• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about traveling with my weapon from FL to MA?

Ish

Hi, I am a CCW license holder on the State of Florida which it does have reciprocity with 33 states. I know, that every state has different laws about weapons and carry the weapons, as well as I know that I can travel with my handgun on my car thru different states even if those states doesn’t have reciprocity with my home state, but my question is: Can I carry my handgun with me in the car while I am visiting MA? I know that I can get a Non-res. License but it will take long and my travel is schedule for July 1st to July 12th and I don’t think I will be able to get the permit by then. I don’t want to carry my gun on me at all; I just want to have it close by while driving up to MA (almost 25 hours). As soon as I get to MA, I don’t like the idea but I am willing to go to the police department if needed and leave my weapon (with a signed receipt) there until my trip back home. My other question is: I will be driving for other 3 states, just stopping for gas, which doesn’t have reciprocity with my home state (NY, NJ, and Connecticut and probably MD). What is the best way to travel for these states legally and with no problems? Thank for the help, Ish.

No, you cannot bring a firearm with you into MA under the circumstances you are iterating. Period.

The rest of your questions are pretty much moot at this point. NY, NJ, and CT are license to possess states. Maryland is a default right to possess state, but no carry without license.

Vellnueve is absolutely correct on this. You cannot possess a firearm in the state of Massachusetts without a Firearms Identification Card(long guns) or a License to Carry(handguns). You cannot even possess pepper spray without an FID in MA. The federal transportation law only covers you in the states you are traveling though, not the state that is your destination.

Also keep in mind that NYC(I don't know about the state in general) have been known to split hairs and count any kind of stop as a destination. Like stopping for gas or the call of nature or if they pull you over for not signaling a turn. Not having NRA or such stickers on your car with an out of state license plate while traveling though NYC may prevent fishing expeditions.

When in doubt...

Lock your firearm (unloaded) in the trunk in a locked box.

Lock your ammo in the glove box in a separate locked container.

Lock the ammo key in the trunk, and lock the gun key in the glove box....

Plead insanity at the trial.

When in doubt...

[STRIKE]Lock[/STRIKE] Swallow your firearm[STRIKE] (unloaded) in the trunk in a locked box.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Lock [/STRIKE]Swallow your ammo[STRIKE] in the glove box in a separate locked container.[/STRIKE]

[STRIKE]Lock the ammo key in the trunk, and lock the gun key in the glove box....[/STRIKE]Swallow your keys.

Plead insanity at the trial.

If you're gonna plead insanity make sure you're gonna win.

It's important to add, Erebus, that FOPA only applies when the destination state is a place you can legally possess. If it isn't, then you're no longer protected while traveling through NY, NJ, and CT.

Vellnueve is absolutely correct on this. You cannot possess a firearm in the state of Massachusetts without a Firearms Identification Card(long guns) or a License to Carry(handguns).
Mostly correct. Two exceptions that come to mind are persons entering MA for a gun show or competition, and someone service as the executor of an estate within 6 months of the decedent's demise (or longer with the police chief's permission)

License but it will take long and my travel is schedule for July 1st to July 12th and I don’t think I will be able to get the permit by then.

Well, if you were visiting MA to take part in the July 12th USPSA match at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club (http://www.harvardactionshooters.com, local match schedule at www.uspsa-ne.org), you would appear to be covered by Mass General Law (MGL) Chapter 140, Section 131G (http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131g.htm), although that chapter remains silent on how many days pre or post match you may be in state with the firearm. I absolutely do not suggest you "pretend" you are in town for a match but, if you are interested in some really fun trigger time at the club that sets the gold standard for this sort of thing in New England, I'll be glad to meet you on the field of honor on match day if you are new to the game and want some assistance in understanding the rules and procedures of USPSA events.

Chapter 140: Section 131G. Carrying of firearms by non-residents; conditions

Section 131G. Any person who is not a resident of the commonwealth may carry a pistol or revolver in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of taking part in a pistol or revolver competition or attending any meeting or exhibition of any organized group of firearm collectors or for the purpose of hunting; provided, that such person is a resident of the United States and has a permit or license to carry firearms issued under the laws of any state, district or territory thereof which has licensing requirements which prohibit the issuance of permits or licenses to persons who have been convicted of a felony or who have been convicted of the unlawful use, possession or sale of narcotic or harmful drugs; provided, further, that in the case of a person traveling in or through the commonwealth for the purpose of hunting, he has on his person a hunting or sporting license issued by the commonwealth or by the state of his destination. Police officers and other peace officers of any state, territory or jurisdiction within the United States duly authorized to possess firearms by the laws thereof shall, for the purposes of this section, be deemed to have a permit or license to carry firearms as described in this section.

I don’t like the idea but I am willing to go to the police department if needed and leave my weapon (with a signed receipt) there until my trip back home.

BAD idea, as there is no provision for them to return the gun to you. Try this and the BEST outcome you can reasonably expect is for the PD to treat is as a voluntary surrender of an illegal gun and not prosecute you in addition to keeping the gun.
I will be driving for other 3 states, just stopping for gas, which doesn’t have reciprocity with my home state (NY, NJ, and Connecticut and probably MD).
Comply with FOPA86 and do your best to get lost in a crowd of one.

Would it be legal for him to loan the gun to a MA LTC holder for the duration of his stay? Provided the gun is OK in MA, or with an FFL that was willing to hold?

Thank you to everyone for your answers. I really appreciate all of your help.

Rob Boudrie, thanks for the invitation to the USPSA match. I did many competitions while in the Military and police over in Europe, but I never participated in any here on the States. I will love to see and / or participate in such a match even if I can’t bring my gun with me and I need to rent one over there if possible. I will be in Orange, Massachusetts for an USD Coach course and a USPA coach course both for skydive and I really will love to stop by the Harvard Sportsmen's Club. For the links you wrote I found this:

Harvard IPSC Practice!
Join us for great IPSC practice at the Harvard club. We start at about 5PM on Wednesdays. Outside in the IPSC pits during daylight savings time, or inside the indoor range during the cold months (please bring jacketed rounds ONLY to the indoor range). Everyone is welcome to join in the fun!

Do you have any other information that I can use, as per what I need to bring to the match, etc.

Thanks again to all of you and specially thanks to Rob,

Ish.

SeaShells, Thank you for asking that for me. I already asked my friend in MA who has a License and he didn't know the answer, but the question still will be if I can carry my gun in MA until I get to my friends house.

My friend also told me as well as Rob, about being allow to carry my gun if I have a flyer about a competition going on and I am on it, but he didn't knew about the Harvard Sportsmen's Club match.

Thanks,

Ish.

I can’t bring my gun with me and I need to rent one over there if possible.
Rent? What sort of hospitality do you think we have up here in the Northeast? Just post your preference on this list and chances are someone will offer up what you need for the match.
Do you have any other information that I can use, as per what I need to bring to the match, etc
Center fire handgun, 9mm or larger

4 magazines

Belt mounted holster that covers the trigger guard

Ammo (even with a non-resident LTC, you cannot buy ammo in MA even if you can find it- yes, really)

Eye/ear protection

$20 bill (match fee)

$6 (approx) if you want to buy lunch. The Slushie lady usually shows up and does a great job on the food.

Last edited:
Once again thank you for your help. I saw that the competition starts at 17:00 hours, so it is more than perfect for me. I guess that I will have to register online and bring the registration with me in case of being pulled over. My 9mm will be in a locked box on my friends house until the 12th.

Is there any provision about how much ammo can I carry on my car for the match.

Thanks,

Ish.

Welcome! You mentioned being a police officer in Europe, so it begs the question . . .

Are you currently in law enforcement as a sworn officer (any agency in the US)? Because if so, you are EXEMPT from MGLs requirement of having a MA LTC and can carry a handgun up in MA legally.

No, I am not a Police Officer on the USA, I will be one soon and there is two departments who like my resume and want to hire me, the problem is that I am a Permanent Residence of the USA and only Citizen can be a law enf. officer. I will be a USA Citizen this coming Thursday 6/18/2009, so I will be able to be a police officer after that day.

Thanks,

Ish.

No, I am not a Police Officer on the USA, I will be one soon and there is two departments who like my resume and want to hire me, the problem is that I am a Permanent Residence of the USA and only Citizen can be a law enf. officer. I will be a USA Citizen this coming Thursday 6/18/2009, so I will be able to be a police officer after that day.

Thanks,

Ish.

Congratulations!!!!

Once again thank you for your help. I saw that the competition starts at 17:00 hours, so it is more than perfect for me.
The Wednesday practices start at 17:00; the competition on the 12th starts at 0900.

If you want to see if they'll keep score at the Wed practice so it will be a competition, PM me for the club president's contact info.

There is no "pre-registration" for local matches, however, if you want an invitation letter to the one on the 12th, PM me with your postal address, fax #, or indicate if you prefer a PDF. Unlike NY law (NY penal code 265.20-13b describes their match exemption law), there is no requirement you carry match paper work with you, however, it is certainly a very good idea).

Thank you Rob,

I already PM you with the info. If it is not too much trouble for you, I would like to meet with you before the match. I did many competitions over in Europe, but never here and I would like to get a good idea about the rules, timing, static targets, moving targets, left hand, right hand, double and single shoot, etc.

Thanks,

Ish

Thank you to everyone for all the help and information.

Rob, you help me a lot with all your info and I have to tell you that you are 100% correct about everything you said.

For everyone information in case that you find yourself in my situation one day, here is what I found out just now:

I just spoke with The Massachusetts State Police, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, Massachusetts 01702, Phone: (508) 820-2300 and I told them about my plans to drive up to MA from FL. I asked them for all the information regarding carry weapons without any license from the state of MA but having a license here in FL. I told them that I will be participating on the match at the Harvard Sportsmen's Club, and after they look up the Section 131G, they told me that my information was correct and I can Carry a weapon and as many ammo I want, as long as I have a copy of the section with me as well as my home state license, my weapon empty and locked and the ammo in a different container locked or not.

