Rant: Issue with Level III Steel Armor

Can I ask a small question of this slightly old thread? I am in need of a comfy concealed vest for when I am forced into some slightly more volatile GFZ. Does anyone have a IIIA suggestion that does not make me look fat, or turn my credit card into plasma?

Can I ask a small question of this slightly old thread? I am in need of a comfy concealed vest for when I am forced into some slightly more volatile GFZ. Does anyone have a IIIA suggestion that does not make me look fat, or turn my credit card into plasma?

couple of 3a vest suggestions:
1. Hardwire dyneema 3a+ panels (botach has them on sale)
2.Spartan Armor systems - lightweight flexible panels

Another interesting thought I had was how the level 3 plates would stand up to a Mosin, especially with some steel core surplus like the silver tip stuff. I know the bullets have a lot of mass, but they seem to be able to penetrate most stuff.

i shot the same plate of xtry's that M193 penetrated with several types of x54R and none of the rounds penetrated. i was however using a M44 so i lost plenty of velocity.

couple of 3a vest suggestions:
1. Hardwire dyneema 3a+ panels (botach has them on sale)
2.Spartan Armor systems - lightweight flexible panels

I have that carrier, I'm too skinny to conceal it. Are there any total solutions(IE one unit) systems? or is everything separated into carriers and plates for mix and matchability?

Doesn't help you now but I contacted AR500 Armor because they just released their new and improved IIIA soft armor panels. I suggested that they produce a vest with the armor integrated (rather than a panel and carrier configuration) with coverage front, back, and side. They said they'd pass it on to R&D and explore it. I'm sure it would be a little while before they do it, but with more and more civilians buying armor, there's definitely a market for a low profile, light weight, full coverage IIIA vest. I'm sure they'll do it in time.

- - - Updated - - -

Another interesting thought I had was how the level 3 plates would stand up to a Mosin, especially with some steel core surplus like the silver tip stuff. I know the bullets have a lot of mass, but they seem to be able to penetrate most stuff.

It will stop it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gyfx-pJhO4

I should just probably pony up and get one made. I have a longish torso, but I'm kinda skinny. Well, here's an excuse to NEVER gain more than a few pounds.. A custom vest only fits you at one size. I guarantee it cuts down on meal sizes. It's kind of like the Lapband stomach thing, except it's on the outside.

Back
Top Bottom