• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

REASON FOR REQUESTING LTC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to fill out the "reason" part of my LTC application form and also need to write a letter to the licensing official explaining my reason for requesting said license. "All lawful purposes" is no longer accepted. Awesome. I have some ideas of what I'm going to write, just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions.
Thanks

wtf? who says ALP is no longer accepted? How about

reason: because the US Supreme Court has affirmed it is an individual RIGHT!

I need to fill out the "reason" part of my LTC application form and also need to write a letter to the licensing official explaining my reason for requesting said license. "All lawful purposes" is no longer accepted. Awesome. I have some ideas of what I'm going to write, just wanted to see if anyone else had any suggestions.
Thanks

You need a consult with Jesse Cohen. He could call the licensing officer and remind him of the Mass. law.

As far as advice, consult a lawyer who knows the municipality in which you're applying or someone who has experience in that town. You may want to include a rifle club and you're interest in the shooting sports.

I'm not advising you use the below as an example because you may end up with headaches, a denial, and a lenghty court battle to win, but I would love to see someone use it.

Good luck with your application.

Reason - Self defense

Letter -
To whom it may concern:

I am requesting approval for a Class A - License to Carry because I would like to be able to defend myself in my home and anywhere else the law permits through the use of a readily available weapon in common use at this time.

Thank you for your consideration.

Sincerely,

You need a consult with Jesse Cohen. He could call the licensing officer and remind him of the Mass. law.

Are you referring to the law that allows the chief to impose any restrictions he deems appropriate, or the law that he may decline an LTC if the applicant is not a suitable person to be so licensed?

Are you referring to the law that allows the chief to impose any restrictions he deems appropriate, or the law that he may decline an LTC if the applicant is not a suitable person to be so licensed?

[laugh] [rofl] Indeed . . . that IS THE LAW in MA!

To the OP: There is a sticky in the MA Gun Laws sub-forum that is chock full of good (and some not so good) advice on how to address this issue on an application.

If your record is clear, this may be all that you need to go with. If in any doubt, contact Atty Jesse Cohen for a consultation and take it from there.

The requirements for applying for a Class A firearms permit. No requirement for letters of recommendation and no law against ALP.

The requirements for applying for a Class A firearms permit. No requirement for letters of recommendation and no law against ALP.

There is, however, a question on the state application form asking the reason for applying. Once upon a time, simply stating "All Lawful Purposes" would do just fine, except for those jurisdictions where you had little if any chance of getting an unrestricted license regardless of what you put. Now, there seems tp be an increasing number of licensing authorities who look unfavorably on that direct 3-word answer. My recommendation to students has been to put "All Lawful Purposes" without using those words. For example:
  • Practice at ------ Sportsmen's Club and other suitable locations;
  • Recreational shooting;
  • Formal marksmanship competition (when my skills have improved);
  • Hunting;
  • Personal protection in my home;
  • Under some circumstances, carrying for personal protection.

Ken

You can put "For the lawful defense of life and property, per <insert proper MGL here>".

You can put "For the lawful defense of life and property, per <insert proper MGL here>".

Can't defend "property" in MA. [Don't feel bad, I had to correct the police chief on the floor of Town Meeting (with 1000 people in attendance) when he said that a number of years ago. [laugh] ]

For what it's worth, here's what worked for me in Medford (which is a red or black town, i can't remember or be bothered to look up the map at this particular moment)

I put ALP on the application, and I also included a letter to the COP in which I stated my experience (competition shooting, shooting ranges, NRA/MA approved instruction, etc.) and the rationale that I wanted my ALP because I wanted to ensure that I could maintain direct control of a weapon at all times (i.e. I wouldn't have to lock it in the trunk of a car that might be left unattended while I paid for gas, etc.). (NOTE: As J Cohen pointed out, it's not illegal/irresponsible to leave a weapon in that state, I just used that as an example of how I would prefer to be "extra responsible" and keep direct control at all times).

No guarantees that it will work for you, but it did for me. If you're really unsure/worried about it, definitely consult with an attorney.

Good luck

my town would not accept 'ALP' as a reason either.

find out more about what your particular licensing authority looks for... and be careful not to sound like a smart arse... [wink]

I explained that i needed it in order to defend myself while walking, etc. I also went on to highlight my training and experience, along with my past history of volunteering/community service in order to present my character in a positive light.

depending on where you are applying, it may not matter what you write... you might get a neutered license anyways. sometimes i think they just like to see you sweat through all of the work, all the while knoing you're not going to get what you want

good luck!

Last edited:
Here's my suggestion:

For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, collect, own and transfer large capacity pistols, rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting, and personal protection.

If that doesn't cover all angles I don't know what does. But of course I'll echo that you need to contact a firearms attorney if you really want to get it right

Just say that **"Sometimes I get very angry and have a certain rage that I cannot control. I believe shooting at things will calm me down."**

**Disclaimer - This is just a joke. Do not put this on your application.

^ Jesse always gives great advice and is a wealth of knowledge. He has helped me tremendously recently. May be worth PMing him or giving him a call. Lots of good points above

T A firearms instructor may write about how he transports a variety of guns to his classes in different locations. Unloading rifle cases may attract those looking to steal guns.