I asked them about me getting a license from MA, they told me that there is not a problem, they got my information and mailing address (I hope they don’t send the cops to my house, just kidding) and they will send me a package in order to fill out everything and so forth.

I am glad I called them for two reasons, the 1st reason because now I have info straight from them supporting everything that Rob already knew and told me, and the second because they just put me on the system, so in case of being pull over for any reason they can verify all my info and my phone calls regarding our conversation faster than me trying to explain all over again.

Once again, thank you for all the help and info that you guys gave me.

Ish.

As I understand the laws of travel, you are OK if they are locked in locked cases in a locked trunk and you have a match bulletin for the destination. Other than that you are breaking the law. I stopped shooting competitively in Mass. when the state police told me it was legal to go to Mass. matches but I could not stay overnight with hand guns in position. Go and return home the same day but no staying at a home, motel or in a camper. Since then I have been told that was incorrect but I'll not try to find out. I don't take guns to Mass. period.

TITLE 18 > PART I > CHAPTER 44 > § 926A
§ 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

I understand what you said, and therefore I called up to the MA State Police and told them my traveling days. One thing they told me was that I made a good decision calling them so now they are aware of me no trying to sneak a gun in MA with no license. There is not a provision on how long before or after the competition you can stay with your weapon in MA, but they recommend me no more than 10 to 14 days before the match and as less possible days after the match.

I have been on the law enforcements for many years over in Europe and when someone came thru honestly, that person ever has a problem. Now, if someone tries to manipulate the system and the laws, they will find out that the law normally always wins.

I told the State Police that I will be doing more things than enjoying the match, and they told me that there is not a problem as long as I have the weapon empty and locked while in MA. If they told me that I couldn’t be there before the competition, I will just leave my gun in home period. Once again it was well worthy to call them up.

Thanks,

Ish.

MA request a course from a "MA Certified instructor" to get a LTC, although there were rumors at one point that they accepted NRA certs from non-residents (which would be inconsistent with the statute, but so is taking more than 15 days to issue a New Hampshire license, so one cannot always assume licensing units follow the law).

I suggest you find out if you will need this certificate before your visit, as it will be something easy for you to nail down while in-state, but it may be difficult to find a "MA certified instructor" in FL. One more thing - non-resident LTCs are $100 per f'in year (Yikes!!!)

The State Police is sending me a package with all the applications and phone numbers as well as some MA Certified Instructors info. They never told me anything about me having to have the certificate, but I will call then again just in case.

I don’t know how long it will take for that package to get here, so I will start to look right away if there is any MA certified Instructor on my area, which I doubt it, but I look for one it will not hurt. If I can’t find one here, maybe you can direct me on the right way to find one while I am there.

Thanks,

Ish.

4.) LTC Basic Firearms Safety Courses. The following BFS courses, with fulfillment of 515 CMR 3.05(2)(b) requirements as applicable, meet the Department of State Police's criteria for obtaining a LTC and are approved:
(a)Massachusetts Chiefs of Police Association Basic Handgun Safety Course;
(b) NRA Basic Pistol Course, NRA Personal Protection Course or NRA Home Safety Course

STATE OF MASSACHUSETTS

The State Police is sending me a package with all the applications and phone numbers as well as some MA Certified Instructors info. They never told me anything about me having to have the certificate, but I will call then again just in case.

I don’t know how long it will take for that package to get here, so I will start to look right away if there is any MA certified Instructor on my area, which I doubt it, but I look for one it will not hurt. If I can’t find one here, maybe you can direct me on the right way to find one while I am there.

Thanks,

Ish.

Brent is a MA certified instructor. He could probably hook you up while you're at the DZ.

Thanks for the info MaineCWPTraining

Marlet. It does sounds good. Do you know if Brent will be at the DZ between the 2nd and the 11th? the 12th I will be at the match. By the way, you know who it will kill me because I told her that the match starts at 17:00 hours but I was wrong, it will start at 9:00 hours. Now I have to find the way to give her a ride to the airport.

Thanks,

Ish.

Thanks for the info MaineCWPTraining

Marlet. It does sounds good. Do you know if Brent will be at the DZ between the 2nd and the 11th? the 12th I will be at the match. By the way, you know who it will kill me because I told her that the match starts at 17:00 hours but I was wrong, it will start at 9:00 hours. Now I have to find the way to give her a ride to the airport.

Thanks,

Ish.

I don't know, but I can call him and find out. He's on Banter if you want to send an email.

Depending on what time my class gets out on the 12th, my wife or I could likely give her a ride. There will be a ton of people leaving for the Boston area from the dropzone on Sunday.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. I don't know yet how long the match will be, but if her fly (which she didn't book yet) is after the match, I probably could give her a ride on time. Let’s see what happens and I will let you know. By the way it looks like I will not do the USD course; probably I will do the USPA course with Al, because I don’t want for her to be at the DZ from 8:00 to 18:00 hours doing nothing and because I want to go to match on the 12th.

Thanks and see you soon,

Ish.

Back
Top Bottom