Radio Jeff Kuhner Denied/Restricted? Answer:No. Kuhner flames follow...

goodzilla

NES Member
This morning on WRKO (680 AM), probably around 7:45am, I heard the last 15-20 seconds of a rant from Jeff Kuhner on being either denied or restricted on his firearms permit application (I think). He kept saying that he wasn't allowed to own a rifle or shotgun to protect his family. I couldn't figure out exactly what he was talking about (restriction vs. denial, and/or LTC vs FID). Unfortunately he didn't re-cap what happened before he went to commercial and moved on to the next topic.

Did anyone hear what he said? I believe he may be a green card holder (Canadian).

ETA: No, found out that he was hypothetically reacting to DeValue signing the bill.

Last edited:
I heard it and I believe he was hypothetically speaking on how the new gun law COULD prevent someone from getting a long gun (due to COPs discretion when issueing FIDs) to protect their family. Not necessarily him or his family.

This morning on WRKO (680 AM), probably around 7:45am, I heard the last 15-20 seconds of a rant from Jeff Kuhner on being either denied or restricted on his firearms permit application (I think). He kept saying that he wasn't allowed to own a rifle or shotgun to protect his family. I couldn't figure out exactly what he was talking about (restriction vs. denial, and/or LTC vs FID). Unfortunately he didn't re-cap what happened before he went to commercial and moved on to the next topic.

Did anyone hear what he said? I believe he may be a green card holder (Canadian).

He's a citizen (naturalized, correct formerly of Canada) . I caught the tail end as well but I got the impression that he was playing a role, i.e., "You mean you denied me because of this law my right to own a shotgun?"

I will wait for others to chime in.

that is good.
we need some famous people to get denied....maybe that will help our cause.

that is good.

Yep, that's what I was hoping. If true he should get with GOAL and Comm2a. I don't think he'd have any issue using air time highlighting how capricious and arbitrary the system is, and would probably relish the thought of making some new political enemies.

An ultra-right-wing radio blowhard getting denied won't make a bit of difference. It needs to be a gun restrictionist hypocrite who gets denied for it to matter--perhaps a member of the ruling class.

Yep, that's what I was hoping. If true he should get with GOAL and Comm2a. I don't think he'd have any issue using air time highlighting how capricious and arbitrary the system is, and would probably relish the thought of making some new political enemies.

You have to be careful here hooking your wagon to "famous people".

I went to high school with a kid who later became a rather well known DJ on WBCN. He also was convicted of dealing drugs.

Another air personality who I've been friends with for almost 50 years, left his Wife and Family for his secretary. Back then there were no 209As but in today's world that would be very possible and taint the "purity" of the applicant.

So called "famous people" oftentimes get caught up in drugs, alcohol, sex (sometimes with underage followers), infidelity, etc. and have records that would give chiefs potential reasons that a judge would agree with. That is why Comm2A is so very, very careful in picking plaintiffs and cases.

Apparently he gets death threats and has them documented so if he did get denied it would be an interesting case study. Assuming no other factors.

An ultra-right-wing radio blowhard getting denied won't make a bit of difference. It needs to be a gun restrictionist hypocrite who gets denied for it to matter--perhaps a member of the ruling class.

That would not work either. Those people manage to get special exceptions for themselves as they throw everyone else under the bus.

You have to be careful here hooking your wagon to "famous people".

I went to high school with a kid who later became a rather well known DJ on WBCN. He also was convicted of dealing drugs.

this is very true.

however i see no problem with him giving radio time to discuss his experience with our LTC/FID issuing system.....especially if it's just one man's experience with a bullshit system.

i see no reason for pro-2A groups to hook up with anyone, in fact its largely why the NRA struggles today w so many middle ground people.....they got too political hooking up with idiots and thus lost their singleness of purpose.

its no different than Comm2A or GOAL endorsing specific car dealer or supermarket for being pro-2A.....turns into rubberstamp which ends up becoming trojan horse.

It was just him presenting the arguement against restrictions in a hypothetical situation. He also talked about Leah Cole.

I rarely listen to Kuhner, but today happened to be one of those exceptions.

I heard it and I believe he was hypothetically speaking on how the new gun law COULD prevent someone from getting a long gun (due to COPs discretion when issueing FIDs) to protect their family. Not necessarily him or his family.

I don't get it, while there is added discretion in FID, they now need to provide quantifiable proof if they Deny your LTC. So just apply for an LTC and not an FID? There is no LTC B or even LTC A Restricted - anymore for that matter, from what I understand.

It was just him presenting the arguement against restrictions in a hypothetical situation. He also talked about Leah Cole.

I rarely listen to Kuhner, but today happened to be one of those exceptions.

Okay, thanks. I rarely listen to him as well, typically the radio's on 680 from Howie Carr from the day before. I have come to dislike his delivery of most any arguments he's trying to make, to the point where I don't listen. The same thing happens to me with Hannity, where the dude keeps hitting his talking points over and over, and forward progress in the conversation/debate stops for the sake of repetition.

I did hear it this morning (again, I wasn't sure what I heard). Kuhner's on the radio during the morning drive, and the bill was signed yesterday after he was off the air. So apparently he was discussing the bill today, which would have been his first opportunity.

I did hear it this morning (again, I wasn't sure what I heard). Kuhner's on the radio during the morning drive, and the bill was signed yesterday after he was off the air. So apparently he was discussing the bill today, which would have been his first opportunity.
The bill was in the works for months prior to being signed into law yesterday. I doubt there is anyone up on current events in MA who did not know the bill would be signed into law. Thus the time to whine about it on the air has passed. I refrain from listening to political entertainers, but usually they have only a cursory understanding their subject matter. I'd be surprised if any one of them could accurately describe the MA licensing process.

I love how you attack someone who's trying to help our cause... because of him he was able to get thousands of people to the anti illegal immigrants rally. maybe he could help get numbers at the next 2a rally.

I love how you attack someone who's trying to help our cause...
What did he do to "help our cause" _before_ the bill became law?
...because of him he was able to get thousands of people to the anti illegal immigrants rally. maybe he could help get numbers at the next 2a rally.
1. A rally against illegal immigrants has nothing to do with the new gun law that has made FIDs may-issue.
2. You could rally every day about MA gun laws, and it would not make a bit of difference. The people in power benefit from voting against private gun ownership and will continue to do so long after everyone currently participating on this forum has passed away.

Apparently not much was accomplished.

He's definitely on "our" side.

You'd have to listen to him or have some knowledge of his leanings to understand that. Love him, or hate him (he is quirky and sometimes over the top, unlike the left [rolleyes]), he stands with, what I believe to be us, like minded folks.

Yeah, because the original DeLeo bill was so much better than what made it to devalues desk.
So the radio personality fixed the bill? Last I heard it was GOAL that worked for months exerting influence to change the bill from an unbelievably bad nail in the coffin of private gun ownership to just an extremely bad nail in the coffin of private gun ownership.

So the radio personality fixed the bill? Last I heard it was GOAL that worked for months exerting influence to change the bill from an unbelievably bad nail in the coffin of private gun ownership to just an extremely bad nail in the coffin of private gun ownership.
no he hosted goal, and informed the public.

You're right. I guess none of us here are pro-gun because we haven't co authored any pro-gun bills or personally lobbied any congressmen. Forget all those rallies and donations.

You're acting like nothing you do matters unless you fix things personally.

that is good.

Famous people won't have any problems for precisely that reason. Remember the thread about Robert Downey Jr at a range in MA? He is a PP. http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ge-from-Hollywood/page2?p=3260518#post3260518

I think he's a great actor. I love his films. That being said, he is most definitely a "prohibited person" when it comes to guns. Agree or disagree, you are putting both him and yourself in legal jeopardy by handing him a gun.

From the world most trustworthy news source (wikipedia):

"From 1996 through 2001, Downey was arrested numerous times on drug-related charges including cocaine, heroin and marijuana[17] and went several times through drug treatment programs unsuccessfully, explaining in 1999 to a judge: "It's like I've got a shotgun in my mouth with my finger on the trigger, and I like the taste of the gun metal."[18] He explained his relapses by claiming to have been addicted to drugs since the age of eight, due to the fact that his father, also an addict, had been giving them to him.[18][19]

In April 1996, Downey was arrested for possession of heroin, cocaine and an unloaded .357 Magnum handgun while he was speeding down Sunset Boulevard. A month later, while on parole, he trespassed into a neighbor's home while under the influence of a controlled substance and fell asleep in one of the beds.[20][21] He was sentenced to three years of probation and required to undergo compulsory drug testing. In 1997, he missed one of the court-ordered drug tests and had to spend four months in the Los Angeles County jail.

After Downey missed another required drug test in 1999, he was arrested once more. Despite Downey's lawyer, John Stewart Holden, assembling for his client's 1999 defense the same team of lawyers that successfully defended O.J. Simpson during his criminal trial for murder,[18] Downey was sentenced to a three-year prison term at the California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison in Corcoran, California (a.k.a. "Corcoran II"). At the time of the 1999 arrest, all of Downey's film projects had wrapped and were close to release, with the exception of In Dreams, which he was allowed to complete filming. He had also been hired for voicing "The Devil" on the NBC animated television series God, the Devil and Bob, but was fired when he failed to show up for rehearsals.[22][23]

After spending nearly a year in California Substance Abuse Treatment Facility and State Prison in Corcoran, California, Downey, on condition of posting $5,000 bail, was unexpectedly freed when a judge ruled that his collective time in incarceration facilities (spawned from the initial 1996 arrests) had qualified him for early release.[5] A week after his 2000 release, Downey joined the cast of the hit television series Ally McBeal, playing the new love interest of Calista Flockhart's title character.[24] His performance was praised and the following year he was nominated for an Emmy Award in the Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series category and won a Golden Globe for Best Supporting Actor in a mini-series or television film.[25][26] He also appeared as a writer and singer on Vonda Shepard's Ally McBeal: For Once in My Life album, and he sang with Sting a duet of "Every Breath You Take" in an episode of the series. Despite the apparent success, Downey claims that his performance on the series was overrated and that, "It was my lowest point in terms of addictions. At that stage, I didn't give a **** whether I ever acted again."[14] In January 2001, Downey was scheduled to play the role of Hamlet in a Los Angeles stage production directed by Mel Gibson.[27]

Before the end of his first season on Ally McBeal, over the Thanksgiving 2000 holiday, Downey was arrested when his room at Merv Griffin's Hotel and Givenchy Spa in Palm Springs, California was searched by the police, who were responding to an anonymous 911 call. Downey was under the influence of a controlled substance and in possession of cocaine and Valium.[28][29] Despite the fact that, if convicted, he could face a prison sentence of up to four years and eight months, he signed on to appear in at least eight more Ally McBeal episodes.[30]

In April 2001, while he was on parole, a Los Angeles police officer found him wandering barefoot in Culver City, just outside Los Angeles. He was arrested for suspicion of being under the influence of drugs, but was released a few hours later,[31] even though tests showed he had cocaine in his system.[32] After this last arrest, producer David E. Kelley and other Ally McBeal executives ordered last-minute rewrites and reshoots and dismissed Downey from the show, despite the fact that Downey's character had resuscitated Ally McBeal's ratings.[33] The Culver City arrest also cost him a role in the high-profile film America's Sweethearts,[32] and the subsequent incarceration forced Mel Gibson to shut down his planned stage production of Hamlet, as well. In July 2001, Downey pleaded no contest to the Palm Springs charges, avoiding jail time. Instead, he was sent into drug rehabilitation and put on a three-year probation, benefiting from the California Proposition 36, which had been passed the year before with the aim of helping nonviolent drug offenders overcome their addictions instead of sending them to jail.[5][34]"

Back
Top Bottom