• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

recommend a lower cost cabinet?

Hi All,

My girlfriend got an unexpected bonus at work, and told me she wanted to get me a gun cabinet for Xmas. I don't want here to go out and spend a couple hundred on a cabinet, because i can't reciprocate the gift.

can any of you recommend something. Mainly, I wanted to be able to keep the shotgun and some ammo in it while it's in the bedroom. a few extra shelves would be nice for pistols etc.

Any recommendations? I'd like it to be close to the $100 mark.

Hi All,

My girlfriend got an unexpected bonus at work, and told me she wanted to get me a gun cabinet for Xmas. I don't want here to go out and spend a couple hundred on a cabinet, because i can't reciprocate the gift.

can any of you recommend something. Mainly, I wanted to be able to keep the shotgun and some ammo in it while it's in the bedroom. a few extra shelves would be nice for pistols etc.

Any recommendations? I'd like it to be close to the $100 mark.

For that amount you're probably looking at buying something from Stack-On. They have some low cost options that should fit the bill. You can find them at your local Dick's Sporting Goods store.

Stack-On also makes a long gun cabinet that you can recess into the wall between two studs. But I believe that's more expensive.
I have a Homak that is similar but has two lock points and is a bit heavier (70 lbs versus 64) and a bit more expensive.

There's always the Mossberg Lock Box for less than $50.

Last edited:
In addition to my primary save, I have a couple of the 2-door Stack-On cabinets for my cheaper rifles and ammo:

http://www.amazon.com/Stack-Double-...e=UTF8&s=sporting-goods&qid=1261602949&sr=1-4

The second door with the shelves is REALLY handy - far more useful than the one-door model. I think I paid $180 for mine (it was $200 at Dicks, and I had one of those $20 coupon).

Keep in mind, though, these are just cheap aluminum cabinets - they're not pry-proof.

I'm not too worried about pry proof. it's mainly for anyone coming over (invited), my nephew and to comply with the law and not have to have a trigger lock on.

I have plans in the future to own a more rugged safe, but first i have to move out of the second floor condo. I wouldn't want to have to move a massive safe when/ if i move.

I think the Stack-on 8 gun cabinet goes for about $100, check the Dick's website.

I bought an Stack-on 18 gun cabinet for $250 at Bass Pro, Dicks had it for $199 [angry] Either way I'm happy with it and I can change the shelving to what I like.

I think the Stack-on 8 gun cabinet goes for about $100, check the Dick's website.

I bought an Stack-on 18 gun cabinet for $250 at Bass Pro, Dicks had it for $199 [angry] Either way I'm happy with it and I can change the shelving to what I like.

I agree on the Stack On or Homak or any other Stack On look-a-like. I have 3 different Stack On cabinets plus a safe. The 8 gun cab was my first. They are all made out of steel but it wouldn't take too much effort to pry one open (would make a bit of noise though). For what you are looking for and what you are looking to spend, Tim94gt is spot on.

Happy Festivus.

For that amount you're probably looking at buying something from Stack-On. They have some low cost options that should fit the bill. You can find them at your local Dick's Sporting Goods store.

+1. Remember, no sales tax on gun safes.

Back
Top Bottom