Receiver in the hands of another

Producer

NES Member
I am currently getting another parkerization done by a friend. The parkerizing is done behind closed doors by a man with a LTC. We are then discussing gold plating, which someone we know does.

This other place doing the gold plating is going to be in a higher traffic area and the man does not have an LTC. What is the legality of someone gold plating a AK receiver and barrel? This is a legitimate business deal, and I don't want to get anyone in trouble.

Must have a LTC! Felony possession without . . . unless you (or another LTC holder) stands there the entire time and takes control of receiver. If shop has a FFL as a mfr/dealer/etc. I think it would be legal without the employee holding an LTC, but I'm not 100% certain of this exception.

IIRC, Federal law requires a FFL for gunsmithing, again, unless the owner is present during the work. Refinishing or plating would be considered gunsmithing.
It might be an exception, if you loaned your gun to a friend, and he refinished it without charging for the work.
It's a situation that you are correct about being cautious.

In MA, I'm sure we have to worry about a lot of things with other people doing work on our guns. But, consider the SBR/AOW's being built by individuals. It's recommended on other boards to have a jeweler engrave your name/address on the receiver. I'd say it's safe to assume that most jewelers don't have an FFL.

Personally, I wouldn't get too worked up over things. I would make sure that the weapon was properly secured when not being worked on, but other than that, I'd let your friend do the plating for you.

The federal wording is "Constructive control".

So as long as you are present and have "constructive control" of the firearm then the person doing the work does not need to have a LTC.

Not a lawyer, just my experience and $.02

Back
Top Bottom