• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Raised Bed Experts

peterk123

NES Member
And fabric bag/ bucket gardening experts...,

Anyone out there? I've done some raised beds in the past but we are planning on doing a bunch of containers for veggies.

The idea is to be semi mobile so we can get some of it inside at night during the early parts of the year. Thx Pete

How are you keeping soil most and does the soil need nutrients that are specific to container gardening?
I water daily, just a hose, checking for moisture during high heat times. The soil should be damp, (stick your finger in up to the middle knuckle to check). Some days when it’s been hot and very dry I water 2x. I’ve been using Miracle-Grow potting soil which has 6 months of nutrients, IIRC. The tomatoes get a biweekly boost of Tomato Plant Food, powder to mix in watering can. Depending on the vegetable, I mix some peat moss in with the potting soil. Lettuce, cukes, and some other plants like a looser soil. I do about 15-20 plants on my deck. I use mostly plastic pots and buckets with plenty of drainage. Metal planters get hot and can need more watering. I’ve used tomato bags from Tractor Supply, but the pots last much longer. The tomatoes get a 10 gal pot/bucket. Lettuce doesn’t need much space. Zucchini/squashes have been ok in 5 gal., as well as peppers, broccoli, cukes, and most others. There are plenty of YouTube videos that are spot on for specific veggies and general container gardening. Have fun!

Daily watering is everything. I keep a few 5 gal buckets near each cluster of 30gal pots. Dump them in and fill with hose to sit overnight to off gas(chlorinated town water). Find a fertilizer you like and use it. I use some low number hippy organic stuff. Have to feed more frequently… Stop feeding a few weeks before harvest. Also consider top dressing the pot after the plants establish with some composted cow manure. Help hold moisture.

You may want to look into container systems with reservoirs. I have a couple of EarthBox planters for things that need more even moisture. I only have to add water daily when temps are high and there's been no real rain. Been working out great for years. You can get a wheel kit for them if you want to move them around.

Back
Top Bottom