square foot (raised gardens)

I try to stagger planting lettuce every two weeks so that there are plants maturing continually. Not completely successful but that's my failure not a fault of succession planting.

Mousegun - reduced watering and added the fish fertilizer and my plants are looking much better. Plan on putting them in the ground this weekend.

Even with the vents and door open, I am seeing soil temps in the 80's in the greenhouse in 1 gallon pots during the day. May need shade cloth over the roof

I finally got some veggies planted today. I need to pick up a few plants for things I should have started weeks ago indoors, but I got most of it planted. I have to say I liked the hands-on feeling of planting the seeds and am looking forward to watching everything grow.

This is my first foray into a vegetable garden so I expect to use it as a learning experience (and hopefully a source of food). I'm following Mel Bartholomew's formula and have a simple 4x8 box. My big worry is that I'll lose everything to the animals. For a small lot in a city I sure get a lot of wildlife passing through the yard. Once I get everything planted I'll probably put up some chicken wire or maybe something with a tighter weave.

I finished starting my first foray today. Hopefully I'll grow some stuff worth eating.
7d983fd1dc5af9337abd1e63dad44e59.jpg

Jar,

Those look like the same little kits I picked up last year.

Get ready for them to get full really fast!

Garden seems to be going great. My wife grabbed spinach and lettuce today for the first time this year. I pulled about three pounds of radishes earlier this week.

Potatoes and kale (didn't plan the bed well)
uploadfromtaptalk1432162738452.jpg

Turnips - will thin out this weekend for greens
uploadfromtaptalk1432162794434.jpg

Lettuce and tomatoes
uploadfromtaptalk1432162845972.jpg

Buds on the tomatoes and squash
uploadfromtaptalk1432162909254.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1432162926850.jpg

Curious to see how you like the string grid.

I'm currently using 1' scraps of wood stripping in a lattice pattern.

Not sure if that is the best way to go or not...

I finished starting my first foray today. Hopefully I'll grow some stuff worth eating.
7d983fd1dc5af9337abd1e63dad44e59.jpg

Garden seems to be going great. My wife grabbed spinach and lettuce today for the first time this year. I pulled about three pounds of radishes earlier this week.

Potatoes and kale (didn't plan the bed well)
View attachment 137527

Turnips - will thin out this weekend for greens
View attachment 137528

Lettuce and tomatoes
View attachment 137529

Buds on the tomatoes and squash
View attachment 137530
View attachment 137531

Looks great. Your pretty far along...,way further than me.

Way further than myself also.

Just planted most of one bed a few days ago and added the irrigation system to both beds. That was enough to wipe me out for a few days. Not sure I am to happy with the way I installed the drip lines since the "drip" hole is not centered in each square. I also just ordered a timer for the drip system and will add that on when it arrives and hopefully plant the other box within a week.

Just planted most of one bed a few days ago and added the irrigation system to both beds. That was enough to wipe me out for a few days. Not sure I am to happy with the way I installed the drip lines since the "drip" hole is not centered in each square. I also just ordered a timer for the drip system and will add that on when it arrives and hopefully plant the other box within a week.
Greenhouse and starting seedlings in the basement (heat and grow light) is why the garden is so far along.

I still have my peppers to plant out - twenty seven of them. Don't know where to put all of them as I only have one 4x8 bed left open. Would give some away but I mixed them up so I don't know what's what ( bell, habanero, and jalapeño)

I don't see why the drip point would need to be perfect - just plant next to the emitter instead of centered.

Dang, you're way ahead of me.

We're still getting frost advisorys out here:

.FROST ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY.

THE NATL WEATHER SVC IN GRAY HAS ISSUED A FROST ADVISORY.WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 8 AM EDT SATURDAY. THE FREEZE WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* TEMPS.IN THE MID & UPPER 30S.

* TIMING.OVERNIGHT & EARLY SAT MORNING.

* IMPACTS.OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE ADVERSELY AFFECTED IF NOT COVERED.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS.

A FROST ADVISORY MEANS THAT FROST IS POSSIBLE. SENSITIVE OUTDOOR PLANTS MAY BE KILLED IF LEFT UNCOVERED.

We're still getting frost advisorys out here:

We had one last night. I was out there at midnight covering my babies up with stuff I had hanging on the clothesline. The fabric shower curtain seemed to work best. If I haven't moved by next spring I'm going to look into building a hoop greenhouse.

Planted a week ago now. Had 2 beds last year. Now I'm up to 5 (3x12)
70ab482ab0239a81c295661ebb809600.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Looks good - I should have gone with 3 foot beds. Four foot gets a little too far to reach across a crowded bed.

Asparagus in that first bed?
Have you harvested any?

We had one last night. I was out there at midnight covering my babies up with stuff I had hanging on the clothesline. The fabric shower curtain seemed to work best. If I haven't moved by next spring I'm going to look into building a hoop greenhouse.
One inch black plastic irrigation pipe works great for a cheap support structure with a 4-mil poly cover ( disposable drop cloth)

Saved a few of my plants that way this year from a frost.

Looks good - I should have gone with 3 foot beds. Four foot gets a little too far to reach across a crowded bed.

Asparagus in that first bed?
Have you harvested any?

The 3 foot beds are super easy to work with, even my 6 year old can help without having to walk through it.
I'll be adding removable fencing to the lettuce bed to keep the damn Chuck out of it [emoji35].
Yes sir. I've harvested enough for dinner 3 times now. It's delicious.

Tomatoes starting to fruit
uploadfromtaptalk1433891035417.jpg

Garden looks great
uploadfromtaptalk1433891142075.jpg

Only problem is cabbage root maggots.
Going to try a neem oil soak but don't know where to go if that doesn't work.

Sent from my C6530 using Tapatalk

Save the last six to bolt and let them go to seed. You'll get a ton of free lettuce seed that has been selected for later bolting.
Wow, didn't think of that.
Already have some radish going to seed but never thought of selectively choosing which plants to get seed from.

Something ate basically all the leafs off my strawberry plants????? Maybe Yogi since I did not think deer ate those, especially when I have a good area of winter rye right behind the strawberries.

Something ate basically all the leafs off my strawberry plants????? Maybe Yogi since I did not think deer ate those, especially when I have a good area of winter rye right behind the strawberries.

Happened to me last year. Yard is completely fenced (vinyl) in....I could have sworn it was the robins. But not sure.

Pulled mine and planted them in a pot -> was easy seeing there were only four plants left.
I think it's squirrels or rabbits

I had my first full head of lettuce this morning in a smoothie. I've been taking leaves here and there but this one looked like it was done growing so out it came. There was one slug inside which I saw as a reminder that my garden is pesticide free. I put that slug back outside in the bushes, rinsed off the leaves and blended away. From garden to gut in about five minutes!

The rest of my garden is doing well. I built a support structure for my pole beans out of a few limbs I had taken down earlier this year and some string. It adds a nice rustic look and was satisfying to build from materials I harvested from my own tiny piece of earth.

Anyone know when to harvest garlic? Planted it last October, and was wondering when the normal harvest time is around here? I'm getting conflicting harvest dates (Late June/July, or August) and wanted to check here...

Cheers,
Tony P.

Anyone know when to harvest garlic? Planted it last October, and was wondering when the normal harvest time is around here? I'm getting conflicting harvest dates (Late June/July, or August) and wanted to check here...

Cheers,
Tony P.
Was wondering this myself
I planted in the spring so I'll need to wait longer but still have no idea.

Did carefully peek at a couple of bulbs and they are still on the small side.

Back
Top Bottom