• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Question about annual fees

I sent in my application, and check to my current club this December and was inducted into the club in January. I was just told that I need to pay the annual dues again this Month and it goes from May13 to May14. They didn't prorate the fee in December, and they are now asking me to pay full membership again even though I haven't even been a member for more than 5 months. I feel a little cheated as they never mentioned this to me when I applied and I just figured I start paying my dues every January. Is this normal standard operating procedure at other gun clubs or is it just a fluke?

I joined my club, High Hill Fox and Coon Club in North Dartmouth, in October 2012. That initial joining fee carried me through the rest of 2012 and all of 2013. Don't pay my dues till 2014. Can only speak of my club as that's their operating procedure, unfortunately can't speak of others. Hope it helps some

I would do 2 things. First, speak to someone on the Board and explain that you were not made aware of the May renewal requirement. A club would ideally disclose something like that during orientation. Second, ask for a copy of the Club's By-Laws. Read them carefully: it should clarify the issue.

My Club's By-Laws state "Irrespective of when the member joined the Club, all members must renew their membership each January." Dues/fees are not prorated at my Club: you can join (and pay the full amount) in December but you still must renew in January.

I would do 2 things. First, speak to someone on the Board and explain that you were not made aware of the May renewal requirement. A club would ideally disclose something like that during orientation. Second, ask for a copy of the Club's By-Laws. Read them carefully: it should clarify the issue.

My Club's By-Laws state "Irrespective of when the member joined the Club, all members must renew their membership each January." Dues/fees are not prorated at my Club: you can join (and pay the full amount) in December but you still must renew in January.

My club is similar; they pro-rate new members but only a half year's dues after July 1st. So if you join in June, you pay a full years dues for a little over 6 months.

For that reason, I usually advise friends who want to become new members to apply in January and July to get their moneys worth.

It varies by club. I belong to two, one runs Jan to Dec the other runs Sept to Aug. I joined the calender year club in Sept, dues were prorated to 1/4 year (minimum fee when joining anywhere between Sept 1 through Dec 31) I joined the Sept to Aug club in Oct, so there was no issue.

My club doesn't prorate dues either. However if you join in the last 3 months of the membership year you're paying dues for the upcoming year... so it is basically like getting 3 months free.

I think clubs fall into two camps :
- six months or less, pro-rated for remainder of dues year, then on cycle with everyone else.
- no pro-rating at all.

I've found that when looking at club/range websites, this is usually detailed in their membership page or in the actual application you have to fill out.

Back
Top Bottom