Question on ammo storage limts in Mass

GM-GUY

NES Member
I did a search but didn't see anything on point so here goes.

We know the limits are 10K Rimfire, 10K Centerfire, 5K shotgun (total numbers not cal/ga)

Does this apply to a household or each licensed resident?

If my wife gets here LTC - been trying to talk her into it for various reasons, does this double the ammount of ammo I can store?

I have been seeing some sales on 22lr for the S&W M&P15-22 and am near my limit as the winter has been long.

That is per residence, not person.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the limit applies to that number per "structure". Got a shed?

Won't work as above includes all "out buildings" according to my fire chief. I asked him that question a year or two ago.

Get an ammo/powder storage permit from your fire chief and the numbers increase significantly.

Give the town FD a call and more than likely you will get an audible pause and "WTF is that?" reaction. Worth a shot.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the limit applies to that number per "structure". Got a shed?

527 CMR 13.03 is pretty clear in it's definition of "structure," so following a careful reading of the law that would probably work. But the issue as LenS has said is the interpretation of the FD, especially if there's a fire or something at your house and they're telling your insurance company or police chief that you were illegally storing large amounts of ammunition.

I'd rather just stick to the limits then and stay under the radar.

The problem is the limits are stupid, especially for primers. It's worth the trip to the FD, and whatever the fee might be. (I've lost track of it, it wasn't much).

-Mike

The problem is the limits are stupid, especially for primers. It's worth the trip to the FD, and whatever the fee might be. (I've lost track of it, it wasn't much).

-Mike

Mike, it seems that the fee is anything that the town decides.

Used to be $0.00 here and expire when your LTC did. Next Fire Chief decided it was every 2 years, then a $10.00 fee was added and that is where I'm at right now. Worst is that I have to remind the FD each time and it takes them a month or two to type out a new permit as I stand over them. [laugh]

Back
Top Bottom