :)

You probably have both poking around.

source.gif

Tractor supply sells fence chargers and all the supplies you need to electrify around the coop. Foxes are not that big of a deal if you have a decent coop. Racoons OTOH are very clever...they also hate fence chargers :)

You probably have both poking around.

+1 An electric wire keeps the critters out of the pheasant pen at our club.

.22 thru open window, from inside the house.

I can remember many nights in the window with my father. We put a light out so we could see. It didn't deter the pests at all. We shot coyotes, skunks, fox, raccoon, fisher cats, and a few other predators I can't remember. All kinds of animals looking for a free meal. This was back in the 70's. We had a cop come to the house one morning because of a late night gun shot complaint. Told him what was up and the cop had no problem with it. Bet it would be a different story today.

You don't have to kill the fox to protect the chickens. I would put an electric wire along the bottom of the pen and end free ranging for some time. THe fox will most likely move on soon enough.

IBSSS

.22 rifle with Velociter, or a shotgun. If you can, CYA by getting a depredation permit, otherwise SSS

Basic biology: the red fox is trying to feed its young. Fox eat a lot of unwanted rodents.
I agree in principle, but in practice I am not willing to stand by and let wildlife destroy my property.

Last edited:
I'd like to deter the fox without killing it. However, I realize this may not be realistic. I'm not convinced it is in a fox's nature. Does anyone have any experience with this type of thing? Are there any scents or other effective non-lethal remedies?

That's pretty funny!

Trust me... it is in their nature to eat well.

Squirrels? Check.
Chickens? Check.
Cats? Check.

I've been cleaned out by the furry little bastards more than once.

.22 through the window (assuming you have a safe backdrop).

Back
Top Bottom