Recommendations for first rifle for long distance?

That's a good point about the 22LR. And I would rather build my skill up and start off cheaper. Not that I hunt now, but if I did eventually is 308 a good choice if hunting deer?
It's an excellent choice for that! I don't think you can possibly find a caliber with greater choices in types and weights than you will have for .308 / .30 caliber. 110 grain scorchers to 220 grain thumpers and everything in between. I've been working on keeping as many of my vintage military match rifles and other types at .308, though my Swedish Mausers shoot 6.5mm just like the 6.5 Creedmoor AR. Not going to list my entire inventory of 30 cal rifles online, but by far I own more guns in that caliber than anything else.

Using a break with 6.5 makes it a joke to stay on target
I’m sure, I use a silencer because I was having headaches from the constant impulse. It helps but we get a lot of NY, NJ and Canadian shooters who can’t suppress so it’s better but not ideal.

Yes, I know there are not any long distance ranges near me, but I would not be able to tell the difference between 300 and 1000 not having shot that far before. So probably the 1000 yard shooting is more of a pipe dream I'm guessing (which is fine). Perhaps 300-500 is more realistic? I currently have 4 AR's, the main one being a 14.5 Andro Corp upper w/ a free float rail and a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot. I'd have to look more into my paperwork for more specs on the barrel if that helps. I appreciate all the info and suggestions from everyone. You guys are terrific resources!
Andro puts together some good stuff. Their barrels are made by ballistic advantage. I would put a scope on it and see what it will do.

22 matches are a lot of fun and good skill builders. Plenty of matches around, some out to 400 yards.

I would stick with 223 or 308 to start. If you get into reloading, there is a ton of components and information out their for both calipers. Not a lot of long ranges around, 223 would be perfect, and it will help you read wind.

If you get a 6.5CM, I will mock all your future posts.

It's an excellent choice for that! I don't think you can possibly find a caliber with greater choices in types and weights than you will have for .308 / .30 caliber. 110 grain scorchers to 220 grain thumpers and everything in between. I've been working on keeping as many of my vintage military match rifles and other types at .308, though my Swedish Mausers shoot 6.5mm just like the 6.5 Creedmoor AR. Not going to list my entire inventory of 30 cal rifles online, but by far I own more guns in that caliber than anything else.
30 cal is the way

300 win mag master race

First off , by NRA definition "Long Range" begins at 800 yds. The first issue with cheap starter $500 rifles is the cheap plastic flexi-stocks. The barrels will shoot very good, but the plastic forends will contact the barrel and cause inconsistiencies. You can add a cheap $275 Magpul stock which is actually a great stock , but now your $500 rifle is up to $775 . Then you need to buy an optic. This is an extremly hotly debated subject . I don't own a flagship $2000 optic, my most expensive optic is a $1200 Burris XTRII F class 8-40x scope. In hindsight WAYY too much magnification even for when I shot 1000 yds. My sweet spot for choosing power is about 3-4x per 100 yds . When I shoot 600 yds I like about 18x - 24x for "F Class" target precision. I also enjoy challenging myself with my 1903A4 with a 2.5x fixed optic. You can't beat a Sightron scope for the buck . Excellent glass, excellent tracking for about $800ish . For surprisingly decent glass and tracking for cheap I like Primary Arms scopes. A key to maximizing accuracy with ANY rifle is get into precision handloading. I've shot rifles using $3500 34mm Zeiss optics and yes they are outstanding bright clear glass , but with my terrible eyes the Zeiss is NOT 3x times better than my $800 Sightron optic. My 1st purchase opinions would be to buy a Rem 700 Varmint in 308 , buy a Magpul stock, buy the best 20 - 24X optic you can afford, AND get set up to handload.

Last edited:
Drive out to look at your target every shot.

i need a spotting scope
We used to make my cousin hide in a ditch off to the side of the targets when we were sighting in rifles before hunting season. We'd all shoot, he'd get up and check the targets, give us a wave left/right/up/down, and then go jump back in his hole in the ground. He doesn't speak to me anymore, I can't figure out why.

If you want to get into PRS long range shooting and spend less money, my advice would be to build a quality rimfire rifle like a Vudoo or RimX that won't need to be upgraded later, Bergara B14R steel barrel or CZ457 if on a budget, and spend the rest on glass. They aren't "cheap", but it is the less expensive longterm investment and you should know ahead of time that shooting long range isn't an inexpensive sport. There will be at least 6 or 7 clubs running sanctioned PRS22 matches in the PRS New England region next year, which means you'll get a shitload of trigger time and positional practice shooting 22lr out to 400yds. The same concepts of knowing your dope, reading wind, and building stable positions on the clock still apply.

Then, when you decide to take the leap into centerfire, you'll have met a ton of people who shoot both and you will have already developed your own preferences on bags and gear, and will have all the beginner kinks worked out in regards to setting up your rifle, finding targets, building positions, etc.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any interest in PRS and have questions, happy to help.

That I'm not sure, but thinking from 300-1000 from what some others are saying. Like, I don't even know what a general range is to hunt deer. [laugh]
In ma, typically fifty feet. Maybe up to 250 feet if you are hunting someones orchard.

Out west, 200 to 800 yards because it is so open. Maybe 2000 yards if you are shooting at a longhorn on the next mountain peak

I'll also add that if you do jump into centerfire, the only quality factory "beginner" rifle that will be worth building on down the road without the need for a gunsmith is a Tikka. Tolerances during manufacturing are so tight that you can buy shouldered prefit barrels for them, otherwise only offered for custom actions. Rem700 is a QC gamble and won't accept Remage barrel nut prefits if you have the action trued. Savage actions are clunky/rough and often have extraction/ejection issues, and will ultimately leave you wanting something better/smoother to stay on target while cycling the action during positional shooting. Bergaras are the only real contender for a factory action but you'll need a gunsmith to rebarrel it, and barrels are considered disposables when you're shooting 1500+ match rounds per season. Howas are supposedly good, but the ones I've played with were not very smooth and these tend to be more popular overseas where there is more aftermarket support.

Tikka T3 = 700ish
Scope base = 80-100
KRG Bravo = 369
Criterion barrel or shouldered prefit = 500-800 depending on blank, gunsmith, etc.

That's about the most budget friendly option that you won't want to ditch after your first match, and gives you flexibility to build out the Tikka action in a different configuration down the road. I would take that over any other $1500-1800 factory rifle out there.

First off , by NRA definition "Long Range" begins at 800 yds. The first issue with cheap starter $500 rifles is the cheap plastic flexi-stocks. The barrels will shoot very good, but the plastic forends will contact the barrel and cause inconsistiencies. You can add a cheap $275 Magpul stock which is actually a great stock , but now your $500 rifle is up to $775 . Then you need to buy an optic. This is an extremly hotly debated subject . I don't own a flagship $2000 optic, my most expensive optic is a $1200 Burris XTRII F class 8-40x scope. In hindsight WAYY too much magnification even for when I shot 1000 yds. My sweet spot for choosing power is about 3-4x per 100 yds . When I shoot 600 yds I like about 18x - 24x for "F Class" target precision. I also enjoy challenging myself with my 1903A4 with a 2.5x fixed optic. You can't beat a Sightron scope for the buck . Excellent glass, excellent tracking for about $800ish . For surprisingly decent glass and tracking for cheap I like Primary Arms scopes. A key to maximizing accuracy with ANY rifle is get into precision handloading. I've shot rifles using $3500 34mm Zeiss optics and yes they are outstanding bright clear glass , but with my terrible eyes the Zeiss is NOT 3x times better than my $800 Sightron optic. My 1st purchase opinions would be to buy a Rem 700 Varmint in 308 , buy a Magpul stock, buy the best 20 - 24X optic you can afford, AND get set up to handload.
Op being smart by asking 4 advices on a longrange rifle before he spend any money . Here is my failed attemp at building a longrange rifle instead of buying an ar15
Steven 200(same as savage 10) in 308 375$
Lss chassis 350$ ist
Weaver 4x 160$
200$ for other suff...
2k of 308 ammo (many different types and bullet weights)
Then i find out that not too many 300yards+ rifleranges in newengland states, and a real scope cost like 800😣
I end up zero the gun 3inch high @ 100 yards, it should be good for hunting out to 300 yards, and wash my hand over the whole thing 😂

Attachments

• 20211231_191107.jpg
    20211231_191107.jpg
    578.1 KB · Views: 15
I saw a REM700 chassis rifle topped with a Nightforce NXS 3.5-15 in the classifieds. More rifle than you need for 1000.

