Purchased my first 22 LR today

10-22 is a nice platform. Once you upgrade the barrel, stock, trigger, charging handle and add a scope it will be a real shooter :D

Thats BS. Every stock 10-22 I've ever shot had more than acceptble accuracy. People just love accessorizing their guns and think that spending money on them will make them a better shooter when they hardly ever do any practice.
The same goes for pistols.

I have never owned any gun that I could not learn to shoot accurately AS IS without puting a dime into it.

Picked up a Ruger 10/22 this afternoon. I used to plink around with my dad's Marlin 22 cal bolt action when I was a kid.
Judging by the reviews and talking with those that have them figured the Ruger would be a good purchase.
I probably would have went with a M&P 10/22 but the price was right on this and it was available.
It has the composite black stock with stainless barrel. I'll probably mount a scope,maybe with look through mounts. Can't wait to shoot it,
My older daughter just got one for her eighth birthday gift. Bought it in Alabama while we were visiting family. Stainless steel, heavy barrel. Leupold 4X is the eyeball mounted on it. Little Jill passed her heavy-barrel Savage bolt-action down to Lexi, who just turned six. The Savage also has a 4X Leupold. Both are excellent .22s with tack-driving accuracy. I hope you enjoy yours.

Thats BS. Every stock 10-22 I've ever shot had more than acceptble accuracy. People just love accessorizing their guns and think that spending money on them will make them a better shooter when they hardly ever do any practice.

I have never owned any gun that I could not learn to shoot accurately AS IS without puting a dime into it.

lol millions disagree. I guess you haven’t shot an accurate 22. They are great for tin cans and squirrels out of the box however

I also have two.
A factory camo and stainless takedown model, and a Talo special edition M1 model.

ruger-10-22-m1-carbine-770.jpg

I have a custom 10/22 derivative and I really want one of the M1 carbine style 10/22s someday. It's aesthetically neat, has an adantage over some of the other .22LR M1 carbine clones because of parts/mag availability and manual of arms, and is in a fairly practical configuration with that combination of sights and rail.

I have zero 10/22s.

They're not bad to shoot, but the mechanics drive me nuts: no hold-open, and releasing the bolt is like working a Rubik's Cube. AK-like mag release, which only makes sense with an extended mag (and even then, the AK design sucks).

I'll get one, eventually, because ubiquity has its own rewards.

Locking and releasing the bolt is as easy as anything. But the Ruger owner's manual does not explain how to use it correctly. My video from about 2014, shows how to make it foolproof:

Nice , just ordered . can always use more
Yeah, not a bad deal. I've seen genuine Ruger BX-1 mags anywhere from $15-$20 each plus shipping.

Also, with everything gun-related tightening up (and going up in price,) a few spares is not going overboard...

Last edited:
Locking and releasing the bolt is as easy as anything. But the Ruger owner's manual does not explain how to use it correctly. My video from about 2014, shows how to make it foolproof:

I've looked it up, and probably saw your video.

My point remains: it shouldn't take extraordinary effort to figure this out. There should either be a button, or pull-and-release, or manipulating the bolt handle in or out. Just like every other semi-auto out there.

well depends on the accepted accuracy.
Not a huge fan of the 1022 and swore I would never modify one!
Well I did. It is more fun to shoot now.
with the factory barrel/stock (My latest 10/22 already had a nice trigger installed) shot somethimg to the order of 4+moa
Now im getting very close to 1moa with CCI standard and other less than 10¢ ammo. Just cant do that with factory barrel?

Last edited:
Picked up a Ruger 10/22 this afternoon. I used to plink around with my dad's Marlin 22 cal bolt action when I was a kid.
Judging by the reviews and talking with those that have them figured the Ruger would be a good purchase.
I probably would have went with a M&P 10/22 but the price was right on this and it was available.
It has the composite black stock with stainless barrel. I'll probably mount a scope,maybe with look through mounts. Can't wait to shoot it,
before messing with scopes and red dots , learn to shoot with the iron sghts.

I have zero 10/22s.

They're not bad to shoot, but the mechanics drive me nuts: no hold-open, and releasing the bolt is like working a Rubik's Cube. AK-like mag release, which only makes sense with an extended mag (and even then, the AK design sucks).

I'll get one, eventually, because ubiquity has its own rewards.
It seems like the whole world is in love with the 10/22 but I never understood why. I own about a dozen or so .22 rifles and the 10/22 is the least accurate and most finicky of the bunch. Actually, it's accurate enough with one particular brand of ammo but it's finicky as hell with everything else. By contrast my Marlin rifles will take any and every .22 ammo, even a mixed handful of bulk ammo and out shoot my 10/22 every time.
Semiautomatic .22s are fun as hell and the Ruger has a huge aftermarket for accessories, but if I am shooting for accuracy I'll grab any other rifle from my safe first.

It seems like the whole world is in love with the 10/22 but I never understood why. I own about a dozen or so .22 rifles and the 10/22 is the least accurate and most finicky of the bunch. Actually, it's accurate enough with one particular brand of ammo but it's finicky as hell with everything else. By contrast my Marlin rifles will take any and every .22 ammo, even a mixed handful of bulk ammo and out shoot my 10/22 every time.
Semiautomatic .22s are fun as hell and the Ruger has a huge aftermarket for accessories, but if I am shooting for accuracy I'll grab any other rifle from my safe first.
again its all down to what you consider accurate.
My remington 552 is a eat anything minute of squirrel as far as i can see them rifle. Also with some better ammo 10¢-15¢ range it will get to 1.5moa -great gun.
then theres my 80 year old 513t is a nice shooter and with tenex, or CenterX will still get down to moa if I can back it up!
The 10/22 is and always ment to be a plinker that was made to almost fit everyone.
I owned many (probably the most bought and sold rifle over the past 30_years for me)
The only real advantage to a 10/22 is magazine fed. If your really interested in a consistent accurate 22 there are many more choices.

At a lower msrp, out of the box, the Savage A22 will run circles around the 10-22 in every area. Adjustable accu-trigger, threaded in barrel, full size stock. Rotary mags with the optional 25 round stick similar to 10-22.

First time out at an Appleseed shot a 238 which was the high score for the weekend.

The only upgrade I’ve been considering is a Boyd’s stock for comfort as I have a long LOP but it costs as much as the gun so I haven’t. I added a rubber stock extension and it seems to do the trick.

Thoughts on the regular vs takedown 10/22? I love the idea of the takedown although I don't need the takedown capability.

not a fan if you don’t need the take down.

to add, you are reducing the accuracy by adding that option. Also, I did see a guy using one at an Appleseed and was getting a tremendous amount of lead buildup at the connection point, enough to render the firearm unusable after a few hundred rounds. I also don’t like the fact that you mount an optic on the receiver while the barrel can be misaligned to the receiver

Last edited:
not a fan if you don’t need the take down.

to add, you are reducing the accuracy by adding that option. Also, I did see a guy using one at an Appleseed and was getting a tremendous amount of lead buildup at the connection point, enough to render the firearm unusable after a few hundred rounds. I also don’t like the fact that you mount an optic on the receiver while the barrel can be misaligned to the receiver
According to the guy that designed the take down, it gets better groups than the standard 10/22. I forget what he explained as the reasoning, but we chatted about it a bit back when it came out.

According to the guy that designed the take down, it gets better groups than the standard 10/22. I forget what he explained as the reasoning, but we chatted about it a bit back when it came out.

i always say my designs are awesome too. 😂

but seriously, I’d guess it’s because the tolerances on the standard are so big to enable the mass production and good functionality. Maybe they did these to a higher standard? Possible

i always say my designs are awesome too. 😂

but seriously, I’d guess it’s because the tolerances on the standard are so big to enable the mass production and good functionality. Maybe they did these to a higher standard? Possible
It was something like that. It's been a bit, and I'm pretty sure there was beer involved...

lol millions disagree. I guess you haven’t shot an accurate 22. They are great for tin cans and squirrels out of the box however
I often wonder this, millions sold but how many actually get shot at a level to even see how “accurate” they are.
More than half the gun owners I know have not shot ANY of their guns in for ever let alone their 22s
Most people I know with 10/22s or 22s generally buy they cheapest crap ammo they can hunt down and shoot at “cans” until it jams then bring it home and toss it in the closet

Back
Top Bottom