• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

RANT!! NRA Online Training (not a good idea)

yanici

NES Member
This is a rant!!

The NRA is starting online training in varied disciplines. Right now it has limited classes: http://www.nraonlinetraining.org/

In 2015 the Basic Pistol will be offered online, FOR A FEE, and then a student, from what I understand, will find a Certified Instructor to go to. The Instructor will check to see if the online class sunk in and take the student to the range to complete the training. YOU GOTTA BE $HITTING ME!!

I'm under the impression that the only way to get a student to be NRA certified will be through this online class. This will take the place of the classroom portion of the training. It appears to me that the NRA, in it's greediness to make money, is about to upset the delicate apple cart that we have here in MA. We all know that the anti-gunners already want the State to administer it's own LTC class.

I will not participate in such a scheme/sham. I will not send another penny to the NRA and will let my Instructor card expire, if this is what the future is to be in student training.

Last edited:
I hope it is less about money and more about standardization. The NRA really hasn't been making me very happy lately so I'm guessing it's just being greedy

I hope it is less about money and more about standardization. The NRA really hasn't been making me very happy lately so I'm guessing it's just being greedy

If they, the NRA, think I'll put my blessing on some clown that just walked in the door with his online diploma, they gotta be crazy. This is MA. They will lose the whole State if this $hit happens.

The added cost of taking the online class will further deter folks from trying to get licensed. All the extra, good info, that is expelled during a live class will be lost to the students. Just so wrong.

Last edited:
I have been pondering this myself. Although many other trainings are going this route I'm not sure firearm training us a good application. That being said some of the online trainings I've taken were great.

As for MA, Will that be acceptable by State Police standards? What about the Home Firearm Safety class, Will that be all online now?

So, is this the same forum that bashed my a&& for posting questions, asking about appropriate class length(8hrs is my standard response),/integrity/soak in time for LTC classes?

We had a discussion about this at our club. Completely understandable that some instructors won't want to participate. Wearing the devil's advocate hat for a minute, there some things to consider: The NRA is aware that some instructors do a short presentation and hand out certificates for quick bucks, which may put the NRA at some liability. The length of the NRA Basic course with the MA laws included, puts it out of reach of some people, as does the limited scheduling. The computer course can be taken in smaller bites at a convenient time, and the information might be absorbed better than in one big plateful. The student still needs the MA law lessons, and the local instructor can retest the student's knowledge and set his own fees.

Woodstock:

I will say that 8 hours for a Basic Pistol course is a commitment, but there is no "limited scheduling" unless you are fixated on one venue.

Bocan: I think you were "bashed" for the perception that classes should be mandatory, as opposed to them being a good idea, and when taken, to be more than "Make the check out to..... and.....here's your cert!"

Cobra: Some are paid, some not. At my club, I get paid Lunch for my participation on the Training Team. [laugh]

The Basic course is just that....BASIC. It's really not to teach the students the components of a cartridge, or the difference between the frontstrap and backstrap, but the Three Rules, and to make sure that that have the right attitude. At least that's my take.

Full disclosure I am an NRA instructor with ratings in Basic Pistol, Home Firearms Safety and Chief Range Safety Officer. As I understand it, this change is for the NRA Basic Pistol course. The reason I was told was based on a national problem of instructors not doing a good job on the lecture part of the course, basically blowing through the course in a much shorter time then the NRA approved, taking people to the range, and giving their students certificates.
Going forward the student will register for Basic Pistol on line, pay the NRA a fee for the lecture part of the course and complete that part of the course on line including a test. Then they will have to find a NRA certified instructor to complete the particle and shooting part of the course. Then the instructor will update their information on line.

The instructor will no longer have to buy the student packets as all that information will be covered on line.
So the student pays the NRA $50 for the online part and what ever the instructor charges for the "live portion".
Currently I charge $200 for Basic Pistol for 8 hours, I can see charging $100 to $125 for the 4 hours "live portion" the market will tell me if I'm charging the correct amount. I will not have to pay for student packets from the NRA, but will still have to provide firearms and ammo, and my time for students to use to complete the course.

I took a course to be certified in CRP, AED, and first aid and this is how the course was taught, I did the lecture part on line, took a test on line, and an instructor came into my company and myself and co-workers did the hands on part of the course and we all were certified.
Everything in life is going away from printed material to online files.

Last edited:
Full disclosure I am an NRA instructor with ratings in Basic Pistol, Home Firearms Safety and Chief Range Safety Officer. As I understand it, this change is for the NRA Basic Pistol course. The reason I was told was based on a national problem of instructors not doing a good job on the lecture part of the course, basically blowing through the course in a much shorter time then the NRA approved, taking people to the range, and giving their students certificates.
Going forward the student will register for Basic Pistol on line, pay the NRA a fee for the lecture part of the course and complete that part of the course on line including a test. Then they will have to find a NRA certified instructor to complete the particle and shooting part of the course. Then the instructor will update their information on line.

The instructor will no longer have to buy the student packets as all that information will be covered on line.
So the student pays the NRA $50 for the online part and what ever the instructor charges for the "live portion".
Currently I charge $200 for Basic Pistol for 8 hours, I can see charging $100 to $125 for the 4 hours "live portion" the market will tell me if I'm charging the correct amount. I will not have to pay for student packets from the NRA, but will still have to provide firearms and ammo, and my time for students to use to complete the course.

I took a course to be certified in CRP, AED, and first aid and this is how the course was taught, I did the lecture part on line, took a test on line, and an instructor came into my company and myself and co-workers did the hands on part of the course and we all were certified.

As someone who works in training, print materials are always a challenge. Over half the class never opens it or looks at it again, the other half of the class finds them indispensable. Having the materials available online makes a lot of sense since the who need it can print it and anyone who doesn't need them saves printing/shipping costs.

This. I'm not endorsing the NRA's new approach but I do understand the need for the transition to offering a portion of the program online. Obviously nothing substitutes for range time and good instruction from a qualified teacher.

This online NRA course, as far as I know, is not accepted by Massachusetts as an accredited safety class to qualify for a MA LTC. I'd like to see if this will fly here. Just because the NRA wants to do it and reap the dollars from it, doesn't make it legal here. The NRA has shown its greedy hand.

This online NRA course, as far as I know, is not accepted by Massachusetts as an accredited safety class to qualify for a MA LTC. I'd like to see if this will fly here. Just because the NRA wants to do it and reap the dollars from it, doesn't make it legal here. The NRA has shown its greedy hand.

I don't like the idea and have had numerous lengthy discussions with my TC, however nobody at NRA ever asked my opinion. Initially if the course name doesn't change, it is still MSP certified. As soon as the *******s at MSP figure out what's happening, I expect them to pull the course from the approved list of courses.

Personally this "might" make my life easier as for the NRA part I don't have to rent a classroom for a full day and can do all of my part at the range.

Do certified NRA instructors get paid for their services or is it a volunteer effort?
Instructor's choice. Some do it independently for money; some work for others (for example, places like MA Firearms School), and some do it on a volunteer basis, often for their gun club.

The training counselors (instructors who certify instructors) are pretty united in holding the line on collecting a non-trivial fee, generally a few hundred to certify an instructor.

Are Rights don't equal knowledge I'm for equal e better training for all.
If you don't see this as a good point just look around the walls and ceiling or some of are State indoor range...

Is the "on line first" approach going to be mandatory, or is it just another way of delivering the course material that will run in parallel with the conventional in-person approach? I didn't see anything on the NRA site that would indicate it is mandatory.

The RSO class looks like a gold mine - $125 to view some slides/video/audio and take an on-line quiz.

Is the "on line first" approach going to be mandatory, or is it just another way of delivering the course material that will run in parallel with the conventional in-person approach? I didn't see anything on the NRA site that would indicate it is mandatory.

The RSO class looks like a gold mine - $125 to view some slides/video/audio and take an on-line quiz.

NRA Basic Pistol as of 1/1/15 will ONLY be available online with range work after the online portion. Info was from my TC who had personal discussions with those in charge of NRA training at NRA HQ.

The RSO course is the most boring course I've ever taken. Even live it was a challenge to stay awake! I can't imagine taking it online. I will say that the way Jon Green teaches it (I've talked with him about it) is very different from the extremely dry, boring and irrelevant NRA method and is very useful and interesting. The standard NRA RSO course is designed for running a commercial range like AFS and not really very relevant for a gun club like the ones we have in MA!

This is not good. The NRA will need to get paid even if the class is offered by the local instructor at a reduced or even gratis fee. How many programs offer reduced fees to help get more shooters licensed, especially for women. This can only dwindle the number of gun owners here in MA.

It would not surprise me to see the State step in and start a whole new ball game. Instead of NRA Certified Instructors there could be MA Certified Instructors with a separate curriculum and shooting requirements. We don't need this NRA bull $hit in MA.

Another dumb move by the NRA. For many new shooters this the first positive NRA experience these people will have had. Prior to this all they know is what the boston globe has told them.

Okay...... So I've seen this anti-online stuff before (all from people currently teaching classes.... sounds like a friggin' teacher's union).

From people who DO NOT teach firearms classes: Why is this a bad idea? I'm in CT and was forced to take a class 25 years go to exercise a constitutional right. I resented it then, and I resent it now. If one has no choice but to take a bullshit government mandated class what the hell is wrong with taking it online and not having to waste time/gas to attend a physical class? I don't see a problem!

CockedAndLocked~ I support instructing people in firearm knowledge, skills and attitude for the benefit of all shooters, in person. This is an issue where there is NO learning curve for error, if at all avoidable. I wasn't born with the inherent know-how to use firearms safely and in a standard fashion, neither were you.
The NRA Basic Pistol Course is the best initial class anyone can take to learn the entry level manners and safe gun handling skills necessary to function on any gun range, and NOT be told to leave due to improper gun handling or poor manners. I believe that online classes like this are a bad for several reasons, mainly because of the self guided aspect; are all students going to take the time to read an hours worth of gun law from their states web site? Are they going to teach themselves proper grip and sight alignment while looking at a computer screen? Committing to an 8 hour class shows intent to learn and a dedication to that goal, right from the start. I would like to see how the student who's done one of these online firearm courses completes the program in person, at a firing range.
Knowledge, skills and attitude is either within you, or it's not, and those without it, should not be handling firearms.
I wish the "mandatory" part didn't need to be mandated at all. In my perfect world, there'd be people who'd know they need educating on a given subject and would seek it out on their own.
I see this online "training" as a money grab by the NRA, as it circumvents face to face instruction. Yes, individual instructors charge money, however, they are not subsidized and bankrolled by an institution such as the NRA. Look at as helping to support your fellow neighbor.

CockedAndLocked~ I support instructing people in firearm knowledge, skills and attitude for the benefit of all shooters, in person. This is an issue where there is NO learning curve for error, if at all avoidable. I wasn't born with the inherent know-how to use firearms safely and in a standard fashion, neither were you.

Bob Canning
NRA Basic Pistol
PPITH
RSO Instructor

By that logic all the rediculous mandated teenager driver training should be working, but it isn't. Teens and adults who have had lots of driver training are texting, reading GPS units, watching all sorts of video screens while pretending to drive and they are killing a lot of people.

Online training works if the students pay attention. In person training does not work if the student does not pay attention.

Since there is government mandated training I think online training will bring more people to be gun owners. They will be no more or less responsible than others trained in person.