Ruger Precision Rifle is the bolt gun of the year and is amazing. If you want simple, get RPR in 308 or 6.5CM. Guaranteed superb precision, easy upgrades and easy to maintain. RPR is the 21st century equivalent of 20th century's Savage 110 and Remington 700.

The real question is what access you will have to truly long range shooting. If you think you will regularly be shooting at 500 plus yards, go ahead and get a good long range rifle like a Ruger Precision rifle or a Bergara. I will warn you though, if you get a good long range rifle, one that’s capable of reliably going out to 600, 700, or 1,000 yards and then just shoot it at 200-300 yards you will end up being mightily bored. Modern long range rifles and their corresponding optics, when shot with decent match grad commercial ammo, make hitting the bull at 200 or 300 yards pretty simple. At that range with a 6.5 Creedmoor you can almost ignore the wind and your drop will be very consistent. As long as you have a respectable trigger squeeze, you’ll be ringing a three inch steal all day long and reliably hitting the ten ring on paper.

Now, shooting out to 1,000 yards is something completely different. A 6.5 Creedmoor will drop about 320 inches at that range (that’s a little over 26 and a half FEET). And even a slight breeze will have a significant impact on your trajectory. That’s why the 1,000 yard ranges here out East are so stringent on their qualifications. You technically will be aiming over 26 feet above your target. Get your windage wrong and you could easily send a round well off range. In the wide open spaces in the West that might not be a big deal, but in the more densely populated North East that could be a real problem.

The real question is what access you will have to truly long range shooting. If you think you will regularly be shooting at 500 plus yards, go ahead and get a good long range rifle like a Ruger Precision rifle or a Bergara. I will warn you though, if you get a good long range rifle, one that’s capable of reliably going out to 600, 700, or 1,000 yards and then just shoot it at 200-300 yards you will end up being mightily bored. Modern long range rifles and their corresponding optics, when shot with decent match grad commercial ammo, make hitting the bull at 200 or 300 yards pretty simple. At that range with a 6.5 Creedmoor you can almost ignore the wind and your drop will be very consistent. As long as you have a respectable trigger squeeze, you’ll be ringing a three inch steal all day long and reliably hitting the ten ring on paper.

Now, shooting out to 1,000 yards is something completely different. A 6.5 Creedmoor will drop about 320 inches at that range (that’s a little over 26 and a half FEET). And even a slight breeze will have a significant impact on your trajectory. That’s why the 1,000 yard ranges here out East are so stringent on their qualifications. You technically will be aiming over 26 feet above your target. Get your windage wrong and you could easily send a round well off range. In the wide open spaces in the West that might not be a big deal, but in the more densely populated North East that could be a real problem.
This is why I sold my 700 years ago, I only had access to the 200 range in Pembroke, it was boring AF to shoot it, I didn't even have to try.

I shoot 600 yard competitions (considered mid-range by NRA) in both Nashua and Keene N.H. been doing it for about 6 years. Started with .308 also used 6.5 Creedmoor and .223. Currently use .223, 6BR Norma and am in the process of building a 6.5 X 47 Lapua. all are built on Savage target actions. All will do the job. Don't skimp on the scope, if you want to be competitive, reload. If you just want to plink factory ammo will do.

Op being smart by asking 4 advices on a longrange rifle before he spend any money . Here is my failed attemp at building a longrange rifle instead of buying an ar15
Steven 200(same as savage 10) in 308 375$
Lss chassis 350$ ist
Weaver 4x 160$
200$ for other suff...
2k of 308 ammo (many different types and bullet weights)
Then i find out that not too many 300yards+ rifleranges in newengland states, and a real scope cost like 800😣
I end up zero the gun 3inch high @ 100 yards, it should be good for hunting out to 300 yards, and wash my hand over the whole thing 😂
Thx, I appreciate you sharing your story. Certainly gives me pause before dropping some cash and not knowing what I might be getting into. I am liking one of the others suggestion of considering starting our with a 22LR rifle. It will take me a while to pull the trigger anyways, not much of a splurge spender!

