• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

REASON FOR REQUESTING LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally wouldnt use the words "hunting", "recreational shooting" and "practice at a club" as you basically jsut rattled off the target and hunting AND sporting restrictions. If I were to list them, I would leave the hunting and recreational shooting bullets to the end and bring "personal protection in and out of the home" way closer to the top. Perhaps rewarding the gun club part to say "I am an (or plan to be) an active member at XYZ sportsmen club" would be a bit safer too.

Just IMHO

In general I agree. I think the point is to include a wide range of gun related activities, because even if you don't want to do those things today, you may want to as you get deeper into the sport. But the catch is that this won't work in most red/black towns, where there's no chance of it being issued unrestricted.

Obviously, like so many others on this site, you are confused.

[laugh] Rob's legal-fu skills are strong, and his post was correct.

If they call you and say your reason isn't good enough........ DO NOT CHANGE your reason!!!!

Agreed. No sense in restricting yourself, unless advised otherwise by an attorney.

GOOD LUCK finding JESSE, He's kinda like finding "Waldo".

He has a website, and one of his employees is a regular poster here.

Obviously, like so many others on this site, you are confused.

What is he confused about? He is actually spot on about a very simple and fundemental part of the licensing process. Please, share with us your expansive knowledge of Massachusetts firearms law. Or will your 8th post be just another baseless insult with zero insight?

Last edited:
I used Scriv's form letter, and listed my reasons as wanting to carry for personal protection.

What did I get? Restrictions: Personal Protection -- from Worcester, first time, 22 years old.

ummm...what about just putting down your reasoning for wanting it? thats what i did.

I didn't have to create reasons, they were there. If you're creating reasons...why are you applying for it.

ummm...what about just putting down your reasoning for wanting it? thats what i did.

I didn't have to create reasons, they were there. If you're creating reasons...why are you applying for it.

With some municipalities, you need to be a little creative with your wording to achieve the desired result, unfortunately.

I'm in somerville...on the "black" list. It is my belief that the "creative writing" on my original application was my reason for restrictions. My second time around was when i got approved because I gave legitimate reasons that were worded simply and in plain english. creative writing is read through by most chiefs.

I'm in somerville...on the "black" list. It is my belief that the "creative writing" on my original application was my reason for restrictions. My second time around was when i got approved because I gave legitimate reasons that were worded simply and in plain english. creative writing is read through by most chiefs.

I would leave ALP. [smile]

ALP is not a reason

There's a lot of debate on this issue but from my perspective "All Lawful Purposes" is what you are requesting. This is now often stated as "Restrictions: None" on the license.

The reason you are requesting ALP is what the licensing authority wants you fill in on the application to satisfy the Mass Gen Law requirement that "the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person...".

Choose your reason wisely [wink]

and feel free to state something like, "I request an all lawful purposes LTC for..." then state your reason.

Last edited:
There's a lot of debate on this issue but from my perspective "All Lawful Purposes" is what you are requesting. This is now often stated as "Restrictions: None" on the license.

The reason you are requesting ALP is what the licensing authority wants you fill in on the application to satisfy the Mass Gen Law requirement that "the applicant has good reason to fear injury to his person...".

Choose your reason wisely [wink]

and feel free to state something like, "I request a LTC for all lawful purposes for..." then state your reason.

+1 Thank goodness someone finally pointed this out!

Would it be too ballsy to write, "I request an un restricted LTC A for all lawful purposes because I am not statitorily dq'd, and I am a suitable person">

I know the answer to this btw....

GOOD LUCK finding JESSE, He's kinda like finding "Waldo".
His web site is very easy to find with google: http://www.attorneycohen.com/

And on that web site, he has his phone number: 508.879.8489

Did you try calling him?

Jesse is no longer on NES........ NO, I don't know why, NO I have no answers........
It is well known that he was banned from NES. The moderators don't explain they ban someone. While I'm just as curious as anyone, that's between Jesse and NES.

I tell my students that they need to simply sit down and think about how dangerous their lives really are. If you take a few moments I'm sure you can think of something worth while. Good reasons include anything where you could potentially need and legally use a firearm for self defense including walking through dark parking lots, handling large sums of money and/or valuable property/items, traveling to visit family in high crime areas, etc. You honestly don't need to make anything up, you just got to think about it a little. I know of a DJ that got his unrestricted issued in a tough town per reason of working around drunk people late at night with thousands of dollars in equipment. I also know of a student that was denied his permit because he gave the reason of having to walk through a dark parking lot late at night after leaving night school.

I used Scriv's form letter, and listed my reasons as wanting to carry for personal protection.

What did I get? Restrictions: Personal Protection -- from Worcester, first time, 22 years old.

Unfortunately that wouldn't work in Boston, and a host of other towns.

Stand Down! It's Quick Draw Tim McGraw, Champion of the NEShooters Good Ole Boys Network! How dare you challenge the Good Ole Boys' mighty POST COUNT!

It is well known that he was banned from NES. The moderators don't explain they ban someone. While I'm just as curious as anyone, that's between Jesse and NES.

I believe he was banned for disagreeing with one of the NES Grand Wizards in a showdown of legal pedantics. He was ultimately felled by the Grand Wizards superior post count and kill/death ratio in Call of Duty.

I believe he was banned for disagreeing with one of the NES Grand Wizards in a showdown of legal pedantics. He was ultimately felled by the Grand Wizards superior post count and kill/death ratio in Call of Duty.

You obviously don't have a clue what you are talking about...

*sniff, sniff sniff sniff, sniff sniff*

Hmmm. This post smells funny.

Put yourself in the LEO's shoes, and try to see it from their side. What would YOU want to see on someone else's app if you were the one in charge of deciding whether to restrict or not to restrict?

Why not try someting direct and to the point, like...

"For the ability to legally defend my life in public with a firearm; To foster safe and responsible firearm ownership through firearm saftey-course instruction."

If that doesn't work, then no manner of latin psychobabble is going to work either. Don't write down something that reads like it was copied off the back of a box of Lawyer-O's™ breakfast cereal.

Put yourself in the LEO's shoes, and try to see it from their side. What would YOU want to see on someone else's app if you were the one in charge of deciding whether to restrict or not to restrict?

In order to do this, you need to understand the goal of the issuing authority - which will vary between agencies.

Here are what appear to be the goals of some various departments:

- Making sure that only competent people with good judgement carry firearms

- Keep the number of permits issued without restriction to a small percentage of the total permits issued

- Don't allow anyone to carry concealed unless the have considerable community influence and power

- Give out as few licenses of any kind as possible, using any possible reason do deny issuance

The approach to dealing with a department can vary depending on their licensing goal. If the department just wants to make sure you are qualified, safe, and exercise good judgement you probably don't need anything other than a meeting with the licensing officer to introduce yourself. The further down you get on the above list, the more you need the services of an attorney.

If that doesn't work, then no manner of latin psychobabble is going to work either. Don't write down something that reads like it was copied off the back of a box of Lawyer-O's™ breakfast cereal.

You mean like the 7p reason for issuance letter from someone we know? [rofl]

Stand Down! It's Quick Draw Tim McGraw, Champion of the NEShooters Good Ole Boys Network! How dare you challenge the Good Ole Boys' mighty POST COUNT!

OK now you're confusing me. We're talking about the law on LTC issuance here. Despite my mighty post count, I have been corrected by several people on this forum, a couple of them have posted in this very thread. I will admit it when I'm wrong, since I strive to be correct in my legal understanding.

Is there a section of Mass. law that I need to be refreshed on? Rob corrected someone who implied that LTC issuance wasn't discretionary in Mass., and along you came with a rebuttal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom