Recommendations for first rifle for long distance?

Thediwn side to sub $500 scopes really comes into light with just how bad some of them track …. Thing is most people dont even check
This.

Here's why tracking is important:

If your idea of long range shooting is simply to be able to do it via eventually finding the target AND you can find a range that is laid back enough to let you do that, then by all means skimp on glass. If you want to hit targets with any reliability and/or not get booted off the range you must have a scope that tracks well regardless of weather and usual wear and tear. At Granby they did not mess around at all regarding who could shoot what on the long distance range. They called it orientation but it was in reality a qualification. The day I was there, 15 people showed up and 8 of them went home w/o the long range stamp on their membership card. I think a couple of them were not even allowed to pull a trigger because they had cheap scopes. Other DQ's were lacking match quality ammo still supersonic at 1,000 yards, lack of DOPE based on chrony data, etc. Even if one actually was paying attention to the pre shooting requirements, if your first shot was a miss it better be on the berm next to the target. You get a correction then your next shot better hit or you go home. Your next target is picked at random and you have to make the elevation & windage corrections AND get a hit- or go home. The steel plate targets at these distances are not visible without a scope, and hard to find even with a scope if you do not know where they are. Berms can be quite small, but for safety sake your misses need to at least be on the berm. Hell, even the berms can be hard to see at those distances. If a scope's tracking isn't capable of running back and forth between BIG adjustments in elevation and coming back to the same POI every time, you're screwed.

I'm not at all trying to discourage anyone from trying true long distance shooting and if a dipshite like me can do it, anyone can- but there are no shortcuts unless you have your own 1,000 yard range to play around on and you are OK with hit or miss results. If you can even gain access to a 1,000 yard range- you are unlikely to get the green light to use it unless you have all of the above mentioned details worked out and can prove that you have done so. I think a lot of the online videos make the process look much easier than it actually is because basically they are just showing someone pull a trigger and ding a plate. Also a lot of those videos are out west in open land where nobody really gives a rip if you miss the plate by a country mile. Given the tight quarters and many anti-2A enemies we have here in the east- the stakes are higher to stay on target. Unless someone who has already done the homework hands you ammo + rifle already sighted in for that specific target, it's not that simple.

edit - I went for the Leupold Long Range Precision scope that at the time was a reasonably affordable but quality option. Those are now $1K to give an example of the cost associated with a solid long range scope.

Last edited:
For me locally, I picked up a Howa barreled action in 6.5 creed... for $350
Dropped it into a Boyd's stock for another $200
And caught the sale for this glass at $700 (I feel like I should have bought more than 2 at that price point.)

Down the road from my house, I've got steel setup at 650 yards. If I catch the desire to stretch it further, 3 points range here in town has a 1k range.
But all in all, I'm really satisfied with it.

went for the Leupold Long Range Precision scope
well, the vortex pst2 5-25x eurooptic still has on sale for $660 something with a 2D reticle would work just fine for tracking. as close to a $500 scope as is. :)
i am not saying it is as good as a $2500 leupold - but it will work (fine).

- Forget about caliber right now.

Focus on what you want to do with it.

Hunt?

Compete? - if so, what type of competition?

F*ck around and plink?

Once you decide what you want to do with the rifle, you decide on the caliber.

Example: A lot of competitions have limits for caliber, rifle weight, some (like F class) have limits on overall rifle price.

Example 2: PRS and F class are both long range, but they require different rifles. A PRS rifle can be used for F class but you probably won't win anything. An F class rifle might be too heavy and slow for PRS. Both the PRS and F class might not be good choices for hunting.

Decide on all that, then focus on action, caliber, barrel length, bipod or no bipod, scope ...

Adding: also focus on ammo cost. If you will use it to f*ck around, will you reload or buy factory? ... good ammo can get expensive and soon the nice rifle becomes a safe queen.

savage bolt action .300 win mag or .300 win short mag in stainless steel. very flexible rifle. plenty of power, but it won't take off your shoulder. good flat trajectory 1200 yards range

You need to consider realistically what long distance will be for you. 300 is really not long distance- certainly some skill involved, but barely any more so than for 200. 600 is getting 'real' in terms of skill set but there are many choices in equipment and calibers that can work at that distance. If 600 is your realistic limit based on available range etc., .223 or .308 is fine and no need for anything else.

The gap between 600 yard capability and 1000 yard capability is HUGE, in my humble opinion. For a beginner I'd recommend 6.5 (first choice for beginner) or 6mm Creedmoor so you can work with factory ammo before you take the dive into reloading. Don't forget that even on a moderately priced scope you will likely spend more on the 'glass' than the rifle. You absolutely can't shoot long distance with a crap cheap scope.

Here's a slightly different take: Consider 22LR PRS shooting? Shooting 22LR at 200 yards will have a similar level of challenge as centerfire at much greater distances; plus the equipment and ammo will be WAY cheaper. You will get tons more trigger time, so if you decide to take a deeper dive your skill set will already be honed.
That's a good point about the 22LR. And I would rather build my skill up and start off cheaper. Not that I hunt now, but if I did eventually is 308 a good choice if hunting deer?

That's a good point about the 22LR. And I would rather build my skill up and start off cheaper. Not that I hunt now, but if I did eventually is 308 a good choice if hunting deer?

My first rifle was a Bergera HMR in 6.5cm. Works great out to 700 yards and I also took it out hunting

308 is good too, probably better for New England

Others have covered it pretty well so I'll only add this: be honest with yourself about "how far out is LIKE to shoot" vs. "How far out I WILL shoot 98-100% of the time".

