Reactive targets...Ping!!!

Hi All,

I'm after a target that's a bit more satisfying than making neat little holes in a piece of paper (I'm thinking pistols here). I'm looking for good reactive targets that can be used on indoor and outdoor ranges.

Has anyone purchased anything from these guys?

http://www.justshootmeproducts.com/index.asp

Any other solutions or ideas would be welcome....(so if indoors a 2 liter Pepsi bottle full of water probably wouldn't go down too well).

Thanks....

I like the clay holder. Are there any stores in MA that sell something similar that would hold clays vertical?

The cube and sphere targets look like they are great for getting rounds to skip off the ground and fly out of the range. [frown] I would avoid them. In general, just make sure that whatever target you use is placed in a way that the hits and misses will impact a berm or other suitible place for a bullet to go.

The cube and sphere targets look like they are great for getting rounds to skip off the ground and fly out of the range. [frown] I would avoid them. In general, just make sure that whatever target you use is placed in a way that the hits and misses will impact a berm or other suitible place for a bullet to go.

Yeah....I thought that too. Although a block of balistics gell sounds interesting.

Pip,

When I get a chance to shoot at an outdoor range that allows "reactive" targets, something I've found to be a good target is a large laundry detergent jug. We get the 196 ounce jug 'o' ERA from BJ's, and when they're empty they get filled with water and brought to the range.

You can either take your time emptying with a .22, or cause a massive spray with a 12 gauge slug or .308. In any case, it's all good, and leaves very little mess.

Yup - they'd be a big no-no at my range, as it's built on ledge...Goodbye sniper cube - hello rounds into downtown Lee... [shocked]

Reactive Targets

When I read this I thought about these little exploding Tannerite targets that my oldest boy brought over to shoot.

I think they have a bit of Black Powder in them and explode with a BBOOM when you hit them with anything.

Great fun with the .22!

Caution: Be sure to place them more than 10 feet away.

The Concussion is Amazing! I would post a picture of them but you guys get the idea.

we shot them all and I was thinking of getting some more. Not too sure I would want to use them Indoors though?

I just did some searches and found a how to make your own targets web site. http://www.willitdetonate.com/ Not Something I would want to try at home. Better to let the Professionals who live in Doublewides make them.

looney26.gif

Are any of you guys skilled in Chemistry? What is the stuff they use to make these?

Last edited:
Actually, Tannerite consists of two mixtures: ammonium nitrate & ammonium perchlorate and aluminum powder & zirconium hydride. Neither mixture is explosive by itself, but mix them together and hit them REALLY hard and boom.

I would however imagine that the owners of the indoor range I normally shoot at wouldn't be too happy with me setting off tannerite indoors [shocked][grin]

You will find few if any indoor ranges that will allow anything other than paper targets.

Outdoors, you will need to work with your range to create some kind of rules regarding the specific target you wish to use.

As a Range Safety Officer and the person on my club's board who deals with target approval, I'll outline my requirements so that you have some idea of what persons who do my ob will be thinking about

1) Is there any way a bullet which strikes this target will be redirected out of the range facility?

Ricochet is a real problem, especially when it comes to steel targets.

2) Is there any part of this target that creates a hazard to the shooter or other range users?

3) Will the use of this target create a "radius of hazard" which need to be mitigated?

4) Does the impact of a bullet to this target pose any threat of damage to the range facility?

5) What, if any, requirements are necessary to allow safe use of the targets?

I can tell you from experience that setting up steel target rules at my own club for IDPA took a long time and several long arguments in the board room.

Most of the targets shown in the page you linked seem to allow "pass-through". I've looked at these and used them, and you will be amazed at how caliber specific some of these targets can be. It all depends on how much energy the round can impart on the target in the brief time it passes through. Unfortunately it is nearly impossible to know how a specific target and round will interact before you actually hit it.

indoor reactive targets

What about just stapling balloons in a 3 sided box? Cheap, simple, safe, easy to clean up, and the women and kids seem to love it.

Try these guys in NY

Hi,

I have purchased several reactive targets from Joe and Andrea Cesterninio at Reaction Targets. They are fantastic people and their targets are indestructible (if you can follow instructions). They make several variations including auto reset sniper targets from AR500 armor plate steel.

The web site is http://www.reactiontargets.com

Disclaimer: I have no relation, nor personal interest in Reaction Targets. They are just good people with excellent targets.

Back
Top Bottom