Question for Safe owners...

slugworth

NES Member
Do you put your safe on your concrete floor directly? Or use some sort of spacer between them..

I don't have any moisture ever on my basement floor..

With the 875 lb safe I just took delivery of last week, I opted to put directly on the concrete floor. No moisture issues either.
Sure I will get some rust over time on the bottom but don't expect it to be too bad.

Mine is on a cinder block base that's filled with concrete and has a square of indoor/outdoor carpet (as insulation). But my basement is ledge (home's 125 years old) so I do get small amounts of water that seep through the ledge.. I have flooded before (about 3" of water) so I have pumps in the basement just in case.

I wanted to add some insulation, I put a sheet of plastic, then a small thin sheet of rubber flooring, then bolted the safe through to the floor. Figured it would be easier to keep it dehumidified to stop the cold air coming through. We have a very dry basement but during the winter months can get quite cold at night. Cheap and easy to do so though why not.

harry

to be safe I would put a barrier down first a pc of rubber roofing or ice and water rubber or truck mud flap. concrete has lime and silica in it depending on the mix some might have more than others both possibly could in the long run cause damage or premature rusting. best to be safe.

I have mine on cinder blocks with some pieces of trex decking on top for a moisture barrier.

+1

I used composite TREX type decking under safe. 2 pieces. one on each side so air can still move under middle. No issues. will buy some time if ever a water leak.

I have a concrete garage floor. I put a small tarp down just as moisture barrier, even though I don't have moisture issues.

Mine came on a steel pallet exactly the same size as the safe, and about three inches tall. I opted to leave it under the safe and just placed that directly on the floor.
Had I not had this option I would have gone the direction of Trex as those above.

Anyone have their safe on a wood floor? I am looking at putting one in a BR closet. Won't be a behemoth, so weight shouldn't be an issue.

I drilled and used 4 hockey pucks to allow air flow under the safe and to protect the wood floor. Works great on the wood floor

This was also a concern of mine as when I get a safe, it will be on a concrete floor. Also, I'm not trying to steal the thread, but I'm curious if anyone has a $5k+ safe? I just purchased my first home and am looking into safes. I have 1 or 2 guns [wink] that I would like to secure in a nice safe, but when I spec some out, they aren't cheap... Suggestions?

I get a little water a couple time a year, I put a piece of plywood and a doormat under the safe, and anchored through them.
This gives me about an inch riser off the cement, enough to keep any puddles away from the bottom of the safe, and made it easier to shim level.

This was also a concern of mine as when I get a safe, it will be on a concrete floor. Also, I'm not trying to steal the thread, but I'm curious if anyone has a $5k+ safe? I just purchased my first home and am looking into safes. I have 1 or 2 guns [wink] that I would like to secure in a nice safe, but when I spec some out, they aren't cheap... Suggestions?
Depends on what level of protection you're getting for that price tag? Is the premium going to looks, or to security?

If you're spending +$5K, you should be looking at real "safes" with UL rating of TL-30, or better yet, TL 30 X 6.
[video=youtube_share;OtbGUbeM860]http://youtu.be/OtbGUbeM860[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine came with some steel c channel bolted to it and then bolted to the pallet. I left the c channel attached. It looks pretty strong. I considered sliding some 4x4s under it just in case but never did it.

I had my safes in the basement for 15 years without a drop of water, then after the crazy amount of frost last year something changed and I ended up with a couple of inches. Now I have them on solid 4x4x8 inch blocks that have some cheap ceramic tiles on top to act as a barrier if the blocks wick up any water. It gives plenty of space for air circulation too.

Of course, I installed an exterior pump and have been dry since.

Actually the safe I got came with these 4" shipping feet on each corner. They unscrew off but maybe I'll just leave them on. That would raise it off the floor. Have to see how sturdy it will be tho.

Check out Sturdy Safes.

Back
Top Bottom