• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

How much shooting time is required/needed

Hi All:

I was looking into this program for the MA courses and was thinking about taking my son there. He is 10 but he only does archery right now (he's on a team). He understands and obeys the range rules quite well and understands the fundamentals of a shooting sport just not firearms. He's also a trooper and never complains. The type of kid who who will hike for miles without a peep. My wife wants me to take him to a training course before he can shoot so he would be going into this "cold" with maybe a range session with a 10/22 under his belt. Is he a waste of time for this or is it something that may be helpful to him and not be a burden on the other participants/instructors?

Thoughts?

Thanks!

xcom sends

Sounds like a good thing to me. My mom made my dad take me to hunter safety before giving me a pellet gun when I was 11. If he is a serious, studious kid he won't be a burden and the instructors will be pleased to be giving a kid a good start.

I certainly have bad habits that work for me but I don't want to pass them down (e.g., I still use a hasty sling 50% of the time).

This is why some people actually like working with kids - they don't have any habits to unlearn and they usually pick things up quick. Would you be doing a live fire training course, or just the basic safety training one?

Sounds like a good thing to me. My mom made my dad take me to hunter safety before giving me a pellet gun when I was 11. If he is a serious, studious kid he won't be a burden and the instructors will be pleased to be giving a kid a good start.

Exactly this. Take him to the course.

Are you asking about taking a training course before an Appleseed?

I don't think that is really necessary. I'm sure you can teach him some basics. The Appleseed instructors can take in a beginner and turn them into a rifleman.

I think he will be ok, If he knows the safety rules, and how to operate the rifle. Including loading magazines, and how to safely clear a malfunction.

Youth program at most clubs will cover safe handling and lots of trigger time.
I'm unsure whether any given clubs program is open to the public or is for members' families only, or whether they require a whole seasons' participation (versus a few "walk-in" Saturdays.)
OCSA in Pembroke has a GREAT youth program.

Hi xcom,

You and your son are both welcome to attend. We are fine instructing shooters with far less experience than your son. Be advised that we might decide to split you up on the firing line- we find that it's often easier for kids to focus when they are on their own, and we want you to be able to focus on your own learning as well. We are also going to be putting a youth/parent-only shoot on the schedule with free ammo this year. Dates are coming.

-voidoid

Hi All:

I was looking into this program for the MA courses and was thinking about taking my son there.
... Is he a waste of time for this or is it something that may be helpful to him and not be a burden on the other participants/instructors?
Thoughts?

Thanks!

xcom sends

A 10 year old who can follow instructions well enough not to be a danger to other participants (sounds like this isn't a problem) in this case will *NOT* be a burden on the instructors. Unless you pick a particularly busy day (April 19th weekend at Harvard comes to mind), that same 10 year old will also absolutely not be a burden on other participants. Finally, we have had a quite a few pre-teens both at Harvard and Leyden (different ranges, different pace), and in most cases they seem to have learned, they seem to have enjoyed themselves and everyone else often benefitted from their presence.

Working on it... and hoping for more.

February 2015
Harvard MA Feb 15-Feb 15 Appleseed - 1 Day

April 2015
Harvard MA Apr 18-Apr 19 Appleseed
Leyden MA Apr 18-Apr 19 Appleseed

July 2015
Leyden MA Jul 11-Jul 12 Appleseed

August 2015
Harvard MA Aug 29-Aug 30 Appleseed

September 2015
Leyden MA Sep 12-Sep 13 Appleseed

November 2015
Leyden MA Nov 07-Nov 08 Appleseed

Still nothing listed for Harvard... any events upcoming?
April 2015
LeydenMAApr 18-Apr 19AppleseedInformationRegister

As voidoid said, young beginners are more than welcome at Appleseeds. I think they are our most important students - teach someone good principles early in life and he will build on that foundation forever, whether it's about firearm safety, marksmanship skills, or exercising their freedom which the Founders gave us.

I particularly enjoy coaching the kids at my shoots.

The only advice I would offer in addition to the above is you want to make sure the stock fits your child. It's no fun to try to shoot with a rifle that's too long and can't be shouldered correctly. If that's an issue witih your 10/22, you might want to pick up a Compact stock on fleabay or somewhere.

Back
Top Bottom