Shooting sling for M4 for appleseed

Already got an Andy leather sling on my M4 will that work for an Appleseed? I know the recommendation is for a GI web sling but i need to order something from Brownells today and they don't have a basic sling. What about the MAMBA sling i see. Are these just tacticool and not functional for an Appleseed?
Thanks,
MB

Last edited:
I'm not sure about the other slings, but if you are going to this appleseed up in Athol I have a spare web-sling you could borrow. Based on what I heard last time I went to an appleseed, just about any sling is better than no, including a neck-tie. Of course all slings are not created equal so you will definitely get better performance from some over others.

I'll hopefully be going to that one too, but its a ways off to know for sure.

MidwayUSA carries the web slings also, you have time so I would just keep an eye out for them to become available again.

Well, if that canvas sling is too short, you'll be limited as to what you can do. Now, you still should be able to do a loop sling with it, even if it's too short. The Instructors at the Appleseed you attend will show you how to do that.

FWIW, the Loop Sling is light years better than a Hasty Sling, shooting wise. Me, I use a 1907 sling, which has the same effect as a Loop Sling.

I'm just an old fart traditionalist, I guess.

You MIGHT find the cotton web slings too short.

They are certainly too short for the 20" AR platform, and maybe for the 16" as well.

Negative

I made NRA Highpower Master with a USGI cotton M1 sling on my AR. It fit perfectly with plenty of length to spare.

The M1907 leather sling, in its GI length (48"), is too short on a 20 inch AR. You need one at least 54" since the sling swivels on an AR are much farther apart than those on the M1 and M14.

Jose, the original length cotton M1 web sling is too short to use as a Hasty Sling on a 20" AR. The nylon web sling is longer, and was actually made for the M16A1, and the issue sling until the early 80's.

Now, that cotton sling does work for a loop sling, even on a 20" AR. just too short to hook it on both ends (as in Hasty Sling) and use it.

And, trust me, I do know this from personal experience.

And, I did mention the cotton sling could be used as a loop sling.

Jose, the original length cotton M1 web sling is too short to use as a Hasty Sling on a 20" AR. The nylon web sling is longer, and was actually made for the M16A1, and the issue sling until the early 80's.

Now, that cotton sling does work for a loop sling, even on a 20" AR. just too short to hook it on both ends (as in Hasty Sling) and use it.

Nickle,

Got any length data for these different slings? I've got 47" slings and 67" BAR slings. How long is the "cotton" sling?

I've used cotton and canvas web slings on an M16A4, which I believe compares to a 20" AR platform. I used both the loop and hasty sling, depending on the course of fire. I'm not sure if they were M1 slings, though, as I cannot claim to know what that is. I just used the sling they handed me from the armory. The cotton sling was black and the canvas sling was OD green. Are these different from what you are referring to?

I've used cotton and canvas web slings on an M16A4, which I believe compares to a 20" AR platform. I used both the loop and hasty sling, depending on the course of fire. I'm not sure if they were M1 slings, though, as I cannot claim to know what that is. I just used the sling they handed me from the armory. The cotton sling was black and the canvas sling was OD green. Are these different from what you are referring to?

The slings you're referring to, that were issued, are not what I was referring to.

The USMC has used (and still does) a web sling, that's long enough to use on a 20" AR. That's probably the canvas sling you're referring to.

This is a picture of the nylon sling, notice they're still being made and used (check the NSN).

slm1g.jpg

The canvas sling looks almost the same, but the material is different, and the sling shorter.

The slings you're referring to, that were issued, are not what I was referring to.

The USMC has used (and still does) a web sling, that's long enough to use on a 20" AR. That's probably the canvas sling you're referring to.

This is a picture of the nylon sling, notice they're still being made and used (check the NSN).

slm1g.jpg

The canvas sling looks almost the same, but the material is different, and the sling shorter.

Gotcha. I figured there must be some difference. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom