• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Jerky experts

peterk123

NES Member
We are starting to make more jerky these days because it is good food for hunts, and backpacking.

Looking for some advise on some accessories. Specifically, a cuber and jerky slicer. Are they a must have? I have a small meat slicer for cutting it to perfect thickness. I also have a large meat grinder that could take a cuber/slicer accessory. At 180 bucks though I want to be sure it would get used. Thx Pete

Last edited by a moderator:
I put the meat I'm going to cut up in to the freezer for a bit to get it firm. This helps me keep more consistent thickness when I'm slicing it with a knife. I'd like to get a meat slicer but with many things if you don't spend some $$ and get a good one its going to be a POS.

I with Admin - I'll trim the meat and size and then wrap it in plastic wrap and put it in the freezer for 30 mins to an hour.

Then I'll slice with a sharp knife. I'm pretty good with the knife and even though it takes longer than with a slicer, it's also much easier for me to clean and put away.

If I'm getting a slicer, then it's going to be a commercial one that you'd see in a deli.

Meat in the freezer for a bit is a must A friend made me a wooden jerky slicing board so I get even thickness slices. Basically a wooden cutting board with recess routed into it and some guides for the knife. You can buy them commercial made as well.

Regarding the slicer. I got this one for free because the people that were selling it couldn't dispose of it in the trash, and they were moving. I think they lived in Littleton.

Anyway, it's one of those cheap 99 dollar ones. The thing has been amazing. I was shocked. Meats and veggies are cut no problem. Even when the meat is slightly frozen, no issue. Keep telling myself I need a better one, but it just keeps going!

I make shaved steak for sandwiches using the freezer trick and a Shun chefs knife. Can make paper thin slices by hand.

I have a Cabelas $100 slicer.. works fine for jerky.. I generally don't do the freezer trick.. probably should... currently doing 16 lbs pre-cooked weight.. probably end up with three 1-gal ziploc bags of jerky, or about 5-6 lbs. I love the LEM Cajun mix.

I also do mine drying in the oven.. stackable cooling racks in 200°F. consensus of all my consumers prefer the oven to the dehydrator.. Never used ground meat and jerky gun..

I use London Broil.. if anyone has a better cut to use, lmk.

reminds me.. I still have one bag marinating that I have to dry.

1699375163474.png

I also do mine drying in the oven.. stackable cooling racks in 200°F. consensus of all my consumers prefer the oven to the dehydrator.. Never used ground meat and jerky gun..

Interesting. what are their comments of the differences between the two methods?

as for cuts, I use get eye of round when it's on sale

Interesting. what are their comments of the differences between the two methods?

as for cuts, I use get eye of round when it's on sale

they just say it "comes out better".. oh yeah I leave the oven door cracked as well.

What type of cuts are you guys using? Marinades?

I swear by the LEM products.. used to sell them at BPS/Cabelas... now I get them on Amazon.

Years ago i bought a used globe commercial 12” slicer for short money, as i was making 20-40 lbs a year and could justify the cost. I like mine thin about 1/8” and the slicer just makes it consistant so when i dry a batch, they all are ready at the same time. Since then i found a butcher who also can slice my desired thickness (worth asking around) and i only use my slicer on venison.

I exclusively buy top round, as my first batches were that cut and i liked everything about it. I know others use different cuts and i am sure they are great too.

I use a wet marinade made of soy and worcestershire (low sodium on both) and have tweaked it to my palate. Also use a commercial teryaki marinade for the kids who like that better. Bigger mess and longer to dry.

Back
Top Bottom