PSL/romak3 scope issues

Finally got out to do some shooting this afternoon (had to sight in 3 guns) I had some issues with the PSL and the scope that came with it. I was unable to hold anything resembling a group, more like a large pattern. I was using commercial ammo Privi and winchester and it didn't make much of a difference. Anyone have a good link for a manual for the scope (it is a PSO type)

I suspect the latch on the mount was not tight enough , I fixed that once home, as the zero was all over the place. The rifle funtioned fine with one mag the other was not feeding.
I have two more for it but have not degreased them yet. I was happy with the red star arms adjustable trigger I installed also and the recoil wasn't bad. (bad shoulders it was something I was worried about. )

Got the other two guns sighted in with no problems so I don't think it was me.
Thanks for any info.

I have a VEPR II, which is very similar to the PSL, with a PSO type scope.
If your groups are spread out horizonally, it is almost certain to be a problem with the scope, mount, or base.
Fire a group with good quality commercial ammo at 100yards, using the open sights, from a sandbag front and rear rest for comparison. Take your time and do your very best shooting.
One minute between shots is not unreasonable. Remember to feed all rounds through the magazine and use a spotting scope to check each shot. If the first shot is out of the group, just ignore it.

Things to look for:

The fit of the scope in the mounting bracket. If you have a variable power scope, check for SIDEWAYS movement of the scope in the mounting bracket.

Fit of the mounting bracket to the base on the receiver. This needs to be adjusted so that it is very hard to lock up. If the parts are not all properly hardened and fitted (likely), you will have to adjust this periodically.

The base on the receiver needs to be checked to see if it is riveted tightly to the receiver. Loose bases are very common on the commercial AKs. Some folks have modified the mounting by adding screws through the receiver and in to the base from the inside of the receiver.

The AK type stamped receivers flex violently when the gun is fired. This can be hard on scopes and mounting systems. The original milled AK receivers were prone to cracking because of this. One of the reasons that the stamped AKMs were adopted was for this reason.

Jack

Well I tightened the scope and if I get time with working on the house today I will try again. I didn't shoot with the open sights first, was in a good supported prone. I have a bench and will bring that and make some sand bags to sand bag it.
I want to bring it to the shoot but not if we can't hit anything.... (at least my mini 14 is hitting great. I was surprised by how well it did.)

WW, I found my PSL hates bullets heavier than 150 gr. It shoots 168 Sierra's horribly, then when fed ammo made with M80 Ball bullets (147 gr, and not known for accuracy), it calms right down to good groups.

Back
Top Bottom