Making beef jerky without dehydrator?

I've been reading up a bunch of things and id like to try and make jerky, I've never done this before and would like to know your methods on doing this safely. I've read a few ways of doing it in the oven but I'm curious what the safest way to do it avoiding bacteria etc.. And making it with the longest shelf life. I plan on starting a garden and learning to can as well come this spring when it warms up outside. I'm looking to start supplementing our weekly food with the goal to become supermarket independent and depending on my own gardening/ hunting to survive.

I always did it by putting the oven on low (200). I trim as much fat off it as I can. Cut thin strips and season it. I make a batch about every couple of weeks. never had a problem.

I always did it by putting the oven on low (200). I trim as much fat off it as I can. Cut thin strips and season it. I make a batch about every couple of weeks. never had a problem.

does it with a window fan

Both methods work well. The ingredients that Alton Brown uses in that video can be found here.

Beef Jerky Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

The red pepper flakes are a nice touch and Liquid smoke is a must.

Last edited by a moderator:
So just set the oven to 200 and leave the meat there with the oven door pegged open then let it go for 2-6 hours?

For the most part yes. Dehydrators can be had on Amazon for less than $60, it's a lot easier using one than using the oven.

For the most part yes. Dehydrators can be had on Amazon for less than $60, it's a lot easier using one than using the oven.

I've used both methods.
The danger with the oven (I suggest 180○ F) is if you go too long your jerkey is toast .
The dehydrator does provide a more consistent product.

...and they're multitaskers. There's a lot of stuff you can dry. (E.g. I slice zucchini on a mandolin and make zucchini chips, which I eat instead of nachos.)

Putting the hunk of meat in the freezer to firm it up really helps you cut thinner pieces. The thinner the better.

My dehydrator works like a damn charm. If I knew how to do it other ways I would probably do both. I make a real spicy jerky that would make Jack Links taste like a dog treat [grin]

I've used both methods.
The danger with the oven (I suggest 180○ F) is if you go too long your jerkey is toast .
The dehydrator does provide a more consistent product.

Yep and it's dead easy with the dehydrator. I got my 6 tier at BedBathandbeyond for $60 with the 20%off coupon. Love it.

Care to share your recipe? I really like spicy jerky instead of the more "regular" or traditional flavor.

My dehydrator works like a damn charm. If I knew how to do it other ways I would probably do both. I make a real spicy jerky that would make Jack Links taste like a dog treat [grin]

Yep and it's dead easy with the dehydrator. I got my 6 tier at BedBathandbeyond for $60 with the 20%off coupon. Love it.

Care to share your recipe? I really like spicy jerky instead of the more "regular" or traditional flavor.

Sure. I use a teriyaki marinade, cayenne pepper, a little bit of garlic powder , black pepper, a hint of whatever hot sauce you have [Cholula in my case]. That's pretty much it. Tr marinade has enough salt so I skip the salt. You can tweak these to cater to your own preference.

I mix all these in a ziploc bag and put it in the fridge for at least 12 hours. I use sirloin that I cut real thin and trim whatever fat I see [it does not dehydrate!]

Eventually ill get a dehydrater but until then I want to try to start making jerky and preserving food that would otherwise go bad and get thrown out.

Sure. I use a teriyaki marinade, cayenne pepper, a little bit of garlic powder , black pepper, a hint of whatever hot sauce you have [Cholula in my case]. That's pretty much it. Tr marinade has enough salt so I skip the salt. You can tweak these to cater to your own preference.

I mix all these in a ziploc bag and put it in the fridge for at least 12 hours. I use sirloin that I cut real thin and trim whatever fat I see [it does not dehydrate!]

I dehydrate habaneros and pulverize them and add them to the marinade too. Great flavor with a bit of heat.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I get the heat from a paste called Sambal ulek (basically, lots of crushed chilies), and I'm usually using soy, honey or molassess, liquid smoke, black pepper, and garlic. It's delicious, and it'll make you want something to drink even when it's cold and wet out.

Both methods work well. The ingredients that Alton Brown uses in that video can be found here.

Beef Jerky Recipe : Alton Brown : Recipes : Food Network

The red pepper flakes are a nice touch and Liquid smoke is a must.

the liquid smoke is definitely a must

i can honestly saw as a single man Alton brown and Good Eats has taught me alot about cooking things other than mac and cheese/romen noodles

the liquid smoke is definitely a must

i can honestly saw as a single man Alton brown and Good Eats has taught me alot about cooking things other than mac and cheese/romen noodles
lol! I cook everything full chickens large roasts steak Shepards pie etc on a weekly basis. I'm looking to start cooking more survival/ preppers things etc.

Made some moose jerky last night. I use ground and a gun as the kids like it better. Used a Cabelas mix and I have to say it is OK at best. Very salty. I need to quit being lazy and get back to my own mixes.

Back
Top Bottom