• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

AR500 targets

My buddy wants to borrow some of my AR500 steel targets to use as a guide to make his own. Am I correct in thinking that if he uses regular steel it will not hold up to his 9mm, 40mm and 223?
Thanks.

Last edited:
AR500 is a hardened steel that has anti abrasive characteristics. I couldn't even drill a hole in one of our plates aside from using a carbide bit and even then it was chunky. Regular cold rolled is pretty damn soft. .223 will pass through pretty easily on cold rolled unless it's like 3/4" thick. Heck I can show you what a .308 black tip will do to AR500 too and it's not pretty.

We were cutting our plates on a Trumpf 3030 fiber optic laser. If your buddy wants some AR500 targets I have some leftover inventory I can let go cheap.

I am pretty sure that shooting mild steel can be dangerous once it starts to warp etc.. steel targets are so cheap now, it seems kind of crazy to me to even bother making them yourself. ShootingTargets7 has some great sales once in a while.

If one were looking for a pistol caliber plate rack, where would one begin looking? How about range design? I am guessing GOAL could help here. Does NRA have any grant money available for this?

gxx9sdb. All of my steel targets are from Shooting Targets7 and we love them. You are right, I did get them when they were having a great sale.

84ta406. Thanks, I will let him know of your offer.

gxx9sdb. All of my steel targets are from Shooting Targets7 and we love them. You are right, I did get them when they were having a great sale.

84ta406. Thanks, I will let him know of your offer.

Also Walmart.com is a great supplier of AR500 for short money. Free shipping to their stores and quick instore pick up.

I own alot of nice steel but before that i make lot with mild steel.

Mild steel for pistol use is fine, aslong as some dick doesnt shoot it with a rifle.
You can use mild steel for rifle at a further distance mostly for safety, but it also makes then targets last longer.

The three biggest limitation are you need to not use steel core ammo, to inspect target every time moving damaged pistol targets to rifle use, and use thicker material.while 1/4" ar500 might be ok for some use... all mild steel targets should be 3/8 minimum to prevent warping and prevent some Struff from passing right through.. hanging from chain rather than rigid mounts help.

Or you could just order a bunch of Blem targets from "shoot steel".. i forgot what i spent but i got like $2200 worth of targets for like $400 shipped

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom