Rant on Malden PD LTC process

Guess what you want; you still haven't said what you would consider more than minor (I'm assuming that your kittens and harp seals examples were in jest).

My point is that when requirements over and above those of the MGLs are imposed, then there should be a reason. If the sergeant could not answer the question (violating the rules evenly is still violating the rules), instead of blowing off the concerns, it should have been bumped up the food chain to someone that could answer the question.

You're wasting your time and energy.

Is the PD's policy morally wrong? Absolutely. Why do they do it? Because 1) the law lets them do so and 2) the chief wants it that way. But what did you expect the Sergeant to say? "My chief is an anti-2A *******?" Did you expect to argue the 2nd Amendment with him and convince him? Even if the Sergeant didn't agree with the policy, he wouldn't admit it to you and he couldn't do a damn thing about it -- it is the chief who sets policy.

So instead, not unexpectedly, he replied with:

Cartman.jpg

Guess what you want; you still haven't said what you would consider more than minor (I'm assuming that your kittens and harp seals examples were in jest).

My point is that when requirements over and above those of the MGLs are imposed, then there should be a reason. If the sergeant could not answer the question (violating the rules evenly is still violating the rules), instead of blowing off the concerns, it should have been bumped up the food chain to someone that could answer the question.

It is not "ridonculous" to wonder, and ask, why persons and/or entities that are required to perform a service are asking for more information than they should.

Oh, one more question....should the OP be "buttsad" when the license is not in hand after 40 days? Or is the PD complying with black-letter law too much like wanting a participation trophy? Just in case they sucked.
Yes, my kitten and harp seal examples were in jest, I cant believe I actually had to spell that out.
And I did point out an example of whats not minor, and Ill give you another on, my chief will only issue LTC-B. He makes you do a year of "training wheels", and reapply for your A. Its complete and utter bullshit, and Ive told him repeatedly what I think, and he doesn't give a crap. The sgt in the OP has zero to do with the process that the chief of his PD has set. The OP questioned this guy on why this, and why that, which as M1911 said, was an utter waste of time and energy. Its MA. you know youre going to have to jump thru hoops to get your LTC. Is it right? Nope. But, if you want your LTC, you jump. The reason chiefs impose more than MGL, is very simply, because they can. And before you say it, no, its not OK, and not right. It just is. So now the OP is buttsad, and wonders aloud here on NES if he should go over the Sgts head to complain, even though he has no complaints. The Sgt hasn't violated any rules, evenly or unevenly, he is merely enforcing a policy that his chief created. OP appears to be creating some drama, that doesn't really exist.
If the 40 days goes by, and OPs female friend doesn't get her license in time, she should indeed pursue it, but like the majority of people, she will wait.

Dress like a million dollars and be charm to the lady in the PD. You will know you have the LTC-A on your way out.

Few years back at my local pd I asked for an FA10 and they told me the sex offender registration forms are in the lobby.....they are clueless

I let my LTC expire several years ago. Decided recently I wanted to get back into the shooting sports. Called my local PD in November, the Lt made an appt. with me...took all my info on the computer....he made me do some homework prior...had to supply two references but he did not ask for letters. Only a letter to the chief stating why I wanted a license....I actually took the NRA safety course again and got the certificate as well. He said it wasn't necessary since I was licensed before but a guy at my club was giving the class and I had a week to wait before I went for my application appt. so I did it anyway. Can't hurt right. So when I went to the station for my appt. we talked for a while about the process as I missed a licensing stage during my absence but he could not have been more helpful or nicer about the whole process. Very 2A friendly guy. Told me I would have my license unrestricted A in 12 weeks. Meanwhile in the newspapers and the GOAL newsletter there were reports of delays and I suspected mine would be delayed too and as such my license was not ready in the original 12 weeks I was quoted. I did not call or complain as all reports indicated that the backlog was at the state level so there would really be nothing my pd could do about it anyway. And I'm sure they have better things to do than field calls from me about something beyond their control so I just waited. I was called by my local PD 1 day shy of 16 weeks and was told that it was in. I went down a couple of days later and got it. The Desk Sgt. was the nicest guy and funny as well. Thanked me for coming in....Overall the experience was very pleasant and straight forward and as inconvenient as the local pd could make it given the state requirements and restrictions....double thumbs up for my pd.

I let my LTC expire several years ago. Decided recently I wanted to get back into the shooting sports. Called my local PD in November, the Lt made an appt. with me...took all my info on the computer....he made me do some homework prior...had to supply two references but he did not ask for letters. Only a letter to the chief stating why I wanted a license....I actually took the NRA safety course again and got the certificate as well. He said it wasn't necessary since I was licensed before but a guy at my club was giving the class and I had a week to wait before I went for my application appt. so I did it anyway. Can't hurt right. So when I went to the station for my appt. we talked for a while about the process as I missed a licensing stage during my absence but he could not have been more helpful or nicer about the whole process. Very 2A friendly guy. Told me I would have my license unrestricted A in 12 weeks. Meanwhile in the newspapers and the GOAL newsletter there were reports of delays and I suspected mine would be delayed too and as such my license was not ready in the original 12 weeks I was quoted. I did not call or complain as all reports indicated that the backlog was at the state level so there would really be nothing my pd could do about it anyway. And I'm sure they have better things to do than field calls from me about something beyond their control so I just waited. I was called by my local PD 1 day shy of 16 weeks and was told that it was in. I went down a couple of days later and got it. The Desk Sgt. was the nicest guy and funny as well. Thanked me for coming in....Overall the experience was very pleasant and straight forward and as inconvenient as the local pd could make it given the state requirements and restrictions....double thumbs up for my pd.

Not all LEO's are dickheads.

Back
Top Bottom