Question...

I am a retired NYC Police Sergeant who has a second home on the Cape. I currently have a Class A Large capacity carry license in the state of MA. I also have my NYC Carry permit with 12 pistols and revolvers listed. In NYC the guns you can carry are listed on the permit. I have been notified by the NYC Pistol License Bureau that I will have to reduce the list of carry guns to 8. I figure that I can just keep them at my house on the cape, however they want paperwork by either an FFL or the police stating the weapons are now in the Bay State. Any suggestions? I don't want to pay to transfer my guns through an FFL. Can I present them at the State Police barracks and fill something out?

I'd consult a NY lawyer familiar with the provisions of the Sullivan Act.

I presume that, since the Cape house is a "second" home, that you are a New York resident.

Back when I had one (a very long time ago), a Sullivan license was both your license to carry AND your license to own. If you are a NY resident and if you continue to own the weapons that will be left at the Cape, you may well be running afoul of the NY statute.

That said, I do not and could not even if I wanted to provide you with legal advice; I can't answer the questions, but I can urge you to ask them.

Welcome to the forum. We hope you enjoy it here.

Do you have any contacts with NYPD that could pull some weight with the NYC Pistol License Bureau to get off your back?

RKG is an attorney, so I'd take his advice seriously. If it doesn't violate any NY laws, AND if your LTC-A is a Resident permit (as opposed to NR), moving the guns to MA and filing FA-10s might meet NYC's requirements?? For $20 (last time I knew) you can get the MA CHSB to issue you a certified list of what they have recorded as guns "registered" to you in MA.

Good luck!

Than you for all your replies. I will persue the last suggestion. The license bureau is fine with me owning weapons in another state. They said they have several retirees in the same boat. I am unfamiliar with the term " MA CHSB " please excuse me. What is it ? It sounds like this is what the PD in NY will accept. A list of weapons owned in MA. Thanks again for the replies, and Happy Holidays!

I am unfamiliar with the term " MA CHSB " please excuse me. What is it

This is the Massachusetts agency which, amongst other duties, keeps track of firearms transactions within the Commonwealth. All FA-10 forms are maintained by them.

http://www.state.ma.us/chsb

Welcome to NES. My wife's family has a long-time acqaintance (a real fine kid) who joined the NYPD about a year ago. He seems to like it so far. His class got pulled out of the academy about a week early to patrol during New Year's Eve last year - that was "fun" according to him.

Only in New England, would a retired police sergeant who has put his life on the line on a daily basis for most of his life be restricted to having 8 "carry" guns, meanwhile thugs on the streets with total disregard to the law and life around them will have as many as they please.

I do have a question for cgc510, Does the state define a "carry gun" as any pistol, or does the pistol have to meet a certain criteria?

P.S. Welcome aboard and thank you for your service.

CHSB is Criminal History Systems Board, which is a state org under the auspices of the Secretary of Public Safety (MA State Police). When a MA Resident transfers or registers a gun, the CHSB maintains those records via an FA-10 form.

This will only work if you have a MA RESIDENT LTC. If you only have a MA NR LTC, you aren't supposed to file FA-10 forms and you aren't legally able to buy any guns or ammo in MA (only possess them).

Our laws are crazy here too.

Only in New England, would a retired police sergeant who has put his life on the line on a daily basis for most of his life be restricted to having 8 "carry" guns, meanwhile thugs on the streets with total disregard to the law and life around them will have as many as they please.

His problem is with NEW YORK.

New York is not now, nor has it ever been, part of New England.

The jackassery in this request by NY is unbelievable. What if you owned
a home in Vermont or NH, where there is no such thing as gun registration,
and "transferring the gun to yourself" would be a patently dubious
concept? Under most circumstances, their demand would be pretty
much impossible to meet.

If the guns are not in their state, or not coming back there, then what
is it any business of theirs? I could see them asking for you to sign
some kind of a statement saying the guns are no longer in the
state, but anything beyond that is rediculous, becuase in most cases
you could not comply with the request.

I would highly suggest a lawyer, or trying to use some internal pressure
to get them off your back.

-Mike

Thanks All

I can't agree with you more than this is a waste of time for me, and now you guys who have been kind enough to reply. The contact at the license bureau is nice enough, but I had more time in the toilet than he has on the job. Where can I get the FA 10 forms? I think I'll go that route.

Fa 10 forms are available from your local PD or call CHSB they will send you what you need. Sorry I don't know their phone number off hand

FA-10 forms are SUPPOSED to be available at any PD in MA. Many run out and don't restock (they have to order from CHSB at no cost to the town). They may not be familiar with the form number, so asking for a gun transfer form might click with some people working the desk.

Worst case, call CHSB and ask them to mail you 6 or 8 forms.

cgc510: If you have trouble getting the FA-10s, send me a pm. The police station in my town always has some at the dispatcher's desk and I'd be glad to pick some up and send them out to you.

Best of luck dealing with the burearats -- this is one of those situations that boggles the mind.

Amazing...

Having upheld the law for over 20 years I can't agree with you more. I still want to do the "right" thing and comply with all local and federal laws. They make it so difficult for law abiding gun loving U.S. citizens to comply with arbitrary and capricious laws governing gun ownership. Here's a another quagmire. How about my Glock Mod 19 Service weapon?? Is it MA compliant?

cgc - the last number I have for calling for an FA-10 is 978-660-4780, and welcome to the forum! [smile] And you don't have to worry about any guns you bring in - it's only the ones you want to buy when here, so the Glock is fine.

cgc - the last number I have for calling for an FA-10 is 978-660-4780, and welcome to the forum! [smile] And you don't have to worry about any guns you bring in - it's only the ones you want to buy when here, so the Glock is fine.

That sounds wrong. Whenever I call CHSB, it is a 617 area code.

From the mass.gov/chsb website:

As the Commonwealth's repository for firearms records, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) maintains a database of licenses issued including licenses to carry firearms (LTCs), Firearms Identification (FID) cards, gun dealer licenses, and machine gun licenses. The FRB also keeps records of firearms sales by gun dealers, as well as private transfers of weapons. As a result, law enforcement agencies have access to data on over 280,000 FID and LTC records and over 2 million gun transactions as an investigative tool.

In addition to processing about 4,000 records per week, the FRB is a valuable resource for the public and law enforcement agencies to answer questions regarding the Commonwealth's gun laws.

For additional information, or answers to questions not found on this site please contact the CHSB's Firearms Records Bureau at (617) 660-4780.

Nothing to really add here other then I find it completely insane that;
1 - NY restricts you to 8 carry guns and if you have 12 they now say "TS"
2 - That a retired LEO even should have to deal with any of this crap

[thinking]

Welcome to NES though.. and these guys and gals know their stuff [smile]

Slightly off topic, but blanket statements make me point out that bringing in long arms that violate the MA assault weapons laws is a felony

Slightly off topic, but blanket statements make me point out that bringing in long arms that violate the MA assault weapons laws is a felony

That is correct... any "assault weapon" produced after September 13, 1994 and in possession of more than one evil feature is prohibited in MA except by law enforcement agencies.

Additionally, any large capacity magazines made after 9/13/1994 are prohibited except by an LEO.

Slightly on-off topic... [smile]

Seeing that Sgt cgc510 is from NYC the following is an unlikelihood, but...

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment...

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

I know it's a stretch, but assuming the NYCPD would bequeath an "assault rifle" to one of it's retired officers, I wonder if he could legally bring it into MA? The law doesn't state that the retired officer had to have served in MA.

FWIW, the retired officer exemption was also allowed under the 94 Federal ban. I don't recall the exact details on how that worked at the time, but I believe it involved an active duty officer purchasing an "assault rifle" (and or hi-cap mags), for duty use. The officer had to get some sort of letter of authorization from his dept (on dept letterhead), to do so. When the officer retired, the dept was allowed to bequeath the rifle/mags to the retiree.

There were some fairly strict BATF guidelines on doing that, but I don't recall what they were at the moment (perhaps someone else can fill in the blanks).

Back
Top Bottom