• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RANT!! NRA Online Training (not a good idea)

I don't object to online training, in itself. Stretching BFS to fill the 8 hours is torture.

I can see their point.. But again, I agree that I'd rather watch, listen and engage with folks in the classroom environment prior to taking them out to the range and putting a loaded firearm in their hands.

billo~ Home Firearm Safety(HFS) is a 4 hour class, Basic Pistol Course(BPC) is 8 hours. Which one are you referring to?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if the NRA even offers the 4 hour Home course online. That certainly wouldn't leave much for a local instructor to cover. This whole online stuff is ridiculous.

I think the online course should be free. If a fee is required by NRA the fee should only be necessary to get their certificate, and should include a complimentary one year NRA membership.

Everyone will be downloading their own certificates and printing them at their own expense, so the cost to NRA for certificates drops to $0.00. This is already true for instructors as a recent change.

This smells like bullshit. Is there any process to get your own course approved through the MSP. I have been covering all the NRA stuff and then some since I started. As an instructor this sucks because I vary my rates (free-100) and I like to be in total control from start to finish. I just as soon send my power-point and curriculum to the MSP and drop the NRA completely.This is a money grab from them, plain and simple.

And no I dont think a course should be required but since it is I dont take kindly to them trying to skim money from instructors.

Whats to stop a BFS instructor from continuing to teach the approved (ltc-002) curriculum as we currently do?

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

NRA won't defend them and 3 of the 4 gun clubs I've belonged to over the past 38 years don't even have insurance to cover officers/board members, never mind covering instructors!
When I took the instructor course, I couldn't get any answer to "will the NRA defend an instructor" (I was asking for amusement; I already knew the answer).

I got what sounded like carefully phrased talking points, repeated verbatim, and the training counselor never veered from the script. I suspect they are taught how to answer that question without saying "no" or "yes", however, I am not certain.

Is there any process to get your own course approved through the MSP.
BTDT. LTC-013.

Yea just found that. Any advice on write-up and submission?

I was thinking of just bulleting my powerpoint (includes all the NRA good stuff) and discussing my range requirements.

Mike

Everyone will be downloading their own certificates and printing them at their own expense, so the cost to NRA for certificates drops to $0.00. This is already true for instructors as a recent change.

Not an end user printable certificate. Something from NRA HQ with a hologram etc, or maybe a credit card like thing.

Not an end user printable certificate. Something from NRA HQ with a hologram etc, or maybe a credit card like thing.

No my understanding is that the student DLs and prints. There is likely a sorta watermark that will only show if you print on a color printer (my new instructor cert is like that). NRA is adding profit with essentially no expense. I guess that the ~$5 S/H charge on a $10 student pack wasn't enough profit margin for them.

But there is nothing stopping us from getting our own courses approved... then we can ditch the NRA BS completely

Mike

Very few, if any, non instructors appear to be complaining about online training.

Reading this thread is like watching speeches by the Teamsters' boss Jimmy Hoffa. Where is the mafia when we need them?

"Hey Vito! I gotta contract for ya." (smiley face inserted, :), so some don't get their panties twisted).

Last edited:
Very few, if any, non instructors appear to be complaining about online training.

Reading this thread is like watching speeches by the Teamsters' boss Jimmy Hoffa. Where is the mafia when we need them?

"Hey Vito! I gotta contract for ya." (smiley face inserted, :), so some don't get their panties twisted).

Well, they'll be complaining when a lot of instructors drop from the program and they'll need to take from whomever is left teaching.

Yea just found that. Any advice on write-up and submission?

I was thinking of just bulleting my powerpoint (includes all the NRA good stuff) and discussing my range requirements.

Mike

The key is you need to cover basic gun safety; proper operation of a firearms; and MA law.

In fact, the MA law portion is more important to getting a course approved than "range requirements", since MA does require the law be covered, but does not require any live fire.

Be sure to include an outline of what you are covering on MA law, and post it to NES if you want free critiques.

billo~ Home Firearm Safety(HFS) is a 4 hour class, Basic Pistol Course(BPC) is 8 hours. Which one are you referring to?

Basic pistol. It's really 4 hours of material, and you have to add a bunch of filler to get up to 8. That's my experience and the opinion of my training counselor.

