• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

random thought about mounting a stock to the front rail of a pistol

YES! Thank you.

So, while having a single piece of stock down the side works for weight, I was thinking more like 2 pieces of stock (one on either side as well as have a curve to the braces that makes it so the leverage point on the end of the firearm is naturally pressing the end of the barrel downward, so it is always resisting muzzle flip. The odin's set up is very close to what I had in mind, but I would want to have a 6 to 10 inch barrel. Combine something like this with something like an FK Bruno, and you've got one helluva mean compact PDW

I don't see a way to keep the weapon system below the necessary weight to keep it classified as pistol. which could be good or bad.

This company saying "no plastic shit only German quality" is an odd statement, given there are plenty of polymers that are lighter, stiffer, and stronger than aluminum.

Last edited:
I thought a stock on a pistol was a no-go (because you are creating an SBR) or you need a 16” barrel

Edit:

Handguns have been around for ~500 years.

Pretty much everything has been tried.

There seems to be a more-or-less "settled" basic layout, that pretty much everyone, even the Antis,

621195bd-f1df-4ab0-8dec-5acd61db6fae_1.182a029cc254f29c3a07c4139673ea79.jpeg

agree is "right."
Shameless 1911 plug!
👍🏼

YES! Thank you.

… but I would want to have a 6 to 10 inch barrel. Combine something like this with something like an FK Bruno, and you've got one helluva mean compact PDW

It sounds like you want something like an MPX.

When keeping the barrel to ~<=5”, I like the Flux Raider, perhaps with a comp. Much better design than the add-on devices. Sadly, I’m guessing the ATF might classify it as a stock now, rather than a brace.

IMG_0959.jpg

Yes, just a $200 stamp and a lifetime of owning a truly ugly, awkward, and ultimately pointless firearm. [smile]
And informing the government every time you bring it between states.

But at least there's no fear of paying additional tax on transfer, since nobody will buy it from you.

I am not suggesting anyone attempt to make something like this. It's just a thought experiment. You have a UM3 mount that attaches to the underbarrel rail where you would normally mount a laser/flashlight/tactical device. Now imagine from the mounting point, it runs all the way back to become a stock. Placing the connection point and therefore the leverage point near the end of the pistol.
Net of moving some mass forward, the recoil effect on you doesn't change compared to a similarly designed rifle with the same LOP (the force is still transmitted to your shoulder at effectively the same point as a rear mounted stock). The torque load on the stock mount will likely shift, but you should not see that.

A greater effect would be the change in your grip, moving from an extended pistol grip to something more like a rifle grip. with the change in elbow position for your dominant hand, unless you're doing a stock that holds the pistol out at full arm extension.

Last edited:
I think Broc's depiction in post #4 is more accurate.
most stocks on pistols are not extremely useful as it is not optimal to use existing sights where they are with such an artificial stock attached.
with a red dot on a pistol it may be more usable, but, it is still way less ergonomically convenient compared to a proper carbine.

i can see a potential use case there, like an MPX for Sig - for some people who are not into ownership of any rifles. but, i personally would never buy it.
MCK-STOCK-STABILIZER-EXPLAINER-1000x1000.jpg

I thought a stock on a pistol was a no-go (because you are creating an SBR) or you need a 16” barrel

Edit:
You can have them if they existed before they passed the law. It’s like a preban in MA just federal.

I’m a collector and I wouldn’t collect them

You can have them if they existed before they passed the law. It’s like a preban in MA just federal.

I’m a collector and I wouldn’t collect them

This.

And there is apparently ambiguity over whether they need to be the original, antique stock, or whether they can be direct reproductions. Or whether they can be reproductions manufactured before the law.

All this trouble ... OP, just get an AR and put a 4" barrel.

If you have to SBR it, might as well do it right.

All this trouble ... OP, just get an AR and put a 4" barrel.

If you have to SBR it, might as well do it right.
I’m starting to change my mind and now I think the OP might be onto something.

I’ve seen way dumber shit.
I own some dumb shit..

Belt fed 9mm… I bought it so we could break it, but they shut down the shoot… useless, no fun doesn’t even look cool.

The issue is for him to do it legally it cost about five bucks at Home Depot in a $200 tax stamp

I’ve seen way dumber shit.
I own some dumb shit..

Belt fed 9mm… I bought it so we could break it, but they shut down the shoot… useless, no fun doesn’t even look cool.

The issue is for him to do it legally it cost about five bucks at Home Depot in a $200 tax stamp
A belt fed 9mm is not dumb.

as of to what, exactly?

to do it for fun - sure, why not. one can make it, or buy anything that already exists.

but if you will look deeper - what will be ab actual use case scenario for this? what this contraption will provide and what will this combo be superior of?
the only fact about it is - if it would have any value, it would exist now and was widely accepted. and it is neither.

Back
Top Bottom