Range Paranoia

Hey guys, this is something that's been on my mind since the last few times I went to the range, especially since I'm using the indoor range. I know that washing hands, forearms, face, etc, right after the range is a must. Also, that my clothes should be washed seperately. But does anyone change into "range" clothes at the range, and then change back after? I've been a little extra paranoid, having a pregnant wife at home, and a newborn soon enough...I don't want my new hobby to put anyone in any needless danger.

Any input would be great.

If you're bothering to go to these measures (advisable with young children in-the-household ...anyone who crawls around on the floor), DO NOT forget your footwear.

Boots and shoes can be the transport kings when dealing with lead dust. At the very least, get a nice heavy-duty boot-scrubber-type doormat and use it.

Or, simply extend you current program and have "range" boots/shoes.

Indoor Air Quality - EPA

I have a dedicated, old pair of timberlands for the range. I take them off outside, then carry them to the back porch.

As far as clothes go, I was thinking (more paranoia) if I just change into clothes for the range...would it be better to just take them to cleaners...so my wifes and baby's clothes are washed in the same machine?

I apologize if I seem a little over paranoid....but when you come from a family that's been cursed with so many cancer deaths (I guess whose isn't nowadays) I'm just trying to be cautious.

I swear there were some women here who posted they went shooting while pregnant. Not sure what that means, but I imagine they at least considered some of the ramifications. I just washed my hands well after shooting, but that was not indoors.

Being concerned about your pregnant wife and unborn child doesn't make you paranoid.Do what makes you feel comfortable.

Take all the precautions you can think of. If it helps you sleep better at night then do it. I'd rather be safe than sorry.

After reading several threads on this topic, it seems the following are pretty solid recommendations
1) Wear a respirator shooting indoors (even in a well vented facility)
2) Have a dedicated set of "range clothe" (to include shoes) that get taken off as soon as you get home and washed (ie, don't wear them around to track stuff around)
3) Wash your hands thoroughly with soap & water immediately after shooting
4) Wear gloves when cleaning/have a dedicated area

The other common theme was that wearing a respirator & washing hands were perhaps the most important things to do- because while some lead does stick to your clothes/shoes...the biggest vector into your body is inhaling it, followed by ingesting it.

As for the range clothes...I imagine that taking off your shoes, outer shirt, etc...before you enter the home would really help A LOT in regards to bringing anything back with you.

I also think its great you are being proactive about the health of your new baby, wife, and yourself.

The latest NES range gear! Get yours while supplies last!!

crbs0481429.jpg

After reading several threads on this topic, it seems the following are pretty solid recommendations
2) Have a dedicated set of "range clothe" (to include shoes) that get taken off as soon as you get home and washed (ie, don't wear them around to track stuff around)

The other common theme was that wearing a respirator & washing hands were perhaps the most important things to do- because while some lead does stick to your clothes/shoes...the biggest vector into your body is inhaling it, followed by ingesting it.

As for the range clothes...I imagine that taking off your shoes, outer shirt, etc...before you enter the home would really help A LOT in regards to bringing anything back with you.

I do 3 out of 4. Yes, number 3: Wash hands.

I can't imagine a separate set of clothes, a mask, or gloves (unless cold) for any of this. If it got that complicated, I'd probably not do it at all.

I do 3 out of 4. Yes, number 3: Wash hands.

I can't imagine a separate set of clothes, a mask, or gloves (unless cold) for any of this. If it got that complicated, I'd probably not do it at all.

+1. Its shooting, not disassembling nuclear reactors. [rolleyes]

Agreed; pregnant women need to take additional precautions.

You know, a coveralls idea does not seem to be such a bad one in this case, and really appeals to me.

You could own a few pair that you keep in a plastic bag in-the-trunk of your car or in the garage ...etc.

And occasionally as time and circumstances merit, take them to the laundromat.

It would certainly go a long way to isolating the Pb. And would be far less of a hassle than having to use a lockerroom/or your vehicle as a changing room. and you can still toss your regular clothing into the laundry when you get home.

I used to spend a bit of time working on my vehicles, and used to use coveralls when doing so. Now they just sit there in a drawer. Time and technology have blunted my interest in tinkering. Perhaps I should add coveralls to my loading-bench gear. You know, put an NES patch next to the RCBS logo over the breast pocket.[wink]

Last edited:
With adequate ventilation there is little to no increased risk of exposure to lead in an indoor facility. In fact, an indoor facility can be better than outdoors.

I don't really do much other than wash my hands and change my clothes when I get home. I've been doing this for years. Both me and my three year old have had several blood tests for lead (me because I've asked for it, my boy because it's standard) and they've never come back even slightly elevated.

I'm not saying don't be cautious, it never hurts, but it does sound like you're getting just a bit paranoid. However, I think gerrycaruso has the best advice, do what makes you feel comfortable.

Tyvek paint suits are what $5? Depending on how often you go to the range and how much you are willing to spend you could suit up and toss the thing when you are done. Might look funny... whatever.

Tyvek suits? Please.

IF you are sweeping an indoor range, I can see a benefit. Still, skin absorption is the least of your problems, compared to inhalation.

Let's not get carried away. Remember, shooters running around in hazmat gear will be used as evidence of:

1. Militias planning CBW attacks;

2. Militias planning assaults on nuclear reactors; or

3. Shooting being such a source of Deadly Lead Contamination that the entire activity ought to be banned to save the planet. This attack will be led by Prius owners, willfully oblivious to the contamination their "clean" car causes, particularly from mining and refining the nickel in their batteries.

Some rational thought is in order here.

Last edited:
Tyvek suits? Please.

IF you are sweeping an indoor range, I can see a benefit. Still, skin absorption is the least of your problems, compared to inhalation.

Let's not get carried away. Remember, shooters running around in hazmat gear will be used as evidence of:

1. Militias planning CBW attacks;

2. Militias planning assaults on nuclear reactors; or

3. Shooting being such a source of Deadly Lead Contamination that the entire activity ought to be banned to save the planet. This attack will be led by Prius owners, willfully oblivious to the contamination, particularly from mining and refining the nickel in their batteries, their "clean" car causes.

Some rational thought is in order here.

Bravo!

Good God in Heaven, some of you guys do get carried away.

I wash my hands where I get home. Period. End of story. I take a shower at the end of the day just like I do every day.

Check the OP before you opine. My statements/comments were based upon the conditions that he stated ...not my own.

Stated Conditions:

Concerned father-to-be

Pregnant wife

Indoor range (or outdoors for that matter)

These conditions certainly boost the concern beyond "guy at-the-range" policies.

I just wash my hands too ...if I remember to. Hmmm ...perhaps that's the Pb talkin'.

Check the OP before you opine. My statements/comments were based upon the conditions that he stated ...not my own

Yet you stated - regarding YOUR situation:

Perhaps I should add coveralls to my loading-bench gear. You know, put an NES patch next to the RCBS logo over the breast pocket.

Do whatever makes you feel safe, clean, pure, whatever...

I also think its great you are being proactive about the health of your new baby, wife, and yourself.

I recently had a long talk with an occupational therapist because of my elevated lead level.
Her recommendations:
Wash face, hands and arms with soap and COLD water before leaving the range.
Change out of your shooting clothes before you get in the car, otherwise you will contaminate the interior of the car.
Wash range clothes separately from other laundry.
Do not wear range footwear into the house, you will contaminate the floors (bad for crawlers).

Check the OP before you opine. My statements/comments were based upon the conditions that he stated ...not my own.

Stated Conditions:

Concerned father-to-be

Pregnant wife

Indoor range (or outdoors for that matter)

These conditions certainly boost the concern beyond "guy at-the-range" policies.

I just wash my hands too ...if I remember to. Hmmm ...perhaps that's the Pb talkin'.

I was a shooter a reloader long before my child was born. I did not change a single thing when my wife got pregnant.

I've been down this road before.

I recently had a long talk with an occupational therapist because of my elevated lead level.
Her recommendations:
Wash face, hands and arms with soap and COLD water before leaving the range.
Change out of your shooting clothes before you get in the car, otherwise you will contaminate the interior of the car.
Wash range clothes separately from other laundry.
Do not wear range footwear into the house, you will contaminate the floors (bad for crawlers).

Have you determined for sure the range is the source of your elevated lead levels? Because if not, I would not assume it is the range. There are a lot of other much more likely sources. The range is actually very safe and not typically a source of personal contamination. You will note above I spoke in terms of *risk* of exposure and not in terms of contamination. It was intentional.

I have a dedicated set of shooting sneakers. My Converse All Star Chuck Taylors.

And I wear nothing else except a bandoleer of mags across the chest.

I have a couple shirts, sweatshirt or jacket depending on weather that I wear to the range. Same stuff I would wear for puttering in the basement with other hobby projects. For me it's really more about staining the cloths with solvents than hygiene but it's the same idea. Likewise I often take the top outer layer off before getting in my car to drive home but again for me it's so I don't stain the car with Hoppes No. 9.

Back
Top Bottom