Received ALP LTC-A in Arlington, and my experiences

A few days ago I got "the call" from the PD, so I went down and picked it up and it was indeed the ALP I had requested. Yay! (Though Arlington is a "green" town, so I suppose it should have been expected, but I wasn't taking anything for granted).

Since I've posted a bunch of questions here, I figured I owed the group pack to post on my experience so that any future Arlingtonians applying for an LTC would have an idea what to expect.

The APD bifurcates the process. You have to hand in the filled-out paper application (and only that) at first. On my application I put down "for all lawful purposes" (and only that) on the Reason for Issuance line. Then about a week later (to give them time to type it into MIRCS, I guess) you call the lieutenant delegated to handling firearms licenses and set up an interview. When you come to the interview, you bring your $100 check, your safety class certificate, and a signed acknowledgement that you read the AG's statement on MA deadly force laws (that last is the only "extra" thing Arlington makes applicants submit).

While probably overkill, when I went to my interview, I decided to go "full professional" and showed up in a suit and tie. I have no idea if that helped or hurt. The LT brought up the MIRCS system and took my picture with a webcam. Then the LT did the fingerprint scan. That took a while, since the scanner was balky and it was hard to the magic dot in the capture box. After that, the LT did an old-fashioned fingerprint card of me (ten fingers plus all five fingers together on each hand, plus upper half of palm of each hand. Since I had no idea if this was legally required and because having held a Secret clearance back when I worked in the defense biz, my fingerprints were already in the system, I didn't say anything about it.

The "interview" itself was very short. The LT asked me what my address was and how long I had lived in Arlington. Then the LT asked me why I wanted the license. Since Arlington is "green" and since the cover letter you get when you pick up a blank application says that "generally, ALPs are issued", I kept it short and simply and responded "For personal protection, hunting, shooting with friends on the range -- basically, all lawful purposes". That drew a half-grunted "all right" as a response.

The LT then photcopied my safety certificate and gave the original back (without any need to ask for it back), took my check, and gave me a dated receipt for the check (with the application number written on the receipt, as, I assume, MIRCS had already generated an application number). Then the LT went back to the MIRCS terminal, gave the application the once over (when the LT brought it up when I first came in, the "All lawful purposes" radio button was already selected), printed it out, and had me sign it.

The LT was averagely curteous, though I had to sit through some cracks about "you gun nuts". I couldn't tell if the LT was just being a ballbuster or if there was actual animosity toward LTC applicants.

I was told that the MSP was backed up and the license would take 4-6 weeks and was asked if I wanted it sooner. Because of the "gun nut" cracks, I deciding to play it safe and that the normal processing would be fine, and that was it for submitting the application.

Then a few days ago I got the call. From interview/final submission to getting the call was 38 days. Along with the license was a form letter from EOPS reminding me of the notice requirements if I move and another form with my Personal Firearms ID Number (PIN) that I guess I need to provide when buying a gun.

I hope anyone from Arlington who is looking to apply will find this post useful.

It's possible the licensing officer isn't a believer in the 2A, however, it's not up to him, it's up to the CofP.

Thanks for the report, and oh yeah, CONGRATS! :D

Congrats and thanks for the info.

Adam

PS. It took me 7 attempts to spell my name correctly at the end of this post.. I don't know what's wrong with me today.. Ohhh yeah, it's Monday. :D

swatmedic said:
another form with my Personal Firearms ID Number (PIN) that I guess I need to provide when buying a gun.

Whats this about. I have never heard of this.
From FSguns, it somehow alows someone to purchase a firearm if they loose their LTC.
I lost my PIN card a long time ago, probably a week after getting the LTC.

Im curious how one can purchase the firearm, if leaving the store w/ it is a fellony (no LTC in hand = no LTC at all)

Republic of Mass said:
swatmedic said:
another form with my Personal Firearms ID Number (PIN) that I guess I need to provide when buying a gun.

Whats this about. I have never heard of this.
From FSguns, it somehow alows someone to purchase a firearm if they loose their LTC.
I lost my PIN card a long time ago, probably a week after getting the LTC.

Im curious how one can purchase the firearm, if leaving the store w/ it is a fellony (no LTC in hand = no LTC at all)

another well thought out idea from the morons that run this state.

It is my understanding that the PIN is for those times when they can't get a good fingerprint scan on the new MIRCS system. It is ONLY a bypass for the fingerprint (e.g. you go to buy a gun and it won't accept your fingerprint on the little reader at the store).

You are right, possession of a firearm/ammo/mag without having a LTC/FID (whatever is appropriate for item) IN POSSESSION at that time is a crime. Leaving the LTC at home is NOT an option.

When your LTC is lost/stolen, you are treated as if you never had one regarding possession of these items. At least with new MIRCS system, they will rapidly re-issue a replacement (same LTC number/expiration date). Old system was a full application/fee all over again and wait months for a new LTC (new LTC number and expiration date).

"After that, the LT did an old-fashioned fingerprint card of me (ten fingers plus all five fingers together on each hand, plus upper half of palm of each hand. Since I had no idea if this was legally required and because having held a Secret clearance back when I worked in the defense biz, my fingerprints were already in the system, I didn't say anything about it."

First congratulations on getting your license,

The fact that your fingerprints were in "the system" from a security clearance has absolutely nothing to do with the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. When you were printed by that Lt. it was to run your prints against the Massachusetts Criminal Data Base in the AFIS computer. From there, your prints were forwarded to the IAFIS in West Virginia run by the FBI, who checked you against their criminal data base. I might add that this FBI check is something that has only been introduced in the last six or seven months, also contrary to what you may think, and unlike other states, the Mass AFIS is a stand alone system, it does not automatically send your prints to other states to be run. Some states have this, and eventually all the AFIS systems in the US at the state level, anyway will be connected...but not yet and probably not for a long time.

Now believe it or not, your fingerprints taken as a result of civil actions such as employment are NOT kept on computer file in Massachusetts. Only people arrested for criminal offenses have their prints permanently stored in the AFIS data base. So, when someone commits a crime and leaves prints at the scene, those prints are only run against criminal prints. This was the decision of the AG's office and the legal dept of the MSP.

I did this for almost six years, and I can assure you that you were legally required to submit your prints to the state for licensing purposes.

Regards,

Mark

Also, I have verified that the PDs (and apparently MSP/CHSB/FRB/etc.) have NO access to any info about any security clearances. Thus, there apparently is another whole system or two that store that info on those of us who have/had various types of security clearances.

I thought it would all be merged at the FBI, but now believe this NOT to be the case.

Speaking of SC's - here's a question. When the police do their background check, would that show up? We had a student last year who held a VERY high security clearance. He got his license in <drum roll>...ya ready for this? 3, count 'em *3* days. He's not bud's with the chief either. I asked him who he knew at the station. He said other than when he met the L.O. for his prints, etc., no one. So....would that show?

Since I routinely run background checks in support of our investigations, there is absolutely no information about security clearances in anything that I check with the CHSB or the FBI. It's apples and oranges. The police do not know if you have a clearance and there is nothing in the system that would indicate that based on the checks that we run for a standard criminal background check.

When you apply for a clearance, the agency that runs the BI on you will check with other agencies that may have given you a clearance before. I had a TSSCI in the Army, and I needed a Secret for what I do now. When I put that on my paperwork to the FBI who was granting me the Secret. I had the clearance in about 3 weeks. Other people in the office have taken as long as three months.

How this individual got his LTC so quickly is probably one of those serrendiptous events that happen without rhyme or reason...but in any event having a security clearance had absolutely nothing to do with it from either an AFIS standpoint or from a CHSB standpoint. Sometimes s**t just happens.

Regards,

Mark

Thanks Mark. He thought it was because of his clearance, and I must say, because it went so bloody fast, so did I.

