Range bag/Range tote

I have used those collapsible carts in the first amazon link for work. They don't last long and are not very durable. Ymmv.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a SwissGear Backpack
http://www.rakuten.com/prod/swissge...s&adid=18163&gclid=COacl5yn0r0CFW5eOgodPxoAKA

It has its pros and cons. It has separate pockets where I can put the cleaning stuff, eyes and ears etc. I usually put the ammo and guns into one compartment and lock the zipper (only to the extend that it is legal)
The main advantage is that it is large enough to carry 10 by 16 cardboard targets without bending them.
It is not ideal if you would like to have secure pouches for your mags etc, but it is fairly solidly built. Not too cheap either.

I use a Jansport back pack most of the time. I'm close to TRPC and the indoor is 24/7 so my big range bag is overkill if it's just me.

I use a cloth shopping bag from my grocery store. That, my long gun cases, and an ammo can will take enough stuff to keep me happy at the range for a couple hours.

Don't laugh... I use an Eddie Bauer range bag that I got at a yard sale for half a buck. I learned from one of my girls later that they have a lifetime warranty, so it'll be worth the four bits. [smile]

There was a rattle/pacifier/brightly colored plastic keys/baby thingy in it, which I handed back to the woman operating the yardsale. She offered to throw it in for another half a buck, I replied that I would be using the bag for its' intended purpose and not as a diaper bag.
When I told her what the intended purpose was, she replied "What kinda gun can you put in a little handbag like that?"
Her dad was within earshot for this exchange, and laughed out loud when I replied "Uh.... a handgun?"

I actually use an old cylcing backpack:

31509410.jpg

It was designed as a messenger's backpack and it pretty bulletproof, mainly because it's 1000 denier Cordura. I've been toting it around for 15 years. No tears and zippers have never failed.

Plus it doesn't yell "I have a bunch of gun stuff in here" if you leave it in the car and visible. Just looks like a kids backpack.

I gave up on range bags as they eventually fell apart. Nothing wrong with the bags, just normal wear and tear over many years. I now use tool bags purchased from Lowes. They are cheaper so I have several for various types of shooting. Since I am getting a little lazy I recently bought a rolling tool chest made by Bostitch. It is similar to the others on the market but has the advantage of separating into upper and lower parts making storage in the truck, or trunk, much easier.

Using a cordura/leather backpack I've had for ten years and it's made
very well and works perfectly as a range bag.
2BD48D89-3F2E-4463-8114-CF5AAD7CA9CE-10993-0000297B21F75D1B_zpse6b981ba.jpg

I use a midway bag I love it plenty of room for everything I need and more

I got one for x-mas and I really like it so far. They are a clone/copy of the Shooters Connection range bags. They aren't quite as well made (Plastic d-rings on the zipper pulls suck) but the overall constuction sweems pretty sturdy regarding the fabric and how the load bearing sections are made and reinforced. I've seen some guys that have had the shooters connections bags carrying tons of gear for years and they are still going strong.

Never found a range bag that was big enough, so I adopted a rolling tool box. It works well, is easy to transport, and locks for MA compliance. Mine is similar to this, but a bit sturdier:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Stanley-37-in-Mobile-Job-Box-037025H/202300294

I actually find myself looking at range bags for the upcoming uspsa season.... I find myself asking, "what the hell does everyone put in these bags?"

No, seriously, what the hell do you carry with you to fill a toolbox?

(Serious question, not being sarcastic )

I use a husky tool bag from Home Depot. Works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is what I have been using. Found it a bit too small (I had the $20 version) so I just upgraded to one of their larger bags. I like to put pretty much everything including ammo, hand guns, magazines, eye and ear protection, stapler, and so on. If I needed a bunch of different caliber ammo I found I was running out of space in the small version.

I actually find myself looking at range bags for the upcoming uspsa season.... I find myself asking, "what the hell does everyone put in these bags?"

No, seriously, what the hell do you carry with you to fill a toolbox?

(Serious question, not being sarcastic )

Everything you need for a match that you can fit in there- all the ammo you might need x2, any tools you might need, mags, bug spray, sun block, brass bag, rule book, ears, etc, etc, etc. I also bring a cooler with lunch and water.

Use the same criteria you would when buying a gun safe- get one bigger than you think you'll need.

Last edited:
I have 3 I use, one is a Duckpak tool bag, very heavy duty but a bit small. Second is a Beretta Range bag I got free when I bought my 92fs and the 3rd is a Winchester range bag, probably the thinnest material and cheapest zipper of the three. I don't see it lasting long.

Back
Top Bottom