But there is nothing stopping us from getting our own courses approved... then we can ditch the NRA BS completely

Mike

I think that this would be a perfect time for GOAL to create their own instructor program and have it approved. I strongly believe that live teaching is the way to go and GOAL has the personnel and expertise necessary to act as training counselors.

My take on this !

From all that I have read it only effects the Basic Pistol Course, Hence you can still offer the Home Safety which will not be Blended and add your own live fire to it.

As for teaching with out the NRA curriculum you will need to get your own curriculum approved which will not be an easy task as I have been researching trying to find a way around
the NRA and there are only a few others approve. ( Possibly Sig Sauer )
My only thought about this was that Mass would not allow the blended curriculum which would be moving in the opposite direction of all the gun control and tighter training requirements going on.

My take on this !

From all that I have read it only effects the Basic Pistol Course, Hence you can still offer the Home Safety which will not be Blended and add your own live fire to it.

As for teaching with out the NRA curriculum you will need to get your own curriculum approved which will not be an easy task as I have been researching trying to find a way around
the NRA and there are only a few others approve. ( Possibly Sig Sauer )
My only thought about this was that Mass would not allow the blended curriculum which would be moving in the opposite direction of all the gun control and tighter training requirements going on.

I thought there were 20 or so courses that are approved.

MGL and CMR outlines pretty well the approval process and course requirements. I'm working on writing something up to submit.

Mike

MGL and CMR outlines pretty well the approval process and course requirements. I'm working on writing something up to submit.

Mike

Good on you. I hope GOAL does the same and can train instructors to carry the program forward.

That's a joke. Try to find or try to get into some of the lesser used classes. As for the Sig class, it's supposed to be good but too far and too costly for many.

If I ever move to a state that requires more unconstitutional training to get their unconstitutional permission slip I will use the online system. If the course is available at home in my underwear (or naked for that matter) then in-person training will be too far for me to travel.

I thought there were 20 or so courses that are approved.

There are, but most are NOT public courses but proprietary courses developed with blood, sweat and tears (plus $$) by the person/company who submitted it for approval. Thus the curriculum is not free for others to use.

That's a joke. Try to find or try to get into some of the lesser used classes. As for the Sig class, it's supposed to be good but too far and too costly for many.

Some may be available if you pay a license fee to use them. As a free enterprise system, said license fee may be cheap or expensive (no idea) or they may refuse to license anyone other than their in-house instructors.

I've had a number of large firearms training businesses in MA ask me for my slides from my MA Gun Law Seminar so that they could run it themselves, obviously to profit at my expense. I turned down every such request and maintain complete ownership of my materials. I frequently update my materials (30 times in the past 3+ years) and thus can assure that no obsolete or known bad info is floating out there with my name attached to it.

Where are you seeing the info about basic pistol in 2015? As an NRA instructor, the first I hear of this shouldn't be on a forum somewhere.

C&L, I think a lot of the arguing comes from conflating teaching the course with MA requiring *a* course. I'm guessing NRA instructors from free states are just as up in arms about this as instructors in MA. I think requiring a course is an unconstitutional burden on the RKBA. That's a completely separate issue from what I will and won't sign my name to. If you could meet the MA requirements with a 10 minute web presentation, I'd be all for it. NRA Basic pistol has been working well for years and years as far as I've seen. How well this hybrid model works remains to be seen. I think forcing it to the exclusion of the existing course is a terrible idea.

You mean no one's teaching the Liberal Gun Club course?

Where are you seeing the info about basic pistol in 2015? As an NRA instructor, the first I hear of this shouldn't be on a forum somewhere.

NRA has a very strange way of communicating to instructors!

In the 5 years I've held some NRA certification, they have Emailed less than a handful of "newsletters" (they are still posted on the NRA Instructor's website). This "announcement" and many others seem only to be communicated by NRA Training HQ to TCs and they rely on their TCs to communicate it downhill to instructors. Piss poor in my mind, but there it is. I don't hear anything about changes in NRA policy directly from my first TC (NRA BP and HFS) at all. I'm in constant communication with my NRA PPIH TC (Scouter_Rick) on numerous matters and he keeps me well informed.

Back
Top Bottom