Online training is no more likely to lead to rivers of blood in the streets than the anti's claim of carry licenses leading to the wild west blood in the streets bullshit.

Last edited:
It would not surprise me to see the State step in and start a whole new ball game. Instead of NRA Certified Instructors there could be MA Certified Instructors with a separate curriculum and shooting requirements. We don't need this NRA bull $hit in MA.

Better look again. NRA Basic Pistol and NRA Home Firearm Safety are only two of >20 acceptable courses. Some of those courses were developed by the state institutions. Simply dropping one as no longer acceptable won't have any impact on the LTC process.

Okay...... So I've seen this anti-online stuff before (all from people currently teaching classes.... sounds like a friggin' teacher's union).

From people who DO NOT teach firearms classes: Why is this a bad idea? I'm in CT and was forced to take a class 25 years go to exercise a constitutional right. I resented it then, and I resent it now. If one has no choice but to take a bullshit government mandated class what the hell is wrong with taking it online and not having to waste time/gas to attend a physical class? I don't see a problem!

The problem that some of us see is firearms safety in handling in particular and that the student has a proper attitude (e.g. takes gun handling seriously, isn't talking jihad or revenge, etc.) and actually knows how to load/unload a gun (dummy ammo) prior to heading to the range. If we don't see that, many of us don't feel comfortable meeting them for the first time at the range. [In MA you can't possess a gun prior to getting a LTC, thus they usually don't have the opportunity to handle, load/unload a gun (with dummy ammo) prior to meeting up FTF with an instructor. Not true in other states, however.]

- I just had a student last week who wanted an opportunity to shoot some guns. He had taken a non-shooting course previously. I spent 1/2 hour going over basic safety, using a blue gun, etc. prior to walking out on the range with him.

- Thus I predict that many of us more responsible instructors will take more time to ensure basic safety has sunk in prior to allowing the student to shoot. That will add additional time and expense to a student.

- After they pay NRA $50 or so for the online course, their expectation may be that the live portion shouldn't cost very much and the total cost may seem very high to them (even though it probably won't be much different than what they had to pay before). When we have to pay a $$/student range use fee, ammo costs (never mind chasing .22LR ammo), cost of firearms and repairs to same, cost of insurance (not one of my 4 clubs would ever protect you from liability even if you did it for free or for the club), etc. . . . very few that do it right make any real money. Only the money mill schools are making money teaching firearms courses.

I do not understand the hatred by many wrt instructors charging money for work done? I'll assume everyone here works for a living (or is retired from same) and gets paid for the work that they do. In general you are protected from liability working for a corporation and doing your job and your exposure to liability is quite limited. When it comes to teaching someone to shoot, if anything ever goes wrong at ANY TIME, the instructor can expect to get dragged into court and pay many thousands of dollars to defend themselves even if they didn't charge for their work. NRA won't defend them and 3 of the 4 gun clubs I've belonged to over the past 38 years don't even have insurance to cover officers/board members, never mind covering instructors! All three of them operated on ~$20K/year budgets and usually didn't have more than 2-3x that in their treasury (to pay lawyers or judgments). If one wants to work for nothing and risk their home, savings account, etc. more power to them . . . but expecting everyone to do so is a bit over the top.

Personally I prefer teaching more advanced shooters the Personal Protection courses, which won't qualify them for a LTC. I also find less risk in doing so, even though almost every class has had at least one student perform unsafe acts as they moved with their gun in hand . . . but they accepted correction and understood why it was a problem.

I am very much in favor of training but also very much NOT in favor of gov't mandates for training.

I'm still waiting for replies from people who are NOT instructors and have no financial relation to training. (ie: NOT instructors, NOT range owners, NOT gun store owners, NOT state or federal officials, etc).

And again: It is a constitutional right unqualified by training, licensing, or any other government mandated bullshit.

Exercising first amendment freedom of speech does not require training or licensing, and can be deadly in some circumstances.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom