Rant: Issue with Level III Steel Armor

This is basically me just venting frustration, but if someone is looking at Level III armor maybe they'll learn something here.

So I have Level III steel armor plates (as in for a plate carrier) on the way from AR500 Armor. I ordered them a couple months ago and they shipped yesterday.

Before ordering a did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos about these plates. They're probably the most well known new-production, civilian armor out there right now and overall the product looks good. Here's where I'm frustrated (and I should point out here that AR500 Armor hasn't mislead anyone directly, but I will speculate).

In the dozen plus videos you can find on these plates, people shoot them with all manner of bullets. They stop every pistol round you can throw at them with no issue. They stop shotgun slugs, they stop .308. They even stop .308 AP and will stop a 30-06. The latter two aren't even supposed to be stopped by a Level III plate (as defined by NIJ standards). Lastly... they stop 5.56/.223, but here's the catch... Every video you see shows the person shooting XM855 or heavier 5.56 AP rounds. XM855 is thought to be the one that can get through armor because it has the steel penetrator core. What you never see is someone hitting these plates with XM193.

I don't know if AR500 tells reviewers, who they send armor to, which rounds to use. I'm not saying they do or don't, but it seems like more than a coincidence that none of the big channels have used XM193 against their test plates. Well I was annoyed when I found a video of a guy shooting one of these plates with XM193 and it zipped straight through at 10 yards (and again at 25 yards in another of his videos). So... bummed... To my mind this makes this — and any other Level III plate — all but pointless for civilian use. The uses for armor outside of war are highly focused around close quarters threats. That means within 50 yards, most likely, and it seems XM193 (debatably the most readily accessible 5.56 round) would get through and kill you despite the armor.

Now to be clear I don't fault AR500 Armor's product. There are videos that prove it exceeds NIJ standards on the energy side of things. Trouble is that the NIJ standards don't even account for 5.56. They skip it. At Level IIIA they go to .44 Mag. Then at Level III they jump to tests with 7.62 M80 Ball. Trouble is, it's velocity that defeats armor, much more-so than energy. My beef is mostly with the fact that the NIJ standard hasn't been amended to account for 5.56 threats, but I'm also slightly disappointed in a company — which is clearly very quick to publicize all the things its armor stops, and is clearly mindful of the possible threats out there — that makes armor above Level III standard, but didn't quite take it far enough to stop XM193 at 25 yards.

I'm being a bit unfair pointing fingers, but I do get the sense that they know it can't stop this round. Now that I know, I'm going to look to see if I can supplement the plate (at least the front plate in the carrier) with some Level II soft armor that would hopefully be enough to catch a 5.56 that gets through. Not a perfect solution but a budget solution.

If you're reading this and you've been looking at armor, my personal two cents is to look at something with a higher rating, unless you don't think you'd ever be facing an AR inside 100 yards. If the money comes together at some point, I'll be replacing these with AR500 Armor's Level IV ceramic plates. Twice the money, 50% thicker, and just as heavy, but at least they will stop what is, in my mind, the most likely thing they'll need to stop (above pistols, that is).

End rant.

Last edited:
I'm no expert and i don't own any armor. I've thought about buying some but funds are low. So i've spent some time thinking about it and here are my thoughts:

you need to buy armor for what threats you would face just like you would a firearm. If youre thinking that you want to buy armor for the end of the world and you will be fighting a never ending war then you need to pony up. you need to buy the highest threat level and lightest weigh you can handle. If you think for some reason that you will be in close quarters and might take around to the torso you're going to need to pay $$.

Now if you were buying armor for general unrest maybe constant riots scenario then you could go with a lower rating with the idea that you would be facing handgun threats more often. you know robbers and looters.

if you plan of defending a statioary target like a you would need sand bags and crap. just my worthless .02

Yep, I was even more bummed out when I found out that I should have been investing in xm193, instead of the 855 for this very reason (managing armored threats). Oh well, guess I'll have to start building the stock of xm193 to match.[wink]

Yep, I was even more bummed out when I found out that I should have been investing in xm193, instead of the 855 for this very reason (managing armored threats). Oh well, guess I'll have to start building the stock of xm193 to match.[wink]

I've never placed stock in XM855's ability to defeat any modern armor, but also didn't realize XM193 would be any more capable.

I am actually going to shoot up some of the rhino lined targetman 6"x8" side plates from the group buys here with some xm193 out of a 16" and an 18" gun to see how far back the guns will punch through. I will be sure to share my findings.

I also have 2 10"x12" ar500.com plates that I am going to let my buddies go to work on with what ever they can find for ammo, but that will be more of fun day then an actual fact finding outing.

I'm no expert and i don't own any armor. I've thought about buying some but funds are low. So i've spent some time thinking about it and here are my thoughts:

you need to buy armor for what threats you would face just like you would a firearm. If youre thinking that you want to buy armor for the end of the world and you will be fighting a never ending war then you need to pony up. you need to buy the highest threat level and lightest weigh you can handle. If you think for some reason that you will be in close quarters and might take around to the torso you're going to need to pay $$.

Now if you were buying armor for general unrest maybe constant riots scenario then you could go with a lower rating with the idea that you would be facing handgun threats more often. you know robbers and looters.

if you plan of defending a statioary target like a you would need sand bags and crap. just my worthless .02

Not worthless, sounds fairly logical. Have considered these things several times over the years myself. Personally, I feel as though the newer plastic type materials are the way to go. Much lighter than either ceramic, or steel, better multi hit capability, and in some cases more cost effective (than ceramic anyway).

I am actually going to shoot up some of the rhino lined targetman 6"x8" side plates from the group buys here with some xm193 out of a 16" and an 18" gun to see how far back the guns will punch through. I will be sure to share my findings.

I also have 2 10"x12" ar500.com plates that I am going to let my buddies go to work on with what ever they can find for ammo, but that will be more of fun day then an actual fact finding outing.

Yes, please share your results!

Not worthless, sounds fairly logical. Have considered these things several times over the years myself. Personally, I feel as though the newer plastic type materials are the way to go. Much lighter than either ceramic, or steel, better multi hit capability, and in some cases more cost effective (than ceramic anyway).

I think I have read the new age plastics are defeated by m855. There is no easy win here, if you want to stop common rifle rounds, the answer seems to be ceramics.

The only problem with ceramics is their lack of true multi hit capability.. Then again, if you are getting shot multiple times in your chest armor, you have a much bigger problem. I also worry about the back face deformation. Chaotic surface tech + a harder steel might be a better option, even for the XM193. But seriously, if you're worried about the XM193, you don't have to spill too much energy for it to not go liquijet esplody through the armor. I seriously don't know why the AR500 guys are not working on composite steel/ceramic laminates. You could shave a bit of weight off sandwiching ceramic between two thin sheets of AR500/600+ steels.

Have no experience in armor, but some in target steel. What is the thickness of the plates? Is it AR500 steel or is that the company's name?

When I was purchasing target steel, the manufacturer told me I could use 1/2" ar500 steel for any common defensive pistol round at any distance. Only worry was ricochet. He also said that 1/2" would stand up to non-ap rifle rounds with an impact velocity below 2850 fps. Non-ap rounds with impact velocity over 2850 would damage or penetrate 1/2" ar500.

I didn't bother asking for specifics regarding ar550 or ar600 steel.

The company is AR500 Armor
http://www.ar500armor.com/

They coat AR500 steel with a Line-X Urethane Rubber coating so you don't get spall or splatter when the bullets hit the armor. The stuff is relatively inexpensive. AR500 refers to the Hardness rating of the steel. The XM193 is a small, very fast light bullet, that liquifies on impact with the steel, and melts a hole through the armor. Larger, slower bullets just go splat.

HSC has a bunch of racks of the steel plates targets made of the stuff. They seem to last quite well until DB come by with 4000SW magnums or Commie block AP ammo and crack the mounts. The plates at the 200/300 yard range are MUCH thicker. I think they have a 2" thick one for the 50bmg'ers.

Then again, if you are getting shot multiple times in your chest armor, you have a much bigger problem.

Please explain what problem is bigger than your armor failing when hit with multiple rounds? Personally, I see that rather high on the scale of problems.

i can bring in my 20" if you want to get even more velocity out of it.

would be nice to also test some simple cheap methods of augmenting your level 3 plates and see what can stop the zippy m193
i'm thinking maybe taping ceramic tile to the front and see how it does and if it has any affect at all.

i can bring in my 20" if you want to get even more velocity out of it.

would be nice to also test some simple cheap methods of augmenting your level 3 plates and see what can stop the zippy m193
i'm thinking maybe taping ceramic tile to the front and see how it does and if it has any affect at all.

Like I told you guys, come up with your worst and lay hate down on those plates.

I don't know much about steel plates, but how can it stop .308 and 30-06 and not stop 5.56?

I don't know much about steel plates, but how can it stop .308 and 30-06 and not stop 5.56?

It's all about the speed/velocity of the smaller and lighter xm193 round. Those larger rounds have much more mass and kinetic energy so they hit harder, but still go splat. As mentioned in one of the above posts, the xm193 basically becomes a plasma jet and drills right through.

I remember learning that 193 could burn through level III armor. So i've kept in the back of my mind, to keep some 193 on hand. Also.. why is that dude rocking a helmet? To help w/ his Tier 1 status?

I'm sure he had ricochet in mind. Hence the Kevlar as well. He's way too close for rifle on steel so he's taking precautions I'm sure.

FYI. We tried some XM193 (same batch as used in the En Gaurde test) on the same steal plate with a 20" when it was cold out (20F roughly) and we couldn't get it to punch through even stacking a few rounds. It was making small dents though.

We lost some velocity due to the cold and that was enough to stop penetration. I'd be interested in this weather if a 24" would alter that.

Not sayng I still don't prefer the Ceramic armor, just throwing out the data.

I guess, the plates were coated, should've caught any spalling. If he doesn't trust the coating to catch it, then why wear it in the first place?

I've shot bare steel at 5yds. The ricochet argument is pretty worthless. The worst you're going to get is a scratch from a jacket fragment and the odds of even that are low.

This is basically me just venting frustration, but if someone is looking at Level III armor maybe they'll learn something here.

So I have Level III steel armor plates (as in for a plate carrier) on the way from AR500 Armor. I ordered them a couple months ago and they shipped yesterday.

Before ordering a did a lot of research and watched a lot of videos about these plates. They're probably the most well known new-production, civilian armor out there right now and overall the product looks good. Here's where I'm frustrated (and I should point out here that AR500 Armor hasn't mislead anyone directly, but I will speculate).

In the dozen plus videos you can find on these plates, people shoot them with all manner of bullets. They stop every pistol round you can throw at them with no issue. They stop shotgun slugs, they stop .308. They even stop .308 AP and will stop a 30-06. The latter two aren't even supposed to be stopped by a Level III plate (as defined by NIJ standards). Lastly... they stop 5.56/.223, but here's the catch... Every video you see shows the person shooting XM855 or heavier 5.56 AP rounds. XM855 is thought to be the one that can get through armor because it has the steel penetrator core. What you never see is someone hitting these plates with XM193.

I don't know if AR500 tells reviewers, who they send armor to, which rounds to use. I'm not saying they do or don't, but it seems like more than a coincidence that none of the big channels have used XM193 against their test plates. Well I was annoyed when I found a video of a guy shooting one of these plates with XM193 and it zipped straight through at 10 yards (and again at 25 yards in another of his videos). So... bummed... To my mind this makes this — and any other Level III plate — all but pointless for civilian use. The uses for armor outside of war are highly focused around close quarters threats. That means within 50 yards, most likely, and it seems XM193 (debatably the most readily accessible 5.56 round) would get through and kill you despite the armor.

Now to be clear I don't fault AR500 Armor's product. There are videos that prove it exceeds NIJ standards on the energy side of things. Trouble is that the NIJ standards don't even account for 5.56. They skip it. At Level IIIA they go to .44 Mag. Then at Level III they jump to tests with 7.62 M80 Ball. Trouble is, it's velocity that defeats armor, much more-so than energy. My beef is mostly with the fact that the NIJ standard hasn't been amended to account for 5.56 threats, but I'm also slightly disappointed in a company — which is clearly very quick to publicize all the things its armor stops, and is clearly mindful of the possible threats out there — that makes armor above Level III standard, but didn't quite take it far enough to stop XM193 at 25 yards.

I'm being a bit unfair pointing fingers, but I do get the sense that they know it can't stop this round. Now that I know, I'm going to look to see if I can supplement the plate (at least the front plate in the carrier) with some Level II soft armor that would hopefully be enough to catch a 5.56 that gets through. Not a perfect solution but a budget solution.

If you're reading this and you've been looking at armor, my personal two cents is to look at something with a higher rating, unless you don't think you'd ever be facing an AR inside 100 yards. If the money comes together at some point, I'll be replacing these with AR500 Armor's Level IV ceramic plates. Twice the money, 50% thicker, and just as heavy, but at least they will stop what is, in my mind, the most likely thing they'll need to stop (above pistols, that is).

End rant.

Not to start an argument, but I have AR500 targets that stop M193 with not much more than a small divot, like .5mm deep.

edit: nvm, i see it's been discussed.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom