Recommended Inexpensive Shooting Mat

So what do people use for inexpensive shooting mats? I don't really have any old carpeting hanging around, and I'm not huge on that idea anyway. I'd like something that has some sort of waterproofness to it since i'm doing the April Appleseed.

I used a piece of sheet plastic from Home Depot under a 5x7 carpet remnant at that Feb Appleseed shoot in a foot of snow. It worked out very well. Cheap and functional.

IT AIN'T PRETTY, BUT IT WORKS BEST

I used a piece of sheet plastic from Home Depot under a 5x7 carpet remnant at that Feb Appleseed shoot in a foot of snow. It worked out very well. Cheap and functional.

+1 for carpet remnant, dixidawg.

The carpet remnant is the only solution I have seen work in all four seasons. It provides excellent padding year round, and it doesn't slip on snow or ice.

I'll trade my Midway shooting mat or my padded mat for a 5' x 7' carpet remnant if any of you wish to trade.

Who cares what it looks like. The damn thing works.

Well I was going to suggest the sleeping pads daintier campers sometimes put under their sleeping bags, but it appears they aren't very cheap anymore.

But if you happen to HAVE one it should do well.

Scrap-O-Carpet will do fine for me.

I guess I'll see what kind of scrap carpet I can dig up. I should just go walk around Home Depot.

Well I was going to suggest the sleeping pads daintier campers sometimes put under their sleeping bags, but it appears they aren't very cheap anymore.

I'm even daintier than that. I WILL NOT camp unless I have my air mattress. :)

Have you considered one of the army issue foam sleeping pads available at most army/navy stores? I've found them for under $10.00.

us_military_sleeping_pad.gif

I've used a yoga mat I bought at walmart with ok success. I think a carpet would be better, and I'll hopefully have one for the next time (though I'm not shooting in April [thinking]).

Firewall99;825658I'll trade my [B said:
Midway shooting mat [/B]or my padded mat for a 5' x 7' carpet remnant if any of you wish to trade.
John, next time I'm up that way I will take you up on that - I've got a carpet runner that's about 3x6.

Back
Top Bottom