Rechambering NEF Handi Rifle .223 for .22-250

I am a big fan of NEF Handi Rifles. I have had really good luck with them, with accuracy and reliability. I have a .223 handi and want to have it rechambered to .22-250. I was wondering what people think of the .22-250, is it enough better than the .223 to do this? Also, will I run into problems with bore diameter, twist rate or any other issues I may not have addressed. I have looked at the ballistics and it seems to be quite a bit faster, which is what I want. I am looking to shoot 400+ yards, and I think the extra velocity will help. I also like to have things that are different than everybody else, and everybody has a .223. The cost of this is not an issue, as my Dad is a machinist with 35+ years of experience, so my only real cost will be renting a chambering reamer. I know I could just buy a rifle chambered in .22-250, but I already have this one. If there is another caliber that you think I will have better luck with that is offered in the Handi, or that I could rechamber the Handi to, please let me know. Any suggestions or constructive criticism are welcome.

Last edited:
I don't think you can rechamber a 223 to 22-250 cheaper than NEF can fit a 22-250 barrel to your rifle

Barrel Accessory Program

22-250 Blued barrel $90
Labor Charge $20
S&H $17

$137 EDIT: I can't do math in my head - $127

The main reason I would go to NEF for a barrel is the ridiculous number of unstarted/half-finished projects I have going. If they can do it for me, at this point i'd pay for not adding to my list.
Unless, of course, you went with Elk Ridge Reamer Rentals, and did it yourself.

You run the risk of buying them a new reamer if you mangle it, though. Having someone with experience as your dad does will bring that down to near zero, I would think.

22-250 will give you more velocity, which couldn't hurt, but if I were looking to build a long range gun, I'd start somewhere besides 22 cal. bullets. Something in the 6 - 6.5 - 7 mm range, popular enough for long range shooting that high BC bullets are easy to find. Personal preference, really.

Of course, if you want to try a 22, I'd say get that 22-250 and try it - that's most of the fun, right? Please let us know how the project goes, however you get it accomplished!

Last edited:
Get one directly from NEF. The way the thing locks up with that lug on the bottom of the barrel, I'm not sure how you could correct the headspace if you blew it and went a little deep.

For a $137 bucks you cant beat it.

B

Thanks for all the info. I was offered a handi with .223 and .243 barrels, and .243 is probably better than a .22-250 for long range, as it is a 6mm bullet. So if the price is right, that will be the road I am going to take. I have a friend that loves my .223 and has wanted to buy it since he shot it,( I out-shoot his $600 .222 bolt gun/$250 scope with it constantly!) and that will pay for most of the .243. Let me know what you guys think!

Sounds like a good choice - especially if you reload. Lots of 6mm bullet choices out there, and an easy cartridge to find commercial ammo for. I found a writeup on the cartridge at 6mmBR.com, which has links to a lot more info on the 243.

Back
Top Bottom