Talk to us about the 223 AR you currently own. Barrel? Floated? You can make that into an absolute hammer out to 600 very easily and inexpensively. It may not be the ultimate rig for 1000yds, but it is done frequently. Plus; how often, and more importantly, where, are you going to shoot 1000 yards in New England?
Yes, I know there are not any long distance ranges near me, but I would not be able to tell the difference between 300 and 1000 not having shot that far before. So probably the 1000 yard shooting is more of a pipe dream I'm guessing (which is fine). Perhaps 300-500 is more realistic? I currently have 4 AR's, the main one being a 14.5 Andro Corp upper w/ a free float rail and a Bushnell TRS 25 red dot. I'd have to look more into my paperwork for more specs on the barrel if that helps. I appreciate all the info and suggestions from everyone. You guys are terrific resources!

That I'm not sure, but thinking from 300-1000 from what some others are saying. Like, I don't even know what a general range is to hunt deer. [laugh]
You are in SE MA.

1. Deer ranges there are like 50 yards.
2. There is only one 300 yard range, maybe 2 in that area.
3. The only ranges greater than 300, that I am aware of, are Granby (far from you) or Reading (not looking for new members), also far from you.

It looks like you have no idea what you want to do, so I will spare you frustration and your money.

Forget about the rifle and the caliber until you do all your research and figure out what you want to do.

At 300 yards, a $400 bolt action off the shelf .223 will be accurate and boring.

Ok, admittedly there are limited number of options for quality scopes in that price point.

I will admit to being an Athlon Optics fan just for that reason. Tibosaurusrex & Ultimate Reloader have done videos on their impressive quality.

Tibosaurusrex has an amazing collection of videos, if you're not familiar with him, on long distance shooting.

View: https://youtu.be/clC7AZmEwEA

I will check that out! Thx

How many shots/ at what rate? 20 slow prone like in a match? or a few over an hour?

i.e., the Savage Axis is quite accurate cold-bore (& affordable), but the thin barrel heats up & moves if you don't wait for cooling between shots

If you're at highpower match type distance (100-200-300-600) yds & 10 shots in a minute rapid fife & 20-in 20minutes slow fire, White Oak Uppers are quite good for your AR

ps - what calibers will your range allow? Magnums?

pps for highpower matches, it's 4.5X max scope power

You are in SE MA.

1. Deer ranges there are like 50 yards.
2. There is only one 300 yard range, maybe 2 in that area.
3. The only ranges greater than 300, that I am aware of, are Granby (far from you) or Reading (not looking for new members), also far from you.

It looks like you have no idea what you want to do, so I will spare you frustration and your money.

Forget about the rifle and the caliber until you do all your research and figure out what you want to do.

At 300 yards, a $400 bolt action off the shelf .223 will be accurate and boring.
So 375 CheyTac?

Is .338 Lapua Mag not a thing anymore?
think more unobtanioum......

Realistically speaking a 30-30 would be hard to argue against in new england. .308 if you have that bolt action itch to scratch. A savage axis II with the accutrigger from the local walmart would be a great rifle, (Toss that floppy plastic stock, and buy a Boyd's laminated hardwood one.)
If you don't reload, start. There are fantastic members here on NES that will happily help you learn how to. If you don't want to go down that rabbit hole, then you need commonality of ammuniton. Like the old guys that brag about being able to score 30-06 anywhere on earth. 308, 30-06, or .300 mag are fantastic options. And the .300 mag is amazing point blank to 600 yards with no hold over. Factory 6.5 is fantastic if you can find it right now.

But as Broccoli pointed out, not many options for ranges nearby you that you can stretch the distance out. That said, working targets at 100 yards with a ruger american in .22lr will teach you a lot more about extended range shooting than you realize.

Ok, admittedly there are limited number of options for quality scopes in that price point.

I will admit to being an Athlon Optics fan just for that reason. Tibosaurusrex & Ultimate Reloader have done videos on their impressive quality.

Tibosaurusrex has an amazing collection of videos, if you're not familiar with him, on long distance shooting.

This is the exact scope I put on my RPR a couple years ago and it turned my into an Athlon fanboy.

You've been given a lot of good advice, as somebody two years into PRS and absolutely in love don't go too cheap. Depending on what you want to shoot staying with the 6mm rounds is super important as you can spot your own shots. I use 6mm Dasher but CM and GT are all good. As someone else noted loading your own is the single biggest improvement you can give yourself. I'm using a custom built Tikka but I was invited to a range day by Seekins and this new Havak HIT is really nice for the money. I started with an RPR, I grew out of it very quickly. Its easily upgradable but I just put it back on the shelf.

This Seekins is amazing for the money but there are literally dozens of options in the 2 to 3K range, including the Bergara somebody pointed out earlier, they are great rifles for the money.

You've been given a lot of good advice, as somebody two years into PRS and absolutely in love don't go too cheap. Depending on what you want to shoot staying with the 6mm rounds is super important as you can spot your own shots. I use 6mm Dasher but CM and GT are all good. As someone else noted loading your own is the single biggest improvement you can give yourself. I'm using a custom built Tikka but I was invited to a range day by Seekins and this new Havak HIT is really nice for the money. I started with an RPR, I grew out of it very quickly. Its easily upgradable but I just put it back on the shelf.

This Seekins is amazing for the money but there are literally dozens of options in the 2 to 3K range, including the Bergara somebody pointed out earlier, they are great rifles for the money.

Using a break with 6.5 makes it a joke to stay on target

Using a break with 6.5 makes it a joke to stay on target
It's funny you say that. First 6.5cm I had, Dad went with me to dial in the scope. His hunting rifle at the time was a .300 weatherby. After our range session, he told mom he needs one of those creedmoor's because they don't suck to shoot.

Tibosaurusrex & Ultimate Reloader pretty much the first youtube watching I did.
good stuff

Back
Top Bottom