This is the main reason I took my instructors course 15 years ago

to OP, you could avoid the contortions and just demand the CLEO give you the license you want, just saying....we're still playing games here even after our victory, i can't believe it

the fig leaf of legitimacy on suitability is gone. its a RIGHT

to OP, you could avoid the contortions and just demand the CLEO give you the license you want, just saying....we're still playing games here even after our victory, i can't believe it

not so fast, champ. You need to see what McDonald and Heller cases actually said. They addressed firearms in the home, not carrying publicly.

Thanks

Wow, there are some angry, short-tempered responses from people who already have their licenses that might just end up getting you more grief than you might wish to deal with, such as "tell them it's my right," or recite the specific general laws, or even better, "demand that they issue you the license you're requesting."

I'm aware of the reasoning, because I took the time to ask, why my (and some other) municipalities aren't accepting "Any Lawful Purpose" any longer. One, is because you're obviously not requesting a LTC for "UN"lawful purposes, and two, because LTC's aren't issued for "Any Lawful Purpose" any longer. They're either issued unrestricted or with certain restrictions. In my case, I wanted an unrestricted license and was asked for what reason, as it stated on the application. All the licensing officer wanted to know, is exactly what the question asked, is for what reason I was requesting a license, in my own words, the reason. So, I told him, to go shooting, do a little hunting with my friends, to keep a gun in my home, and when I feel the need for my own personal protection and/or that of my family, whether because we're in a shady neighborhood, or carrying a lot of cash, etc., to carry a gun on my person.

Simple as that. I didn't start a fight with him, didn't put him on the defensive, I just did what he asked, and what the application asked, and explained my reason. Done. Unrestricted LTC issued.

Hope that helps.

That is a very well written statement. I used a similar statement on my LTC A application and the chief of police in my town wrote " For all Lawful Purposes". My guess is that he wanted to keep it simple. He is long retired. What a nice guy.

From a Contributor on the forum:

For all lawful purposes, to buy, sell, use, carry, collect, own and transfer large capacity pistols, rifles, and shotguns for use in hunting, sporting, competition, target shooting, collecting, and personal protection.

wtf? who says ALP is no longer accepted? How about

reason: because the US Supreme Court has affirmed it is an individual RIGHT!

I've read an internal directive from a municipality in Mass. which specifically states people who chant about their rights and the 2A will be denied.

My recommendation to students has been to put "All Lawful Purposes" without using those words. For example:
  • Recreational shooting;
  • Hunting;

Absent input from an attorney/person in the know who has a better suggestion for a specific licensing officer, this is my advice. Well put Ken.

I've read an internal directive from a municipality in Mass. which specifically states people who chant about their rights and the 2A will be denied.

I would love to see a chief get that denial upheld in court. Buncha scumbags.

There is, however, a question on the state application form asking the reason for applying. Once upon a time, simply stating "All Lawful Purposes" would do just fine, except for those jurisdictions where you had little if any chance of getting an unrestricted license regardless of what you put. Now, there seems tp be an increasing number of licensing authorities who look unfavorably on that direct 3-word answer. My recommendation to students has been to put "All Lawful Purposes" without using those words. For example:
  • Recreational shooting;
  • Hunting;

Ken

I personally wouldnt use the words "hunting", "recreational shooting" and "practice at a club" as you basically jsut rattled off the target and hunting AND sporting restrictions. If I were to list them, I would leave the hunting and recreational shooting bullets to the end and bring "personal protection in and out of the home" way closer to the top. Perhaps rewarding the gun club part to say "I am an (or plan to be) an active member at XYZ sportsmen club" would be a bit safer too.

Just IMHO

Obviously, like so many others on this site, you are confused.

This is what I found after the fact:

1. On the advice of counsel, to prevent any confusion or liability resulting from a misinterpretation of the terms and conditions of a restricted license*(p. 69, ¶ 3;)

2. Because it is the class and reason for issuance recommended by the Massachusetts Chiefs of Police and is the most commonly issued class of license for that reason* (p. 69, ¶ 5);

3. Because one is either qualified to own handguns, or one is not; and

4. Because there is no liability to a licensing authority who issues an LTC to a qualified applicant, regardless of the class and reason for issuance.

5. Because it is the Reason For Issuance for Non-Resident Licenses and it is illogical to issue a Massachusetts citizen a lesser license.

I therefore apply for a Class A License to Carry Firearms (LTC/A) issued for All Lawful Purposes.

I was given a Sporting restriction from my town, I was told the same thing "We don't issue for All Lawful Purpose".

If they call you and say your reason isn't good enough........ DO NOT CHANGE your reason!!!!

GOOD LUCK finding JESSE, He's kinda like finding "Waldo".

Jesse is no longer on NES........ NO, I don't know why, NO I have no answers........

IBTL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom