Recommendations, What to Buy

I am thinking on buying another .22LR and I was thinking what to get... All I plan on doing with it is target shooting. I would like something that is accurate and has some style to it. I have browsed the Savage web site and the Merlin web site as well. Can any one here make any recommendations on a nice .22LR? I would like to keep the whole package under 500.00. Photos also would be a big help.

Thanks in advance

Ruger 10/22
Ruger Mk II
Ruger Mk III

I've never used one, but I was told the Savage 22s are nice.

Also, if you have an AR-15 lower, you may want to look into a dedicated upper (not just a swap on the bolt).

The only problem I could see with the Ruger MkIII, now that I think of it, is you'll really want to get familiar with how to assemlbe/dissassemble it. It can be a pain at first, but once you figure it out you should be fine. Took me 3 times to get it.

I am not looking for a pistol. So thanks for the pistol recommendations. But I am looking to add to my Rifle collection. If I do get a Ruger than I might go for the Mini M-14.

.223 is really expensive now and the Mini-14 is not an accurate rifle. For target shooting I'd go with the 10/22.

I dunno how handy you are, but what about building your own 10/22? Check out some of the galleries over on www.rimfirecentral.com You can pick your parts/looks/price for every part of the rifle AND have it built the way you want it.

You can build anything from mild to wild and it shouldn't be too hard to do for under $500

.223 is really expensive now and the Mini-14 is not an accurate rifle. For target shooting I'd go with the 10/22.

Roger that. The Mini's, whether 14 or 30, are a joke.

For a semi, I'd get the 10/22. As was noted, it can be "tricked-out" just as a 1911 can.

For a bolt - Savage. Period. You can't beat it for a cost-effective tack driver. IF and when you get sufficiently skilled, you can buy an Anschutz.
[wink]

I realized you asked only about rifles...

+1 on the CZ if you're looking for a bolt-action.

My CZ-452 (American Model) with scope is not exactly Anschutz caliber, but neither is the price. For under $400 you have a nice, traditional rifle with a really nice walnut stock that will shoot 1/2" groups on the 50-yard line all day.

I have a 10/22 with the Tech Sights AR15-style sights, which is nice. It also came with a scope rail mount.

I have a Browning BuckMark .22 rifle, which is very stylish and nice, but the 10/22 has such a variety of aftermarket options that it is probably the best platform to experiment with.

You specified "target" use, so I would suggest cruising gun shops looking for good used .22 target rifles. Think Remington 513T or 40X, Winchester 52's, Anschutz, etc.. I've found, and bought, all these I've mentioned for under $500.
10/22's are O.K.. They can be reasonably accurate IF you put some money into them, but I would steer towards a quality, used bolt rifle.

Roger that. The Mini's, whether 14 or 30, are a joke.
The great thing about the Mini 30 is that you get all the inaccuracy of the mini 14, plus you can only find reliable 5 round magazines for it -- the aftermarket large capacity magazines don't work. It's soooo much better than an AK.

Or not.

Last edited:
At our last Turkey shoot, one of the club members brought a CZ .22 bolt action rifle. Wow! Talk about tack driver!

Well, I found my .22LR. I got a Savage with the Acu trigger. It also has a heavy barrel. With the Rifle, I also purchased a 3 - 9 Scope, and soft case to carry it. The total for everything was 304. Well under my budget. Now off to buy AMMO.... I will post pic's soon.

I have a Savage in .22 LR, with a heavy barrell and accutrigger. I love it. It came in a package, but the scope left a lot to be desired.
It cost around three hundred. The Ruger is another excellent choice for rifles, and for pistols as well.
Tim

$500 or less?

Ruger 10/22 Carbine

Tech Sights

Sling, swivels and studs

Volquartsen Bolt release/hammer combo

Bell and Carson Mag release

DPMS sight adjusting tool

3 extra Ruger 10/22 mags

Hoppe's Bore Snake

Several boxes of Federal ammo (550 round boxes)

You should still have enough money left to get yourself to a couple of Appleseeds to learn how to shoot it well.

Then scrape together $445, plus just under $25 for shipping, and get an M1 Garand from CMP to go with it.

Don't take my word for it, ask Dwarven1.

The only problem I could see with the Ruger MkIII, now that I think of it, is you'll really want to get familiar with how to assemlbe/dissassemble it. It can be a pain at first, but once you figure it out you should be fine. Took me 3 times to get it.

Majestic Arms makes a wonderful aftermarket kit that greatly speeds the takedown process. Google it!

See that you bought your rifle, good luck. Another option for others to consider is the Ruger 77/22 in .22LR. I've got one with a Leupole MKII 3-9X30 that makes quarter sized groups out to 100 yards. It has the laminated wood stock and Ruger's proprietary "target grey" stainless finish. I'm pretty happy with it.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom