Question

Person A lives in MA and has his LTCA, Person A's relative, Person B comes down to visit for a few months and realizes he wants a gun aswell. Person B is moving back to a free state soon (no permits or registration on longarms). Person A is wondering if he can buy a shotgun for Person B (who has no criminal record) in MA as a gift and give it to him before he leaves. Is this legal? Do the authorities need to be notified as its registered in the state of MA as person A's? Or as long as it doesnt return to the state of MA no one needs to know?

Person B COULD buy a gun himself out of state, but knows little about guns, and Person A wants to give person B a gift.

You could give your cousin some kind of gift certificate and go with him to pick it out, I suppose. I think if you pay for it that might run afoul of the "straw man" thing, but I really don't know.

If Person B is not a legal resident of MA, he can't buy ANY guns/ammo in MA no matter how long he is staying here! If he wants to buy anything here, he'll need to establish residency, take a MSP certified course, go thru the BS to get a LTC, wait 1-6 months (from decision to do it to getting LTC in-hand) to get the LTC. THEN and only then could he buy something in MA (ammo/gun).

Best bet is Person A let's Person B (under direct supervision) shoot item of interest, give detailed instructions on what to buy to Person B and let Person B buy it when they move to the free state.

Buying something for another person in MA who is NOT legally eligible to receive it (Person B can't possess anything in MA without the LTC/FID) WOULD be a "Straw Purchase" and Fed Felony.

LenS said:
Buying something for another person in MA who is NOT legally eligible to receive it (Person B can't possess anything in MA without the LTC/FID) WOULD be a "Straw Purchase" and Fed Felony.
What if Person A gives Person B a gift card or gift certificate good at Person B's local gun store?

If you are truly buying it as a gift and expect no money in return, then yes you can buy him the gun, BUT, you must ship it to an FFL in his home state for him to pick when he gets home.

It would realy be much simpler to find out what he wants here and just give him money to buy it at home.

dwarven1 said:
You could give your cousin some kind of gift certificate and go with him to pick it out, I suppose. I think if you pay for it that might run afoul of the "straw man" thing, but I really don't know.

When I worked in the gun department at MVP sports (back when they existed, and even further back when they had gun departments) we would often accept payment from a non-licensed person for a firearm as a gift for a license holder with the provision that the license holder came to the store to pick up the firearm and do the paperwork. We treated it as a lay-away.

Back
Top Bottom