• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rascal or Crickett for an 8 year old.

jeez i was trying to remember what my daughter had. but she outgrew it so quickly, i kind of view it now as a waste of money.

whatever you do get, make sure it shoots ..22 shorts
i have found kids/adults who like to shoot will shoot anything... Almost everyone points and giggles at the pink gun , after I plunk down shot after shot onto the steel eventually everyone wants to try it.

Came across another choice tonight:

M14_Youth_Rifle_Right_Prof.jpg

The nice thing about the CZ is that it you can easily pull the barreled action out and put it in a full size stock or chassis.

This^

I have the older model 452 Scout, and it's the only .22 bolt gun I own.
The newer 457 Scout is virtually identical.
I personally like the compact dimensions with the 16" barrel and youth size 12" length-of-pull.
Yeah, it's more money than the Savage, Marlin, Mossberg or Chipmunk singles, but the quality is far superb to the others.
It comes with a 5 round mag (10's are also available) and a single shot adapter for beginners, so it's a gun your kids won't outgrow when they reach their teens.
cz-usa-cz-452-scout.png

Came across another choice tonight:

M14_Youth_Rifle_Right_Prof.jpg
Wonder what marlin action they cloned it after?
The problem with most “youth” guns is not many manufactured address the fit issues.
the grip to trigger length is almost always to long and the combs to low.

DUPE (similar post):

Saw this:

I have a Rascal I bought for a host for a suppressor, love it, but the stock is about 3" too short. No aftermarket adult stocks available.

For anybody still debating between the Cricket and the Rascal, go Rascal. I recently bought both.

The rascal is far better quality for not much more money.

The Cricket’s charging mechanism is pretty hefty for a little kid, and if they accidentally let it go 3/4 of the way pulled back, it seems like it could slam fire.

Oh, and you need to decock it like a single action. You can’t just pull the bolt back when charged.

The Cricket is frankly a safety risk and not just lower quality for virtually the same price.

I sold the Cricket for $50 and ate the loss, just to get it out of my safe.

Last edited:
Savage Mark II would be my choice for a kid's first rifle. Remove the magazine and use it as a single shot until the kid gets familiar with it and learns basic marksmanship. It may be the only rimfire he will ever need.

I've got a Savage Rascal that I got for my daughter before I figured out that she was left eye dominant. I've been holding onto it, but never shot it.

If anyone is interested, PM me.
I'm green, so not trying to hijack or skirt contributing to the site. I've just never been motivated to sell it.

Brothers son got one outing out of the Savage, great gun but grew out of it quickly. He much preferred the AR with CMMG upper.
I would go real AR lower (real meaning as opposed to a dedicated .22 AR) .22 upper and iron sights. Child can grow with it, always be in demand and .22 for training after transition to larger caliber.

Brothers son got one outing out of the Savage, great gun but grew out of it quickly. He much preferred the AR with CMMG upper.
I would go real AR lower (real meaning as opposed to a dedicated .22 AR) .22 upper and iron sights. Child can grow with it, always be in demand and .22 for training after transition to larger caliber.
My nephew really liked the .22 upper AR. The iron sights on the rascal were tough for him to get at the moment. Maybe in a couple years.

I have a hard time believing the sights were difficult. The Rascal has peep sights unlike many competitors which have notch sights. I have found the notch sights to be more difficult to teach. My 6 year old daughter had trouble with the notch style sights on one of my 10/22s but no problems with the Rascal's peep sight.

And it was a natural migration to a M&P 15/22 when she got older.

For what its worth, one of the benefits of the 2 1/2 lb Rascal is that a small child can hold the rifle herself.
Yes, the 10/22 is a great gun, as is an AR with a CMMG upper or M&P 22

But a child using a high quality children's gun can learn to actually "run" the gun at a young age when its sized for a kid and only weighs 2 1/2 lbs.

My daughter was shooting hers offhand when she was 8.
She's in her teens now and can shoot pretty much anything I give her.

1663871376932.png

The funny thing is she still loves her Rascal and still asks to shoot it all the time. She says that the single shot aspect makes her focus on making the shot count.

