Rally - Stand With GOAL Against H.4121 June 18

Here's the email followup from Rep Dykema:

Dear Mr. JayMcB,

Thank you again for your visit.

As I mentioned when we spoke, there are ongoing discussions about possible changes to the bill. As we discussed, I have concerns about the bill that would influence my vote and I am actively involved in conversations regarding possible amendments to address at least some of the concerns that we discussed.

Best,
Carolyn Dykema

[FONT=&quot]From:[/FONT][FONT=&quot] jaymcb
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:22 PM
To: Dykema, Carolyn - Rep. (HOU)
Subject: Re: Firearms legislation[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Representative Dykema:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]First, thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Your knowledge of the legislation certainly exceeded mine, and thank you for clarifying the affidavit issue. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I guess after speaking with you, my hypothetical question is the following:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If the legislation goes to a floor vote as-is, can you support it [FONT=&quot]in it's current form[/FONT]? My hope as a constituent is that you cannot and will not.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I reiterate my opposition to the legislation AS A PACKAGE, specifically to Sections 18, 19 and 26, and to a lesser extent, Sections 7 and 33.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Thanks and regards,[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]JayMcB[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

[/B] Not good: if I was gun control rep (NO MORE LARGE CAP LIC)
They could do that anyway. We are facing more restrictions. If they did get rid of large cap lic then that would mean that the list of firearms would be reduced. That is a court case waiting to happen. I'm sure Comm2a would jump all over that. Can't restrict firearms in common use. That is why the glock case references the popularity of glocks, because they're in common use.

I got an email from the Mass Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers to call my reps to oppose this bill, due to increased automatic sentences. I suspect the ACLU will oppose it for the same reasons.
_----_-----------------
M A C D L
Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers

ACTION ALERT!!
Contact Massachusetts House leadership TODAY to urge them to REJECT these extreme sentencing changes for youth in H.4184.

The Massachusetts Judiciary Committee has reported a bill (H.4184) out which may come up for a House of Representatives floor vote as early as TODAY, 6/18!

Unfortunately, the bill contains provisions which significantly undermine the Supreme Judicial Court's recent decision granting Massachusetts youth convicted of murder a meaningful chance at parole after they had served at least 15 years in prison. The bill changes parole eligibility to 20-25 years for those convicted of felony murder, and 25-30 years in other cases. The bill also gives the Parole Board the unprecedented ability to impose a 10 year wait before an individual who is denied parole has the chance to go before the parole board again.
Speaker of the House Robert DeLeo (D) [email protected], (617) 722-2500

Majority Leader Ronald Mariano (D) [email protected], (617) 722-2300

Speaker Pro Tempore Patricia Haddad (D) [email protected], (617) 722-2600

Majority Whip Byron Rushing (D) [email protected], (617) 722-2783

Minority Leader Bradley Jones (R) [email protected], (617) 722-2100

"The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

As much as I believe that possibility should be what this legislation should be about, and if they want to genuinely reduce gun

related violence, then this is where they need to start/address.

Byron Rushing?

LOL!!... 'Hug a Thug' is his middle name.

what was the clarification on the affidavit?

Here's the email followup from Rep Dykema:

Dear Mr. JayMcB,

Thank you again for your visit.

As I mentioned when we spoke, there are ongoing discussions about possible changes to the bill. As we discussed, I have concerns about the bill that would influence my vote and I am actively involved in conversations regarding possible amendments to address at least some of the concerns that we discussed.

Best,
Carolyn Dykema

[FONT="]From:[/FONT][/B][FONT="] jaymcb
Sent: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 5:22 PM
To: Dykema, Carolyn - Rep. (HOU)
Subject: Re: Firearms legislation[/FONT]

[FONT="]Representative Dykema:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT="] [/FONT]

[FONT="]First, thank you for taking the time to speak with me today. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="]Your knowledge of the legislation certainly exceeded mine, and thank you for clarifying the affidavit issue. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="]I guess after speaking with you, my hypothetical question is the following:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="]If the legislation goes to a floor vote as-is, can you support it [B][FONT="]in it's current form[/FONT]
? My hope as a constituent is that you cannot and will not.[/FONT]

[FONT="] [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT="]I reiterate my opposition to the legislation AS A PACKAGE, specifically to Sections 18, 19 and 26, and to a lesser extent, Sections 7 and 33.[/FONT]

[FONT="] [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT="]Thanks and regards,[/FONT]

[FONT="]JayMcB[/FONT][/COLOR]

They could do that anyway. We are facing more restrictions. If they did get rid of large cap lic then that would mean that the list of firearms would be reduced. That is a court case waiting to happen. I'm sure Comm2a would jump all over that. Can't restrict firearms in common use. That is why the glock case references the popularity of glocks, because they're in common use.

My point was (why give them more ammo to use )

My son was 13 years old his mom told him to take out the trash (he was mad) and said why don't I just clean up the shed my wife said good idea NOW you can clean the shed

Last edited:
I've mentioned that the bill should be killed based on the fact that it was hastily presented, barely discussed, poorly written, woefully incomplete, entirely unfunded and generally an embarrassment to the political process regardless of my views on the actual content. It is overwhelmingly clear that it was slapped together just to "do SOMEthing" and just thrown on the legislators to force them to deal with it. They should all vote against it to put the speaker in his place but we know the likelihood of that happening

They want ratings... gun nuts at the statehouse just doesn't get the viewers

True. You can always write a story, include some pictures and submit it to Boston.com or Wicked Local. You never know, they might run it as a letter to the editor.

Does GOAL have any full time lobbyists?

We need people in the state house every day, trumpeting the messages.

How many people on this forum go in to Boston for work, even occasionally, during the week? I'm guessing quite a few.

There were plenty of people who said they couldn't go to the rally because of work, or some meeting etc... well the most important part of the rally was really everyone going in and talking to their representatives.

You don't need GOAL to organize a rally to do that.

If you know you're going to be in Boston during the week just go see if you can meet with your Rep. It would be great to have people constantly stopping in to the statehouse trying to meet with their reps - similar to how we want people to be keep the pressure up by calling/emailing them.

And FYI, I asked the guard at the door for clarification on what you can bring in to the statehouse - the answer is no knives, no pepper spray. However, he said, they are not like the airport and you won't be SOL if you have it on you - they will give you a receipt for anything and you can pick it up on the way out. So don't let that stop you from going in to the statehouse. You can't check your guns, so you are SOL for that though.

Jim Wallace is Goal's full time, registered lobbyist. He is one of FIVE Goal employees. Goal is not a huge organization with manpower and clout, but it's all we have. They're the ones leading the fight, bringing it to the forefront and if you're not a member, you're part of the problem. 16,000 members out of 350,000 licensed gun owners in this state. Imagine if we had 300,000 people in our ranks, with a $10 million annual operating budget. Bet your ass the State House would listen to us.

Jeff hits the nail on the head, it's the constituents of the Commiewealth, who should be in touch with the Reps/Senators all the time!! Mine personally know who I am and where I stand on what issue, and they appreciate it!! The ones who actually give a shit, want to know what their voters are thinking.

I got an email from the Mass Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers to call my reps to oppose this bill, due to increased automatic sentences. I suspect the ACLU will oppose it for the same reasons.
_----_-----------------
M A C D L
Massachusetts Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers

ACTION ALERT!!
Contact Massachusetts House leadership TODAY to urge them to REJECT these extreme sentencing changes for youth in H.4184.

The Massachusetts Judiciary Committee has reported a bill (H.4184) out which may come up for a House of Representatives floor vote as early as TODAY, 6/18!

That says bill H.4184, not H.4121.... or did you get another email as well?

My point was (why give them more ammo to use ) My son was 13 years old his mom told him to take out the trash (he was mad) and said why don't I just clean up the shed my wife said good idea NOW you can clean the shed
I understand your example but i don't think that it applies. legislation is different. Also why should we cower and be scared? We need to let them know that we care and what our concerns are. If the state tried to ban "large Capacity firearms" it would be a case that could help us get rid of all of these lists.

Assuming "something" will be passed, we should be focusing on pushing for amendments to the bill. What items, in particular, should be stricken or altered?

Furthermore, proponents of this law should be put upon to provide hard scientific evidence that these proposals will have X number or percentage of reduced crime, murders, assault, etc. It should be written into the law that if (when) it's proven ineffective, then they should be removed via a sunset provision similar to what was done with the federal '94 AWB.

Last edited:
All Reps and Senators hold local office hours, some even have local offices. Show up, be courteous and professional and state facts.
Start being a regular at their office. the squeaky wheels get the grease.
If they are anti gun, then support pro gun candidates, regardless of district.
www.lee4rep.com

I was at the rally. Spoke with my rep, Nick Boldyga. He is solidly against H-4121.

This is the reply I received from Kevin Murphy:

Your message

To: Murphy, Kevin - Rep. (HOU)
Subject: Concerning H-4121 - Please vote "Ought Not To Pass"
Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 7:38:16 PM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)

was deleted without being read on Wednesday, June 18, 2014 3:18:07 PM (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada).

Nice! (sarcastic)

All Reps and Senators hold local office hours, some even have local offices. Show up, be courteous and professional and state facts.
Start being a regular at their office. the squeaky wheels get the grease.
If they are anti gun, then support pro gun candidates, regardless of district.
www.lee4rep.com
This. With a little effort it's easy to track down when your local rep is around, do a little google fu. My rep has office hours in the town library every week.

This was the reply to my email from Rep. Donald Wong:

Hello,

I totally disagree with HB 4121 as it is written today.
Without our right to bear arms only criminals will have guns.

Respectfully,
Donald H. Wong
State Representative

Back
Top Bottom