• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about question 10

I'm gonna take everyone's advice and consult a lawyer. I know for a fact it wont show up in any criminal background check since it wasnt a crime,
You seem to know a lot about the criminal record check system and the local, state and national level. Are you able to tell us with certainty that a record check run by your former state, or a national one run though the III, will not contain any civil violations? I can't.

Be sure to answer the questions truthfully even if you get the charge annulled. I believe an annulled (or expunged) charge will not be a statutory disqualifier, but I believe still shows up in the background check. If you put "no" where there should be a "yes" not only will you most likely be denied on the grounds of not being truthful and unsuitable, but if the chief feels like it you could be fined or worse for lying on the application.

If you did honestly forget about the charge with it being so long ago they may be lenient, but if you get it annulled right before applying that is a pretty good sign you knew it was there.

Get it annulled, get a MA firearms attorney to help you fill out the application (may only cost you around $100- $200 or so if this is your only issue), then stroll into the police station and ask to apply for your LTC. Oh, and dress sorta nice, it can't hurt. [wink]

Believe me, I wish I had someone like this group of guys to warn ...ahhh, somebody I know really well before they made a similar mistake. What a headache. [rolleyes]

You seem to know a lot about the criminal record check system and the local, state and national level. Are you able to tell us with certainty that a record check run by your former state, or a national one run though the III, will not contain any civil violations? I can't.

Good point. Anywho, i just recieved my official Maine Criminal Record and it states "no record found". So as far as the state level goes, i am 100% sure. I dont know about the III though.

I just foud this out about the III:

The Interstate Identification Index (III), known as "Triple I," is an "index-pointer" system for the interstate exchange of criminal history record information. Under III, the FBI maintains an index of persons arrested for felonies or serious misdemeanors under state or federal law. (A serious misdemeanor is generally one that results in a jail sentence of one year or more.)

The index includes identification data (name, birth date, race, sex, etc.), and FBI and state identification numbers (SIDs) from each state that has information about an individual.

Source: National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics
http://www.search.org/programs/policy/iii.asp

Also found this fromt he DOJ website:

There are three levels of criminal history records. FBI criminal history records are maintained in a database called the Interstate Identification Index (III). A criminal history record is established when a fingerprint card is provided to the FBI from the contributing state. If an agency does not fingerprint the individual or does not submit the fingerprints to the state, the arrest/conviction information will not be in the database.

I was not arrested or fingerprinted for this offense.

Still gettin a lawyer, but i'm pretty confident i'll be all set.

I just foud this out about the III:

The Interstate Identification Index (III), known as "Triple I," is an "index-pointer" system for the interstate exchange of criminal history record information. Under III, the FBI maintains an index of persons arrested for felonies or serious misdemeanors under state or federal law. (A serious misdemeanor is generally one that results in a jail sentence of one year or more.)

The index includes identification data (name, birth date, race, sex, etc.), and FBI and state identification numbers (SIDs) from each state that has information about an individual.

Source: National Consortium for Justice Information and Statistics
http://www.search.org/programs/policy/iii.asp

jhblaze1,

Looks like you are probably okay and it is nice to see somebody do some work on their own end, Good Luck hope it works out for you.

M1911, thanks. I was at the Goal site trying to find the application, and then followed the links to MGL. Your way is a lot better!

Back
Top Bottom