Andro puts together some good stuff. Their barrels are made by ballistic advantage. I would put a scope on it and see what it will do.

22 matches are a lot of fun and good skill builders. Plenty of matches around, some out to 400 yards.

I would stick with 223 or 308 to start. If you get into reloading, there is a ton of components and information out their for both calipers. Not a lot of long ranges around, 223 would be perfect, and it will help you read wind.

If you get a 6.5CM, I will mock all your future posts.
You got me to laugh with that last part!! [laugh]

…or search the WTS classifieds…

A quick note, WRT hunting. Folks have already covered that in the northeast, you're probably looking at shots under 200 yds, so not really "long range." In MA, there is no rifle season for deer. Coyote or black bear, sure. Or you can use 22 for squirrel and rabbit.

I guess what I'm getting at is, more of the same: figure out what you're looking to do, then buy gear for it. If you think you'd like to get into hunting, figure out what you'd like to hunt, and what methods are available where you'll be. Until you have a stronger direction, setting up a 22 seems like the smartest option (then go to an Appleseed)

A quick note, WRT hunting. Folks have already covered that in the northeast, you're probably looking at shots under 200 yds, so not really "long range." In MA, there is no rifle season for deer. Coyote or black bear, sure. Or you can use 22 for squirrel and rabbit.

I guess what I'm getting at is, more of the same: figure out what you're looking to do, then buy gear for it. If you think you'd like to get into hunting, figure out what you'd like to hunt, and what methods are available where you'll be. Until you have a stronger direction, setting up a 22 seems like the smartest option (then go to an Appleseed)
100%
This is why people have more than one rifle. Everyone tries to buy the one "do all" rifle, it doesn't work that way. One can make due, but it doesn't make it right.

My favorite hunting rifle for the northeast is an old Winchester 94 in 44mag. I am not shooting 900M with that, I am lucky to shoot 125M with it.

This is exactly why earlier I mentioned to do your research, figure out everything you need, then narrow down your search.

I always tried to understand why people do things without researching. VCMAM, I am not picking on you, it is just that your post is a good example.

I know plenty of people that do the same (not just in the shooting world) and end up spending thousands more than they thought they would need.

Maybe this is why it takes me almost a year to decide on what to buy next and I never sell anything. But I am never surprised by costs or places to shoot.

Ok, lot of people saying you cant shoot past 200/300 yds in New England and that is not true. It may not be as convenient as shlepping your shit to the nearest 200yd range to mess around for an hour, but it's very possible. If you really want to get into "long range" in this area, you need to shoot PRS. Next best thing would be 600yd competitions at Reading. There are currently 3 clubs in New England running PRS matches and one in NY that is a 4hr drive from Boston. I shot about 15 centerfire matches with distances out to 1250 yards between 4 clubs in 2021... Granby (MA), Alderbrook (NH), Field of Dreams (NH) and Sheepdog (NY). There's a bunch of us that do it from the area, most aren't on this site.

Ok, lot of people saying you cant shoot past 200/300 yds in New England and that is not true. It may not be as convenient as shlepping your shit to the nearest 200yd range to mess around for an hour, but it's very possible. If you really want to get into "long range" in this area, you need to shoot PRS. Next best thing would be 600yd competitions at Reading. There are currently 3 clubs in New England running PRS matches and one in NY that is a 4hr drive from Boston. I shot about 15 centerfire matches with distances out to 1250 yards between 4 clubs in 2021... Granby (MA), Alderbrook (NH), Field of Dreams (NH) and Sheepdog (NY). There's a bunch of us that do it from the area, most aren't on this site.
Im 40 minutes from reading but its basically a full day . Finding that time to take a fullday to go shooting is not easy for everyone. This is why I never bothered go dip my fingers into “long range”
If I can get to Reading for service rifle a few times a year to shoot the AR thats great for me

Back
Top Bottom