• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Rant on Malden PD LTC process

I actually met the licensing officer and he said they don't screw around. If you have a clean background they give you the ltc a no restrictions. He also said he's backed up 6 months because of lack of staff. Maybe that's what he meant? I know a few people who had no issues getting it in malden recently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess I don't see where the problem is. The sgt spoke to you and your friend in a firm tone and said it was difficult to get an LTC there. What would you expect ? A red carpet and golden pens to sign your name with? If your friend questioned whether it's worth getting the the LTC, I got news for you, that's your friends issue. Was the Sgt rude? Condescending? Insulting? Did the Sgt possibly turn people away, or did the people get buttsad and decide not to follow thru. Where were the citizens mistreated that want to exercise their 2A right? It sounds like thicker skin is in order here, the local PDs most likely aren't going to kiss your ass.
I'd expect public servants to be polite and serve me with a smile rather than be condescending dickheads.

I was issued an Ltc three years ago, with restrictions. Along with a requirement that I submit three reference letters and a letter explaining why I "need" a gun. I engaged in a discussion with the Lt. Who conducts the interviews (mine after a 6 month wait) and he informed me that I only have a right to keep and bear arms in my home. If I'd like to argue with him, he could just throw the application out and we could do it that way. I've never picked up the license. I think the three letters thing is bullshit, I think the restrictions are bullshit, and I think the fact that my friend two towns over who walked into his pd and got his unrestricted license on the spot is bullshit considering the ordeal that I am required to go through.

I advise you to do as I have done, and ready yourself to move to NH. I am absolutely ecstatic to report that a year from this month I will live in nh, a mere stones throw from the communist haven in which I currently live. Anyone living within a half hour of the border should strongly consider migrating North. In my position, I'm still not there, but it's taken 3 years to get to this point... What's another year of top of that?

Good luck to the Op.

The point the I'm trying to drive home here was that the Sgt. was giving off the impression that he didn't want people trying to apply for an LTC. They should keep their option to them self and not make law abiding citizens question if it's worth going through the process.

It's also good to hear that from peoples experience the city appears to be green even though the Sgt. implied otherwise.

I'd expect public servants to be polite and serve me with a smile rather than be condescending dickheads.
The OP said there was nothing out of the ordinary aside from the 3 letter requirement. He didnt say the Sgt was rude, or condescending. He didn't even say he was a dickhead. In fact, he didn't give any sort of reason as to why he wanted to call the Sgts supervisor. He was butthurt because he felt the Sgt was trying to discourage his female friend. Sorry if your local PD doesn't serve you with a smile, but it sounds as the though the OP got dealt with the exact same way as everyone else in that town, even before the new chief. I just went thru a refinance with Bank of America. My guy was an absolute retard. Are my feelings hurt? Nope. Did I expect a red carpet to be rolled up my driveway? Nope I sure didn't. OP said nothing out of the ordinary except the 3 letters, yet questioned them anyways. Why? If it was ordinary, why ask how they do things? It seems to me, so he could complain about them later on NES.

My brother, wife, and myself all have unrestricted LTC-A. Maybe 3 years ago now. Letters were no big deal, I also first talked to a LEO and they weren't very kind. The lady I had to meet with to drop off the application had me throw out my application and redo it cause I wrote out why I wanted my LTC. She had me just write. all Lawful Purposes.

At the time she mentioned that we didn't need to meet with the chief as they just send everything out and let the the state approve it. As long as the background comes back clean your good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

My brother, wife, and myself all have unrestricted LTC-A. Maybe 3 years ago now. Letters were no big deal, I also first talked to a LEO and they weren't very kind. The lady I had to meet with to drop off the application had me throw out my application and redo it cause I wrote out why I wanted my LTC. She had me just write. all Lawful Purposes.

At the time she mentioned that we didn't need to meet with the chief as they just send everything out and let the the state approve it. As long as the background comes back clean your good.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Malden used to be walk in applications, 3 week wait and unrestricted A. Up until a little over a year ago.

I got my ltc in malden exactly 12 months ago and it couldn't have been smoother. I didn't even talk to a Leo.

The above 3 posts are accurate to my knowledge, up until this new chief which I have heard nothing about regarding LTC's, but I have heard him speak and he sounds very pro2A.

I'm calling bullshit on this post though: (unless of course you had a really long record and they were grilling you)

I was issued an Ltc three years ago, with restrictions. Along with a requirement that I submit three reference letters and a letter explaining why I "need" a gun. I engaged in a discussion with the Lt. Who conducts the interviews (mine after a 6 month wait) and he informed me that I only have a right to keep and bear arms in my home. If I'd like to argue with him, he could just throw the application out and we could do it that way. I've never picked up the license. I think the three letters thing is bullshit, I think the restrictions are bullshit, and I think the fact that my friend two towns over who walked into his pd and got his unrestricted license on the spot is bullshit considering the ordeal that I am required to go through.

I advise you to do as I have done, and ready yourself to move to NH. I am absolutely ecstatic to report that a year from this month I will live in nh, a mere stones throw from the communist haven in which I currently live. Anyone living within a half hour of the border should strongly consider migrating North. In my position, I'm still not there, but it's taken 3 years to get to this point... What's another year of top of that?

Good luck to the Op.

He was butthurt because he felt the Sgt was trying to discourage his female friend. Sorry if your local PD doesn't serve you with a smile, but it sounds as the though the OP got dealt with the exact same way as everyone else in that town, even before the new chief.
Oh, well, as long as they're discouraging to EVERYONE I guess that's okay. We have to be fair to everyone always, right??

The above 3 posts are accurate to my knowledge, up until this new chief which I have heard nothing about regarding LTC's, but I have heard him speak and he sounds very pro2A.

I'm calling bullshit on this post though: (unless of course you had a really long record and they were grilling you)

No record. I live in dracut. What makes you think its bullshit? In fact I just got a call last week from the pd telling me they were going to cancel the license. AFAIK it's still at the station in the records dept. At the time I applied I didn't have so much as a speeding ticket. And I've been a lifelong resident of Dracut. The restriction "policy" here is arbitrary and simply unfair. As is the letter I am required to furnish which explains my "need" for a gun. 12/21/12 I was attacked with a knife at a gas station in a nearby town. Think I can sue my chief? I'd give you more details but the case will be going to trial soon. Point is, to me a restricted license is useless, so I never picked it up.

No record. I live in dracut. What makes you think its bullshit? In fact I just got a call last week from the pd telling me they were going to cancel the license. AFAIK it's still at the station in the records dept. At the time I applied I didn't have so much as a speeding ticket. And I've been a lifelong resident of Dracut. The restriction "policy" here is arbitrary and simply unfair. As is the letter I am required to furnish which explains my "need" for a gun. 12/21/12 I was attacked with a knife at a gas station in a nearby town. Think I can sue my chief? I'd give you more details but the case will be going to trial soon. Point is, to me a restricted license is useless, so I never picked it up.

If you have the money fight it in court. BS on the restrictions. Remind them of the 2nd

I spoke with a couple lawyers who basically told me it wasn't going to be worth it because those types of cases have been thrown out in the past. I'm extremely happy to see davis v grimes in federal court and have paid close attention. Fortunately, my wifes job situation puts her in nh, in a nice area, so we will be moving there in a year or just over. I'm not overly worried about the ltc at this point it'd be nice to have, but honestly, anything I'm going to buy in nh will be a free state gun, rather than a MA legal edition. High cap mags... Etc. Suitability in this state is absolute horse shit, hopefully the courts find in our favor in davis v grimes.

A lot of people are jerks, including some cops. Maybe he is always that way, or maybe he was having a bad day. Questioning why their policy is the way it is doesn't help - he didn't set the policy, so arguing about it with him is pointless.

Last edited:

I thought it was bullshit because this thread is about the LTC process in Malden.
You gave us a story about your LTC process without stating where you were, so since you posted in a thread about Malden, one would be inclined to think you were talking about Malden.
Your story didn't sound like Malden which is why I called bs.

Makes more sense now. Good luck with the LTC

Sorry for the confusion jcv. I shared my story to relate to the OP. I genuinely hope it's a lot easier in Malden than it is here. The thing that really gets me is that there is no standard. Someone a couple towns over is free to excercise their rights, but in a separate town in the same state, others are not. It's complete bs.

If the only thing out of the ordinary is the 3 letters, what is it that pissed you off? The Sgt stumbling around when he answered your questions? I guess I'm missing the part that pissed you off and made you want to call a supervisor.
Just don't be friends with all-liberals and the letter thing is no big deal. Years ago, I had to arrange for two phone interviews. Said, "how about my work supervisor and my father in law?" They said as a joke, "if you get a good reference from your father in law we could practically skip the rest of the requirements"

The OP said there was nothing out of the ordinary aside from the 3 letter requirement. He didnt say the Sgt was rude, or condescending. He didn't even say he was a dickhead. In fact, he didn't give any sort of reason as to why he wanted to call the Sgts supervisor. He was butthurt because he felt the Sgt was trying to discourage his female friend. Sorry if your local PD doesn't serve you with a smile, but it sounds as the though the OP got dealt with the exact same way as everyone else in that town, even before the new chief. I just went thru a refinance with Bank of America. My guy was an absolute retard. Are my feelings hurt? Nope. Did I expect a red carpet to be rolled up my driveway? Nope I sure didn't. OP said nothing out of the ordinary except the 3 letters, yet questioned them anyways. Why? If it was ordinary, why ask how they do things? It seems to me, so he could complain about them later on NES.

Yes, three letters is a minor inconvenience....but why should the local PD have any requirements above MGLs? At what point does it go from a minor inconvenience to a major one? Doctor's note? Required Club membership? Just because "Everyone else in that town" was treated the same way does not make it right.

Do you think that if everyone else in that town were denied an ALP ( restriction: target only) issuance it's OK?

My son was told, flat out, that he could not apply for an FID until he was 18. Since he knows the rules, he said, "Unless I have parental permission," and got the app. He was told that the fee was $100; he had the printed out MGLs to prove that the fee was $25.

Is that OK, as it was minor, and worked out in the end?

I got my LTC-A unrestricted in Malden no issues, got the paper work, got the references, went in did the whole process and fingerprinting, and 40 days later got my card. I hate that wait period your constantly checking your mailbox everyday, lol. I wouldn't say the staff at the PD is the friendliest but I did all my HW before hand and had everything ready.

Just don't be friends with all-liberals and the letter thing is no big deal. Years ago, I had to arrange for two phone interviews. Said, "how about my work supervisor and my father in law?" They said as a joke, "if you get a good reference from your father in law we could practically skip the rest of the requirements"
Oh man that would have been a big gamble in my case ha ha! As far as the letter thing goes it seems to me, people are more apt to " write " them for you, if one has already been written, and placed in front of them, and they just need to sign them.

Yes, three letters is a minor inconvenience....but why should the local PD have any requirements above MGLs? At what point does it go from a minor inconvenience to a major one? Doctor's note? Required Club membership? Just because "Everyone else in that town" was treated the same way does not make it right.

Do you think that if everyone else in that town were denied an ALP ( restriction: target only) issuance it's OK?

My son was told, flat out, that he could not apply for an FID until he was 18. Since he knows the rules, he said, "Unless I have parental permission," and got the app. He was told that the fee was $100; he had the printed out MGLs to prove that the fee was $25.

Is that OK, as it was minor, and worked out in the end?
I think we all agree that there shouldn't be any further requirements other than MGL. In the case of your son, it's clear to me that the PD in question doesn't know the gun laws, which unfortunately is super common, because the majority f the rank and file don't deal with them on a regular basis, kudos to your son for pointing it out.
I think if there was a blanket policy for issuing non ALP only in any town, yes, there would be cause for court action.
in the case of the OP however, totally different story. He went into the PD with his female friend, to help her, or assist her, or whatever he'd like to call it. After getting her application, and instructions, ( which he said were ordinary aside from the 3 letter requirement) , OP decided to question the Sgt on why this and why that. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that he was trying to show off a bit for his female friend. The Sgt in question answered OPs questions, and ultimately shooed him along with the " is there anything else I can do for you sir" routine. OP apparently became buttsad over this and felt he should call the supervisor. Most likely, Had the OP kept quiet, his female friend wouldn't now think it's such a big deal to go thru the process of getting her LTC. I blame him for that.
Im all for jumping on board when the videos of LE are on here eating kittens, killing homeless people, and bashing harp seals. But this is ridonculous . My guess is that the OP and his friend are under the age of 30, and always got trophies, even if they sucked.

I think we all agree that there shouldn't be any further requirements other than MGL. In the case of your son, it's clear to me that the PD in question doesn't know the gun laws, which unfortunately is super common, because the majority f the rank and file don't deal with them on a regular basis, kudos to your son for pointing it out.
I think if there was a blanket policy for issuing non ALP only in any town, yes, there would be cause for court action.
in the case of the OP however, totally different story. He went into the PD with his female friend, to help her, or assist her, or whatever he'd like to call it. After getting her application, and instructions, ( which he said were ordinary aside from the 3 letter requirement) , OP decided to question the Sgt on why this and why that. My guess, and it's just a guess, is that he was trying to show off a bit for his female friend. The Sgt in question answered OPs questions, and ultimately shooed him along with the " is there anything else I can do for you sir" routine. OP apparently became buttsad over this and felt he should call the supervisor. Most likely, Had the OP kept quiet, his female friend wouldn't now think it's such a big deal to go thru the process of getting her LTC. I blame him for that.
Im all for jumping on board when the videos of LE are on here eating kittens, killing homeless people, and bashing harp seals. But this is ridonculous . My guess is that the OP and his friend are under the age of 30, and always got trophies, even if they sucked.

Guess what you want; you still haven't said what you would consider more than minor (I'm assuming that your kittens and harp seals examples were in jest).

My point is that when requirements over and above those of the MGLs are imposed, then there should be a reason. If the sergeant could not answer the question (violating the rules evenly is still violating the rules), instead of blowing off the concerns, it should have been bumped up the food chain to someone that could answer the question.

It is not "ridonculous" to wonder, and ask, why persons and/or entities that are required to perform a service are asking for more information than they should.

Oh, one more question....should the OP be "buttsad" when the license is not in hand after 40 days? Or is the PD complying with black-letter law too much like wanting a participation trophy? Just in case they sucked.

Back
Top Bottom