Question regarding coyotes

Learn about your pellet guns... They have some that will kill people. I've known people that hunt with them. You can get some very good pellet guns for these applications.

Granted, it's not going to be your 60 dollar Daisy from Service Merchandise. But they have them for hunting coyote and groundhogs.

Hell, I was looking at a .308 pellet gun at the gun show that you charge with a SCUBA tank. He had one that was 9mm as well as .45.

Did anyone read the article in this month's American Rifleman about the air rifle that Lewis and Clark carried with them? Pretty interesting. I had no idea that they were so powerfull, or so available in that era and earlier.

Learn something new every day...

Matt

Your point is contradicted by your own evidence! The 12 gauge sabot starts out with almost half-again the muzzle velocity for the same weight projectile; ergo, it has 50% more power.

That's not "politics;" it's physics. In what way does that possibly support your argument for handgun / handgun caliber hunting? [rolleyes]

I think that was his point... politics drove the choice to allow SG and not rifle. The rifle has less energy but the politicians like the idea of SG better than a rifle, because they are morons. (after all, "assault rifle" has the word "rifle" in it. It must be bad. Then again it has the word "ass" in it and they didn't ban themselves...)

Last edited:
Your point is contradicted by your own evidence! The 12 gauge sabot starts out with almost half-again the muzzle velocity for the same weight projectile; ergo, it has 50% more power.

That's not "politics;" it's physics. In what way does that possibly support your argument for handgun / handgun caliber hunting? [rolleyes]

And how does that relate to shooting coyote with pellet guns?

Point being that if a 44mag in a rifle is "too dangerous" for our tight environs,
how the hell can anyone hunt with a muzzle loader or a shotgun(I do both)? My point was
that the perfectly adequate hunting round (44mag) is excluded because
people are afraid of the word "rifle" not due to any meaningful scientific
analysis. A 44 mag is far "safer" if your only concern is exterior ballistics.

Thanks for the info on the coyotes and the other hunting questions. I appreciate it. And by no means would I ever take a standard pellet gun to anything but a squirrel or maybe a rabbit (we used to use .22 for the rabbits outside our house in PA).

As far as where I am in Weymouth, well, I'm still relatively new to the area, but I'm right near the intersection of 18 and 53, by the BJs. There's a spot of woods behind there that I've walked around a little one saturday soon afte we moved in, but it becomes tangled with too many bryers and thorns for it to be worth while in the summer.

/Rant On

I wrote a letter a while back petitioning Mas Wildlife to
allow pistols and pistol-caliber carbines for deer hunting in MA.
A modern Sabot will FAR out perform these guys.

12G Hornady SST 300 Gr.:
Muzzle: 2000 fps 100 yds:1641 fps

Speer 300 gr. 44 mag from ruger carbine:
Muzzle:1393 fps

It's all politics, because the science does not hold up. A modern muzzleloader
or Shotgun will blow these pistol rounds out of the water, yet a slim
44 mag carbine would be just about perfect for our heavy woods and
swamps, and would be much better for a slighter built man, woman, or teen
than a 12 ga.

/Rant Off
F

Careful, or they'll try to limit sabots and go back to buckshot or something worse.

Careful, or they'll try to limit sabots and go back to buckshot or something worse.

That was my worry, too, but look at NY. They now allow high
power rifles in a huge portion of the state that used to be shotgun
only. Partly it was due to lobbying by sportsmen, but also because the
logic did not hold. A reckless shot is a reckless shot no matter what the
launch vehicle is. Anyway...i'm not holding my breath that logic will
suddenly take root in the Massachusetts halls of power.

F

There's just something amusing about seeing advice on hunting coyotes from a guy with the screen name of Coyote33. [smile] [smile]

But then, everyone knows I have a warped sense of humor!

Ya ever think that was one of the reasons I thought up the name? (-:

Now, I've never hunted for coyote before, but I have hunted deer, quail, chuckers, pheasant, grouse, turkey, rabbits, etc. Anyways, when we hunt those, we are taking part of a harvest and we eat the critter that we killed. I'm not into killing for sport.

I can't imagine that coyote are any good to eat (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So, if I were to take part in the coyote hunting, what would I do with my kill, if I were to get one?

Now, I've never hunted for coyote before, but I have hunted deer, quail, chuckers, pheasant, grouse, turkey, rabbits, etc. Anyways, when we hunt those, we are taking part of a harvest and we eat the critter that we killed. I'm not into killing for sport.

I can't imagine that coyote are any good to eat (somebody correct me if I'm wrong). So, if I were to take part in the coyote hunting, what would I do with my kill, if I were to get one?

Good question.

Answer:Hides (click)

Alright, followed the link and found a man very unhappy with people that kill coyotes and don't skin them.

However, if I were to take part in a hunt, take one, and skin it... what would I be able to do with the hide? I don't need it for myself, and while my wife can be understanding, I'm not sure the coyote hide on the back of the couch would fly. So, can you sell them? Are there people that can use them that you could donate it to?

Thanks for indulging me in my complete rookie questions.

Oh, and also what type of gun would a person use on a coyote? My deer rifle is a fantastic "sporterized" 98k mauser, and it's all I have that would be powerful enough (other arms are .22s, shotguns, and handguns).

Cabela's make's em into hats.

i951025sq01.jpg

Alright, followed the link and found a man very unhappy with people that kill coyotes and don't skin them.

However, if I were to take part in a hunt, take one, and skin it... what would I be able to do with the hide? I don't need it for myself, and while my wife can be understanding, I'm not sure the coyote hide on the back of the couch would fly. So, can you sell them? Are there people that can use them that you could donate it to?

Thanks for indulging me in my complete rookie questions.

Oh, and also what type of gun would a person use on a coyote? My deer rifle is a fantastic "sporterized" 98k mauser, and it's all I have that would be powerful enough (other arms are .22s, shotguns, and handguns).

Use the shotgun. The 8mm would blow huge holes in the hide. If you have a choice, the preferred gun is a .17 Remington.

However, if I were to take part in a hunt, take one, and skin it... what would I be able to do with the hide? I don't need it for myself, and while my wife can be understanding, I'm not sure the coyote hide on the back of the couch would fly. So, can you sell them?
Put them on eBay.

If your concern is having them so close to your house, my advice would be to kill one of them and leave it lie. The others will stay away. This has worked at the airport, and kept the coyotes away for a year or so.

Headshots, and find a reputable small coat maker to sell the pelts to. They're supposed to be VERY warm.

Back
Top Bottom