Maybe he should have bought a scratch ticket after getting the license. [lol]

This is purely supposition on my part, but I believe the request for a copy of an existing clearance must go through a different process than a request for a new NAC, BI & clearance.

I have worked in an office where all employees needed clearances. A starting employee without a prior clearance could take up to 3-4 months for final approval. Transfers, prior service, or reservists with past or current clearances had final approvals within 1-2 weeks.

In one case, a reserve unit forwarded a copy of standard-form-whatever, and the new employee was re-documented with final clearance that day.

I think i remember reading that one of the Rockies states, maybe Colorado, can get you your license in literally 15 minutes, they have some sort of speed check system where they check you right on the spot with one system. I'll see if i can find which one it is.

The "LT" was most likely Lt. Jay Moran, who heads up the Detective Bureau in Arlington. Jay is a very down-to-earth practical fellow, with no propensity to break balls in general and no anti-gun animus in particular. (He is also the best thing to happen to the Detective Bureau, and the people of Arlington in general, in a long time.)

RKG said:
The "LT" was most likely Lt. Jay Moran, who heads up the Detective Bureau in Arlington. Jay is a very down-to-earth practical fellow, with no propensity to break balls in general and no anti-gun animus in particular. (He is also the best thing to happen to the Detective Bureau, and the people of Arlington in general, in a long time.)

Well, as an Arlington citizen, that's good to know! As I said, aside from the "you gun nut" remarks (which may well have been an attempt at humor), I had nothing to complain about. I was treated courteously, wasn't grilled, and not only did he give me back the original of my safety certificate without me having to ask for it, but he reminded me to keep it in a safe place and not lose it, and as I said, I got the LTC is just under 40 days.

I should also thank Chief Fred Ryan, since as COP it's his policy to generally issue ALP's (the cover letter the APD has for its application packet even says that).

The LT was averagely curteous, though I had to sit through some cracks about "you gun nuts". I couldn't tell if the LT was just being a ballbuster or if there was actual animosity toward LTC applicants.
Or it could have been a test. He might have thrown that out to see whether you rose to the bait and got obnoxious or whether you let it slide.

lagrangian said:

I think that sometimes they say or do something a little bit inflammatory as a probe to see if you're a hothead or not. If you react strongly to something relatively mild, then they know a bit more about you than a plain vanilla interview might reveal.

Eidted to say: Jeez M1911, great minds think alike! :D

Emoto:

A fellow I know had a similar experience in Marlboro. At the start of the interview, the officer asked him if he was "...one of those gun nuts who believes in the 2nd ammendment..." He wisely let the comment slide with responding. Before the interview was over, the officer became much friendlier and he was issued ALP. He believes that the officer was testing him to see if he was a hot-head.

when was this? I need to start my renewal process in Marlboro soon... only 4 months left on my permit. Think I'll stop by tomorrow...

M1911 said:
Emoto:

A fellow I know had a similar experience in Marlboro. At the start of the interview, the officer asked him if he was "...one of those gun nuts who believes in the 2nd ammendment..." He wisely let the comment slide with responding. Before the interview was over, the officer became much friendlier and he was issued ALP. He believes that the officer was testing him to see if he was a hot-head.

Yeah, they seem to warm up after chatting for a while and having you not act like a lunatic. :D

dwarven1: It was several years back. Perhaps they've changed licensing officers. Or not.

Nevertheless, it's a tactic to be prepared for. No matter how obnoxious the licensing officer gets, remain calm, polite, and professional.

Thanks, M1911. I remember years back, in NJ, when I got my second purchase permit in less than 3 months, the officer at the Fair Lawn PD made a snarky comment about being a Rambo and buying an assault pistol (or something like that) and I looked at him and said "Actually, it's for a .22...". Got the permit, but he really annoyed me with that comment.

I'll keep a tight rein on my temper when I'm there and not make any snarky comments. :)

Back
Top Bottom