• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Cleaned up my gardens of green tomatoes the other day.

Uzi2

NES Member
I picked all the green tomatoes hanging around on the vines the other day and just finished canning 21 and 1/2 pints of green tomato relish. The half pint goes in the fridge for immediate use.

Green tomatoes, green bell peppers, red bell peppers, onions, celery seed, mustard seed, tuneric, sugar, salt and cider vinegar.
The jar lids are popping as I type. :D

Nice! My Grandmother always pickled- I haven't done it yet but plan to. Been overseas for work but should have a few tomatoes left. Frost is coming, so I already put the Carolina Reaper pepper bush inside. Pretty big crop of peppers off of that thing this year. Planning on finding out this weekend how much is enough for cooking.

That's great that you had such a surplus of fruit and even better that you could put them to a good use.
In the past I'd batter and fry the green ones but I never had more than a couple quarts.
Chucky the woodchuck took a chunk out of my garden last week including the tomatoes.
Chucky is going to meet with 158 grains of semi wad cutter.

That's great that you had such a surplus of fruit and even better that you could put them to a good use.
In the past I'd batter and fry the green ones but I never had more than a couple quarts.
Chucky the woodchuck took a chunk out of my garden last week including the tomatoes.
Chucky is going to meet with 158 grains of semi wad cutter.

Had a few tomatoes picked at by a possum (they're looking for the liquid in them)but not many. I lost count of how many quarts of ripe tomatoes we diceed and canned ....well over 75 for sure.
Made cases and cases of quarts of dill pickles using just an adhoc recipe and they came out excellent. I start eating them and cant stop until the jar is empty. Nothing goes to waste, all the scraps are composted, lots of the seeds are saved and the produce is eaten fresh as it comes on and much of it given away and canned.

Planted some late beets in a half barrel container and they are just now starting to bulb.....weak seed for sure. Going to find a different source of beet seed next spring if possible. Planted turnips the same way and they had plenty of tops but no turnip. Oh well, the greens will be cooked and enjoyed.

Nice! My Grandmother always pickled- I haven't done it yet but plan to. Been overseas for work but should have a few tomatoes left. Frost is coming, so I already put the Carolina Reaper pepper bush inside. Pretty big crop of peppers off of that thing this year. Planning on finding out this weekend how much is enough for cooking.

Hope the plants survive. I'll eat some jalepeno peppers but not into the real hot stuff.

I found a brand of #10 canned pickled jalepenos a few weeks ago and I opened them and tried them....they were very good. Going to put a few cans of them on the shelf......has a best by 2029 date on the can.....great long term storage.

Had a few tomatoes picked at by a possum (they're looking for the liquid in them)but not many. I lost count of how many quarts of ripe tomatoes we diceed and canned ....well over 75 for sure.
Made cases and cases of quarts of dill pickles using just an adhoc recipe and they came out excellent. I start eating them and cant stop until the jar is empty. Nothing goes to waste, all the scraps are composted, lots of the seeds are saved and the produce is eaten fresh as it comes on and much of it given away and canned.

Planted some late beets in a half barrel container and they are just now starting to bulb.....weak seed for sure. Going to find a different source of beet seed next spring if possible. Planted turnips the same way and they had plenty of tops but no turnip. Oh well, the greens will be cooked and enjoyed.
I haven't done seed saving since I was a kid. I've gotten lazy about in adulthood. I like to see that people still do it. I should save some of my squash seeds this year.
Most of my seed comes from Commercial Seeds for Professional and Garden Growers - NE Seed. I've had good luck with their beets.
Sharing in the garden bounty always makes for good neighbors.
Have you tried dilly beans? Substitute your cucumbers with green beans. Our household loves them.

I haven't done seed saving since I was a kid. I've gotten lazy about in adulthood. I like to see that people still do it. I should save some of my squash seeds this year.
Most of my seed comes from Commercial Seeds for Professional and Garden Growers - NE Seed. I've had good luck with their beets.
Sharing in the garden bounty always makes for good neighbors.
Have you tried dilly beans? Substitute your cucumbers with green beans. Our household loves them.

Not tried pickling beans yet, will have to try a batch.

I couldn't go without cucumbers here....I like dill spears too much. We just can the green beans fresh with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt in the pressure canner.

Did save some zuchinni seeds this year, hope they do well.

Frost is coming, so I already put the Carolina Reaper pepper bush inside. Pretty big crop of peppers off of that thing this year. Planning on finding out this weekend how much is enough for cooking.

I too just brought my reaper plant indoors. As far as how much to use when cooking ? Be careful , I'm a big time chilihead and still find these nearly inedible. I use them but VERY cautiously

I too just brought my reaper plant indoors. As far as how much to use when cooking ? Be careful , I'm a big time chilihead and still find these nearly inedible. I use them but VERY cautiously

I like some spice in pickles, so once I get around to trying pickling maybe a couple pieces in the batch?

Just slice one in half and touch your tongue to the cut end of the pepper. That will give you an idea how hot they are.

Should I pull the green tomatoes off my plants now? Will any continue to ripen or is it over.

These two were my first plants ever. They were in the stell cages but completely overgrew them and look like trees now :)

Back
Top Bottom