1663871963044.jpeg

Spotting for her older sister. The 10/22 has a set of Tech Sights on it.
1663871718507.jpeg

He’s 4. The concept was a little difficult for him. The dot was much easier so he could focus on safety and fun.
Yeah. Its hard to get a 4 year old boy to focus on anything. Ha. I applaud you for trying.

My girls both started when they were4 approaching their 6th birthday. No trouble with the peep sights.
I wanted them to learn to shoot a single shot, iron sighted rifle first. Just me. Old schoole.
Now that both of them are solid on that stuff, they are both free to shoot whatever they want.
My older girl prefers the 10/22, the younger still prefers the Rascal.

Both prefer peep sights to optics, which makes me happy.

By the way. I've probably already said this in this thread, but I wouldn't use a Cricket if it was given to me.

Terrible gun. It does not function like a "real" bolt action rifle. You cock it by pulling the striker back and lower the striker by holding it, squeezing the trigger and slowly lowering it.

The Rascal works like a "real" gun. It cocks on bolt opening. And you can lower the striker by opening the bolt, pressing the trigger and then closing the bolt.

Yeah. Its hard to get a 4 year old boy to focus on anything. Ha. I applaud you for trying.
Yeah, I didn’t mean to imply the Rascal sights were bad. Just that he liked the AR, which we went to when we realized iron sights in general were not right for him yet.
By the way. I've probably already said this in this thread, but I wouldn't use a Cricket if it was given to me.

Terrible gun. It does not function like a "real" bolt action rifle. You cock it by pulling the striker back and lower the striker by holding it, squeezing the trigger and slowly lowering it.

The Rascal works like a "real" gun. It cocks on bolt opening. And you can lower the striker by opening the bolt, pressing the trigger and then closing the bolt.
100%. I lost most of my money to get rid of the one I foolishly purchased on a whim before doing research.

Just picked up a rascal an hour ago. Won it in a raffle at pioneer arms. We’ll see how the oldest daughter does with it once we find time to go shooting.

Just picked up a rascal an hour ago. Won it in a raffle at pioneer arms. We’ll see how the oldest daughter does with it once we find time to go shooting.
My only complaint is it doesn’t accept a magazine. Otherwise, great little rifle, even fun for dads too!!

I’m a huge fan of semi auto, but there is something about working a bolt that....is just appealing. The savage is my least expensive bolt to operate!!

My girls both started when they were4 approaching their 6th birthday. No trouble with the peep sights.
I wanted them to learn to shoot a single shot, iron sighted rifle first. Just me. Old schoole.
Now that both of them are solid on that stuff, they are both free to shoot whatever they want.
My older girl prefers the 10/22, the younger still prefers the Rascal.

Both prefer peep sights to optics, which makes me happy.
you want kids to figure out sights really quick, put aperture sights front and rear and tell them to put the target in the middle of the circles. Their eyes and brain want to naturally center all that shit up. As the progress you can put front posts in the front hood. Of course my Rascal is a bit more modified than most and I out fitted it with a match rear sight so we can adjust from 25/50/100 yards easily vs the factory fixed rear aperture.
1664046179771.png

you want kids to figure out sights really quick, put aperture sights front and rear and tell them to put the target in the middle of the circles. Their eyes and brain want to naturally center all that shit up. As the progress you can put front posts in the front hood. Of course my Rascal is a bit more modified than most and I out fitted it with a match rear sight so we can adjust from 25/50/100 yards easily vs the factory fixed rear aperture.
View attachment 665975
Specs on setup and how it works?

Today I was helping a bunch of cub scouts shoot BB guns. Some (like my kids who shoot) get it, they aren’t the only ones. Others struggle with the crappy notch rear sight. When I’m king, I will mandate that even cheap crappy Cubs out BB guns have aperture sights!!

Specs on setup and how it works?

Today I was helping a bunch of cub scouts shoot BB guns. Some (like my kids who shoot) get it, they aren’t the only ones. Others struggle with the crappy notch rear sight. When I’m king, I will mandate that even cheap crappy Cubs out BB guns have aperture sights!!
Specs
Mounted a side rail for a set of 80 year old rear match sight and dove tail front globe.

Front globe: the lower it is the greater distance you can reach out to. Front Sights, globe - Track of the Wolf
Set up currently for 25 and 50 yards.

Match rear sight

On the Rascal you need to cut the lower 1/4 off the aperture for the bolt to clear.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom