• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Range Bag

About to purchase a range bag mainly for pistol use. I like to carry more than one pistol and would like to be able to fit everything except maybe targets. I am considering the large sig sauer, the 4 pistol glock, and the uncle mike's deluxe. Any advice would be appreciate with regards to durability other brands and use.
Thanks

Forget a bag.

Get a rolling toolbox. FAR more room, FAR easier to move and you have a hard surface to sit and work on.

For my pistols I use the Maxpedition Gerslinger line. I can not say enough about these bags. For around the $100 mark you get a super tough bag, that holds and holds with lots of compartments and access. They are available in different sizes to fit your needs. They even make back packs specifically for CCW with external pistol sleeves for super easy draw access. I strongly suggest you at least check them out. Here is a link to the manufacturer and a pretty good review site. Happy hunting.

http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=2
http://milspecmonkey.com/weargear/packsbags

Even if you don't go the Maxpedition route, go through milspecmonkey.com - the best reviews of gear and equipment I have found - TONS of pictures and very relevant reviews.

Shooters Connection.

http://shootersconnectionstore.com/...ament-Series-Shooting-Bag-PRO-BLACK-P555.aspx

and then get one of these.

daves158.jpg

Now I have something to do today. Find that old baby jogger and convert it.

Thanks I figured you are usually getting ripped of with the brand name or they are made by someone else for far less money.

Can't say enough good thing about the Midway range bag. For $40, it's a steal! It fits plent of ammo, magazines, and comes with 2 padded sleeves for pistols.

The Midway bag is THE way to go.

I have two and they wear like iron. I often give them as gifts as well.

They do appear to be clones of the Shooters Connection bag, but believe me, the qualtity is every bit as good.

Why pay about $100.00 more?

I use a large tool bag from Lowes. It is heavy duty, lockable, tons of pockets, and it doesn't look like a gun bag on the back seat. Cost $35

They do appear to be clones of the Shooters Connection bag, but believe me, the qualtity is every bit as good.

The quality is not even close to that of the Shooters Connection, The material is heavier, the stitching is better and there is more off it, the zippers are better as is the metal

why pay more? So you'll have a better bag from a company that spent the time and effort designed it, not a cheap rip off from some douche in China.

The quality is not even close to that of the Shooters Connection, The material is heavier, the stitching is better and there is more off it, the zippers are better as is the metal

why pay more? So you'll have a better bag from a company that spent the time and effort designed it, not a cheap rip off from some douche in China.

What a radical, indeed, dangerous thought!

If this principle is adopted by the average American Consumer, it would destroy Wal-Mart, et al, and free us from a large portion of our foreign debt. Dangerous thinking.....

Enjoy your bag.

I was at the club yesterday someone had the Uncle Mike's Law Enforcement Edition. This thing was super heavy duty. I think it was heavier than his gear. Nice quality but I was not impressed with space. The Midway does look like everything I need but I do try to "when possible" buy american. I guess exept for the majority of my handguns. I will check out the shooters connection.

I've had one of Bagmaster's Pro-Shooter Large bags for about 10 years now - great bag. The only thing that's ever gone wrong with it was the leather zipper pull connecting the top 2 zippers didn't survive the second trip to the range, and became a chunk of 550 cord instead. I've been putting far too much ammo in this bag for years, and had no stitch pullouts or zipper problems anywhere - very well made in the USA, and lifetime warranty.

My other favorite bag is a Stanley Mobile Work Center toolbox. My local Home Depot was blowing them out for $20 a piece, so I figured I couldn't lose. Now if I'm going to be dragging along a lot of ammo, this is the go-to 'bag'. I was surprised how well it works! The only needed modification is to add a hasp for a lock on the lower compartment. It would attract no attention in the back of the truck at all, if it weren't standing next to a shot up target stand.

The ishot bag looks pretty neat. Almost like a file cabinet. The stanley mobile work center I am buy just because a 40 bucks full price this thing is a bargain. The stanely would work great for my extended New Hampshire trips. The midway / shooters connection is the way I am leaning towards for the everyday bag.

Another big +1 on the shooters connection bag. Excellent quality, tons of space, and you get a bag for your spent brass too.

Go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Steve

I like the Shooter's Connection pistol "rugs" and cases, especially now that Green Mountain is no more.

That said, I'm not lugging gear from range to hot, dusty range in a bag that digs into my shoulder any more. My large, hard, Stanley rolling toobox carries everything I will need, most of what I might need and provides a seat and work surface to boot.

My other favorite bag is a Stanley Mobile Work Center toolbox. My local Home Depot was blowing them out for $20 a piece, so I figured I couldn't lose. Now if I'm going to be dragging along a lot of ammo, this is the go-to 'bag'. I was surprised how well it works! The only needed modification is to add a hasp for a lock on the lower compartment. It would attract no attention in the back of the truck at all, if it weren't standing next to a shot up target stand.

This

I am the original designer of the Shooters Connection Pro Bag. Midway and many others saw that this was the best designed bag and most widely used bag by USPSA competition shooters so they copied it.At the shot show we saw a new copy by Allen case, its even worse quality than the Midway bag. The 5.11 tactical bag is a closer copy in Quality but its still a stolen design. Not sure why they didn't change it even a little. Especially Midway who copied the design exactly and then claimed it was their design. We have now changed the way the top flap works so it can be locked. There was one issue we had with the old top and that is the shooters would rip the stop tabs off the zippers which couldn't be fixed once it happened. We fixed that in the newest design with the lockable top zipper. The Midway bag still has that flawed design, not sure for how long. They will probably steel that also. I have talked with them about this and it falls on deaf ears. I have to assume they are ok with stealing others designs and claiming credit for it. Ironically they still carry and sell my bag as well.

The reason to respond to this post is to give some background and then to respond to the claim its the same bag with the same quality. That just eats at my gut. It is the same design but it is not the same quality. I have made this comparison before so Midway has now changed their description to counter this claim. I have to question whether the new description is valid.
We use a PVC backed Nylon that is custom produced for our bags and the seams are double and triple stitched. We also use a thicker denser foam padding and heavy duty zippers and hardware. Many things are not able to be seen at a glance.

There are two different markets these will appeal to. If you will use it heavily and want the best quality then our bag is for you. Those of you that buy the copycat bag just keep in mind that the design was mine and you are using a product that I designed. There is a reason they can sell it cheaper. I can tell you I pay more for my bag than they sell theirs for. I have considered having the bag made much cheaper but I cant in good faith attach my name to something of such poor quality. We have a 5 year warranty, dont think there is one on the Midway bag.

I found a long time go that the only thing you can count on leaving this world is your reputation. No way i would copy somebody else's design, claim credit for it, make it cheaper and then prey upon the consumer using the originals reputation on design and quality to get their money and make a few bucks. Sad thing is this is not abnormal in todays society nor is it even frowned upon. I choose to operate with Ethics and Morals if I have to resort to the tactics others use to succeed I guess I will move on. For now its working for me.

This or any of the Stanley rolling type tool carriers work the best.

+1 Chuck. I just ordered your bag after going through (2) Midway bags. The stitching has separated on both bags, and the shoulder strap just ripped on the last one, I should have learned my lesson, but I was too cheap.

I am the original designer of the Shooters Connection Pro Bag. Midway and many others saw that this was the best designed bag and most widely used bag by USPSA competition shooters so they copied it.At the shot show we saw a new copy by Allen case, its even worse quality than the Midway bag. The 5.11 tactical bag is a closer copy in Quality but its still a stolen design. Not sure why they didn't change it even a little. Especially Midway who copied the design exactly and then claimed it was their design. We have now changed the way the top flap works so it can be locked. There was one issue we had with the old top and that is the shooters would rip the stop tabs off the zippers which couldn't be fixed once it happened. We fixed that in the newest design with the lockable top zipper. The Midway bag still has that flawed design, not sure for how long. They will probably steel that also. I have talked with them about this and it falls on deaf ears. I have to assume they are ok with stealing others designs and claiming credit for it. Ironically they still carry and sell my bag as well.

The reason to respond to this post is to give some background and then to respond to the claim its the same bag with the same quality. That just eats at my gut. It is the same design but it is not the same quality. I have made this comparison before so Midway has now changed their description to counter this claim. I have to question whether the new description is valid.
We use a PVC backed Nylon that is custom produced for our bags and the seams are double and triple stitched. We also use a thicker denser foam padding and heavy duty zippers and hardware. Many things are not able to be seen at a glance.

There are two different markets these will appeal to. If you will use it heavily and want the best quality then our bag is for you. Those of you that buy the copycat bag just keep in mind that the design was mine and you are using a product that I designed. There is a reason they can sell it cheaper. I can tell you I pay more for my bag than they sell theirs for. I have considered having the bag made much cheaper but I cant in good faith attach my name to something of such poor quality. We have a 5 year warranty, dont think there is one on the Midway bag.

I found a long time go that the only thing you can count on leaving this world is your reputation. No way i would copy somebody else's design, claim credit for it, make it cheaper and then prey upon the consumer using the originals reputation on design and quality to get their money and make a few bucks. Sad thing is this is not abnormal in todays society nor is it even frowned upon. I choose to operate with Ethics and Morals if I have to resort to the tactics others use to succeed I guess I will move on. For now its working for me.

Welcome to the forum, congratulations on the design and thanks for the thoughtful explanation.

I'm a huge supporter of intellectual property, etc. having spent my career in the software business. If you have a claim against Midway or its vendor, why don't you go after them in court?

If you don't have a claim, or choose not to pursue them, isn't it just competition?

As I pointed out, I have two of the bags and have given away multiple others. I haven't any complaints and haven't gotten any from recipients. The bag functions flawlessly and wears very well.

I'm very pleased that this bag exists as an option for folks like me, because I could never justify another $100 for a range bag and would be likely be working out a standard cheap duffle bag if this option weren't available.

Titan , you cant patent this kind of thing. So no legal action can be taken. Just because its legal doesn't make it ethical. Even though I don't like it I accept it. There are discussions like this all over the internet. I get notification of it and rarely respond until somebody claims its the same quality bag or even the same bag with a different name and that I am just gouging people.

I dont really consider it simple competition. Why couldn't they just come up with their own design to compete? There are thousands of different range that compete. I have a high end product built for a specific type of customer. When they use my exact design that tells me they are trying to capitalize on that idea and reputation. They even take credit for the design by saying they built it from the ground up. This is more like the type of tactics one would associate with bad lawyers and used car salesmen. I refuse to tarnish my reputation by operating that way, its a shame others do. When they do I have to seriously question the overall business principles they operate under and lack of ethics overall.

Midway competition Bag or smaller competition bag, no question. Larger bag is on sale at midway for $39. cannot go wrong. will easily hold 2 pistols in their own seperate pistol rugs, a brass bag and a ton of space for all other needs. I love mine and will only use these from here on until they became unavailable

Back
Top Bottom