• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

random thought about mounting a stock to the front rail of a pistol

as of to what, exactly?

to do it for fun - sure, why not. one can make it, or buy anything that already exists.

but if you will look deeper - what will be ab actual use case scenario for this? what this contraption will provide and what will this combo be superior of?
the only fact about it is - if it would have any value, it would exist now and was widely accepted. and it is neither.
It is the worst of both worlds.

You lose the functionality of a handgun.
You don't get the stability of a proper rifle.

Has a single point of attachment.
Looks too bulky.

That is why I said, if you are going to do it, build a proper SBR with a very short rifle. It will be more stable, easier to hold, easier to do reloads ...

I looked the grip shape and and thought, "Hey, that's a Dan Wesson!" and then confirmed it when I noticed the other barrel/shroud sets..
Crazy huh. Some guy in Austria owns it and posted the photo on the DW Facebook group.

Crazy huh. Some guy in Austria owns it and posted the photo on the DW Facebook group.
There is a place that will do this custom work and turn revolvers into revolving rifles.

I have never done business with them but I have been tempted to buy the BFR ... that is until I start to think how much it would hurt to get the blast to my forearm every shot.

The Blackhawk would be awesome, but I think a revolver that uses moonclips would be much better. Having to unload and reload one by one in a revolving rifle is kinda lame.

There is a place that will do this custom work and turn revolvers into revolving rifles.

I have never done business with them but I have been tempted to buy the BFR ... that is until I start to think how much it would hurt to get the blast to my forearm every shot.
black_leather_bracer_studs-1024x1024.jpg

The Blackhawk would be awesome, but I think a revolver that uses moonclips would be much better. Having to unload and reload one by one in a revolving rifle is kinda lame.

That's interesting, though. I didn't know there was anyone out there doing that. It says they put a gas deflector on the front of the cylinder, but I can't really see one in the pics.

Hes probably talking about a micro rice a roni or some gimmick like that which pending court actions may or may not be legal.
gotta be something already on the boards in california. they make us look like amateurs when it comes to circumnavigating gun restriction laws. someone wanted to develop a stock that was "shouldered" on ones thigh. yeah, i didn't see one either but my mind was running rampant. good ole cali-forn-ni-a know how.

gotta be something already on the boards in california. they make us look like amateurs when it comes to circumnavigating gun restriction laws. someone wanted to develop a stock that was "shouldered" on ones thigh. yeah, i didn't see one either but my mind was running rampant. good ole cali-forn-ni-a know how.
Cali compliant doesn't get you around federal NFA problems that may or may not exist.

Further their AWB is something of the byzantine empire vs the MA one. In some cases there mau be minor overlap but in most others.... not so much.

here's what crossed my mind when reading the 1st post. shouldn't be tough to 3d print, or carve from a 2x6, just need to accomodate the magazine escape.

View attachment 730947

So take that, and flip it 180 degrees, but dial back the curvature. The brass has somewhere to go, ejecting mags is a non-issue, you have a top rail for optics, but only using the amount of material necessary for stiffness and durability. Top of the ... rail? Support? The material that would rise above the slide to ensure clearance for operating all current controls, would curve as it came back into place to accept a AR buffer tube adapter for mounting of AR-style stocks. Ensuring sufficient space to rack the slide is the issue that pops into my head. Even on the Odin Universal Chassis linked before, racking the slide is going to require some relearning. At the very least, is a lot worse than stock, though I guess you could add a handle onto the side of the slide if you *had* to.

Last edited:
as of to what, exactly?

to do it for fun - sure, why not. one can make it, or buy anything that already exists.

but if you will look deeper - what will be ab actual use case scenario for this? what this contraption will provide and what will this combo be superior of?
the only fact about it is - if it would have any value, it would exist now and was widely accepted. and it is neither.
That is a terrible way to view things. There is always room to innovate. Something can always be better. I don't even know if this would be anything more than a pipe dream or if there is a space/time/place where you could 3D print something just to see if it can be done without losing all your dogs.

What you're describing is the pistol chassis systems that already exist. Changing the shape doesn't change the free body diagram.

The only way you get the anti-climb effect you're describing is if your shoulder is contacting the butt above the line of the bore axis. This means you need to float some aiming reference even higher than that. Ironically, sufficient vertical displacement will cause the muzzle to dive.

This is why ARs have the buffer in line with the barrel...

An easier way to control rise is to attach a handle to that patch of pic rail.

That is a terrible way to view things. There is always room to innovate. Something can always be better. I don't even know if this would be anything more than a pipe dream or if there is a space/time/place where you could 3D print something just to see if it can be done without losing all your dogs.
You've been told. If you try this, you've made a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16", it's a Short Barreled Rifle. If you lack the appropriate FFL, and get caught with this device, that's a dog-endangering event.

Last edited:
What you're describing is the pistol chassis systems that already exist. Changing the shape doesn't change the free body diagram.

The only way you get the anti-climb effect you're describing is if your shoulder is contacting the butt above the line of the bore axis. This means you need to float some aiming reference even higher than that.

The easier way to control rise is to attach a handle to that patch of pic rail.

You've been told. If you try this, you've made a rifle. If the barrel is less than 16", it's a Short Barreled Rifle. If you lack the appropriate FFL, and get caught with this device, that's a dog-endangering event.

Yeah, heigh over bore would be not ideal. probably 2" or more. Plus the height of the optic mount. Isn't a mounted grip on a pic rail another bag of worms?

Yeah, trust, I am not going to attempt this myself. It is just something that popped into my head. Invasive thoughts, as they call them.

as of to what, exactly?

If you have to ask why?
I’d counter with, why not?

Sidenote, somewhere in New Hampshire I have a Hide-e-hole full of shit that I can’t hav in Massachusetts… or I gave that shit away I don’t remember… people are looking at me sideways when I was throwing magazines in the trash..

Who wants an eight dollar piece of freedom that’s made out of plastic

Edit…. i’m trying to pull out the GPS coordinates in case anybody wants to go on a scavenger hunt…… I know it’s somewhere between a liquor store and a firework store

Last edited:
It sounds so gay I didn’t put much thought into it. But it might be considered in a AOW. “ all other weapons”

Which I don’t remember if it’s a 5,20, or $25 tax stamp… because you’re using a stock. I’m not sure where that would fall.

Write the NFA branch for a determination letter..
You’ll have to explain it a lot better and draw them a picture..

I’m pretty sure they’re going to tell you. That’s gay
$200 to manufacture and $25 to transfer to someone else after manufacturing

It is the worst of both worlds.

You lose the functionality of a handgun.
You don't get the stability of a proper rifle.

Has a single point of attachment.
Looks too bulky.

That is why I said, if you are going to do it, build a proper SBR with a very short rifle. It will be more stable, easier to hold, easier to do reloads ...

It's like the Boaterhome of pistols. For the guy who dosen't know how to drive a trailer, its a sh*tty looking boat and unwieldy truck.

View: https://youtu.be/TkrLQeyWBMs

Back
Top Bottom