• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about firearm registration?

I am a bit confuse here. Does our state have firearm registration everytime we buy a firearm? Do we have to register our firearm as private seller?
Thank you

Dealers selling you a firearm are obligated to report a transfer, which in turn gets associated with your LTC.

You as an individual are obligated to report a transfer if you sell a firearm via FTF, this in turn associates the gun with your LTC and the buyer's.

This is a defacto "registration" system minus the compulsory component; EG, while reporting transfers is required by law under a few different circumstances, there is no such crime as "possessing an unregistered firearm" in Massachusetts. Otherwise everyone who moved here with guns (move ins are exempt from the law) or used them in the state temporarily (eg, non residents on NR ltcs or other exemptions like LEOSA) would be in violation automatically.

-Mike

Newly built ar.... why??? did you not get it done when you bought your lower receiver from a ffl. If it was an 80% lower you don't need to tell the state anything about it, esp seeing it has no serial number. Personal build personal use, state not involved

Now if you want to sell an ar that started as an 80%lower, then you would need to have the state involved and play with all the bs of getting it a number.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

Newly built ar.... why??? did you not get it done when you bought your lower receiver from a ffl. If it was an 80% lower you don't need to tell the state anything about it, esp seeing it has no serial number. Personal build personal use, state not involved

Now if you want to sell an ar that started as an 80%lower, then you would need to have the state involved and play with all the bs of getting it a number.

It shouldn't matter what the gun is built from (80% or complete lower), the lower is not required to be FA-10ed when it is bought from the FFL (or other party), it only requires an FA-10 when it is a functioning firearm. You must do the FA-10 within 7 days of building it into a functioning firearm. This is because the MA and fed definitions of a firearm are different. For the MA definition, a firearm must be capable of firing, which is more sensible than the fed definition which states the the receiver is the firearm, regardless of whether it is capable of firing a shot. This is because the Feds don't want people to be able to buy and sell receivers or frames without FFLs across state lines.

If you want to sell an 80% lower that you built, you would need to get an 07 FFL which would allow you to build firearms for sale. Otherwise, you are going to find yourself in trouble with the feds.

FA10 does not need to be done when buying a complete lower. Some dealers (Four Seasons for example) insist the store policy (not MA law) is that they do an FA10.

Any 80% lower completed and assembled into a complete gun needs an FA10 within 7 days. The state is not involved UNTIL the gun is capable of firing a shot.

oh this... yup i just finished putting it together yesterday, so i still got time mr popo to file my fa10....

when/if some hack from the state asks about, my answer will be just got it to the point it would fire yesterday. until then the state and the Cant Understand Normal Thinking useless AG can go to hell.

I would never post in an open Internet forum when I finished my build

My point being is it is a registration system, there may or may not be a way to enforce it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok. The reason i am asking because what if the Communist government of this state is by passing the law to go confiscate all firearm from every single gun owner. I don't want them to kick in my room and demand every single firearm i bought based the list the FFL reported. Cause that is what the back ground for. When you already have a license then why the FFL have to write down the Firearm model and Serial number down before going through the background? The whole process is wasting time and lame.
i heard in ohio or any state with lack of gun control law. You can buy firearm and sell privately without having going through the background check, as long as you know the person you are selling to legal or not to own it... So i don't know.

You've got it right that this state is communist. All legal firearm sales in this state, whether they be from a dealer or a suitably licensed private party, are required to be registered via FA-10. When you buy from a shop, they do that for you. You have to sign a copy of it. Same thing when you buy from someone else privately, you've got to fill out the FA-10 and the seller is legally obliged to file it with the state.

If you buy a stripped receiver, it does not require a FA-10 as it doesn't meet the MA definition of a firearm, rifle, or shotgun. Once it is capable of discharging a shot, then it requires registration. I think most shops understand the law and do not file FA-10's on receivers, but some do. If you want to buy a receiver without filing a FA-10 first, inquire with the dealer about it before committing to buy. "When do I need to file a FA-10 on this?" is an innocuous enough question to ask.

All that said, who's to say when you completed your build? Do what you want and don't post on the internet about it.

If you are worried about the state government, they don't need to go to the FFLs they can just look it up in their own database. If you are really worried about them knowing what you have you might want to consider moving.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Question: Does it mean I can sell it to anybody with or without a license? 0_o" Am i going to get in trouble if the person i sold to doesn't register it after he finished his/her build? Because i already filled out the FA-10 form as a record at the FFL. ( is this some kind of gun law loophole in this state to get the firearm owners in trouble? )

what would you do if you had had guns for years that no FA-10 form was filed on. I mean a lot of private party sales have been done with out FA-10 forms being filed i am sure. I mean it seems to me if you tryed to file FA-10 forms today on guns from years past it would only cause problems? or am i wrong?

Last edited:
what would you do if you had had guns for years that no FA-10 form was filed on. I mean a lot of private party sales have been done with out FA-10 forms being filed i am sure. I mean it seems to me if you tryed to file FA-10 forms today on guns from years past it would only cause problems? or am i wrong?

Good question. When did FA-10 or the equivalent start? How does someone hand down a pre-FA-10 gun?

Good question. When did FA-10 or the equivalent start? How does someone hand down a pre-FA-10 gun?

I'm led to believe it was 1968.

Simply do an FA-10 between 2 LTC/FID holders who live in MA. If one doesn't have a LTC or FID or lives outside MA, you must go thru an FFL to be legal (Fed Law on disparate residents).

Back
Top Bottom