The HRA LMR that would not shoot, bore scope fun

mac1911

NES Member
So I was excited when I scored a HRA from the cmp with a 1955 LMR barrel... you know they are supposed to be special.
Any way numbers where good 2 and 2 for wear. Crown was a bit rough had some corrosion. I cleaned the barrel completely went through the rifle tweeked everything I know and off to the range.
With HXP I was lucky to get 6 moa spent a good time trying to tweek some decent groups even reloads didn't help much. I did a recrown and I gained a little down to 4-5 moa with reloads. not bad but not as good as most of my rifles and a let down for the "LMR" barrel. Well I put about 300 rounds through it before I pulled the barrel and built my mac1 special
heres the bore after the 300 shots.. Its not the worst bore and actually I have worse bore rifles that shoot better than this one did

Last edited by a moderator:
Your dedication to the U.S RIFLE CAL .30 M1 is truly laudable.
Thank you, ~Matt
I don't get out to shoot much and this gives a little relief to the itch...

- - - Updated - - -

here is the bore after a good scrub and a sweets 762 treatment as you can see get rid of the fouling and such they will all have some wounds... I could only emagine how nasty it would look with a nice borescope that can view at 90 degrees to the lands...... now to clean that nasty chamber
here is the patches after the sweets....not to bad. When I get around to doing a detailed clean on a garand from the cmp that I have not yet you will see some blue!
EQXlpEsl.jpg

What was the drawing lot number of the bolt you were using when the rifle was shooting 4-5 MOA?

6528287-SA A14
Head spaced to my new Criterion barrel and with detailed reloads from the rifle rest I am getting 1.5" 8 shot groups and my best so far was 3 5 shots groups of 1.35, 1.41 1.47"
With my random case powder dropped reloads it will shoot 1.5-2moa from the rest with regularity.
Now if I only can shoot that well.

A little revisit. This barrel has just been sitting lonely in the corner. I decided to give the bore a quick wipe as its been sitting with CLP( actually GunZilla) soaking in the bore.
heres a little up date

I can never get this camera to work well when I want it to. I really need a half decent camera for this stuff
QGpcWke.jpg

bzrLNQw.jpg

Trying to resurrect that LMR and remount to your match rifle?

What do you think about a bunch of passes with JB paste?

Trying to resurrect that LMR and remount to your match rifle?

What do you think about a bunch of passes with JB paste?

I have found jb bore past to only smooth things out it does not get the crud that's deeply inbedded in the bore. What I would like to find is a M1 with a shot out bore...

the bore today

most of my garands have strong lands and grooves but are frosted.... the more copper fouling you pull out of it the the more imperfections you reveal.
I need a better bore scope and camera

In my experience a lot of guns shoot better with a little fouling in there......at least some do

Absolutely there is something to a fouled bore to and extent. Although these cmp garand barrels are loaded with fouling. I don't know why this particular barrel would not shoot well. It's very clean and has strong grooves/lands and the crown was damaged before... I cleaned up the crown a little more and polished up the flat. You can still almost see the deep gouges on the "flat" .
I'm considering having this barrel cut back a tiny bit and have a machine shop do work and put a nice professional crown on it.

I personally would get TE/ME numbers before I did anything

From there I would consider looking at how the gun fits in the stock and potential impact that handguards and other parts may have on accuracy.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-521136.html

Its all good I post this stuff gor fun and out of bordom. I cant get to the range to often so this is a bit of a scratch for the itch to play with at home.

I am pretty good at squeezing out a bit more accuracy from my old milsurps. With much help from forum members and a few old Armourers.

This particular barrel came on one of my Service grades I had already been playing with "Accuracy" including new stocks and fitting them. I replaced the stock with a new one fitted to the best of my ability, trigger work and reloads it just would not group
So I put a new criterion barrel on it.

Now if I could find a complete rifle in need of a new barrel I can re try this barrel.
I think after the deep cleaning and recrown it will shoot better.

I personally would get TE/ME numbers before I did anything

From there I would consider looking at how the gun fits in the stock and potential impact that handguards and other parts may have on accuracy.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-521136.html

I have jerys book its a must If your trying to go it alone.
Theres a ton of info to be had here
http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=3246

Also a google search for gus fisher will bring up tons of reading for accuracy improvements.

Im not so sure if the quote you posted is correct for a M1 garand for headspace though...that's a bit tight and below SAMMI specs so your ammo would have to be carefully loaded or cartridges flirting with the out limits of cartridge headspace might have some issues. Might work for a bolt gun ?

My JCG garand I put the Criterion barrel is finish reamed to almost full bolt closer the tiny tiny bit left im talking tiny bit was finished up by a light lapping of the bolt.

Last edited:
I went to seach the milsurp section for threads I have started but the search feature is showing zero results no matter what I do.
?

Hey Mac-

A request: Can you post a pic or pics that show how to ID a LMR barrel?

Anything desirable or undesirable to look for in a HRA Garand? I might look for one at Vermont, or possibly later at the South Store when I eventually take a road trip to Nawlins to see family and pick up more crap to bring home.

Thanks!

Hey Mac-

A request: Can you post a pic or pics that show how to ID a LMR barrel?

Anything desirable or undesirable to look for in a HRA Garand? I might look for one at Vermont, or possibly later at the South Store when I eventually take a road trip to Nawlins to see family and pick up more crap to bring home.

Thanks!
YkDjfIO.jpg

Over all my HRA garands are the best in finish/fit and as close to "correct" from the cmp I have received other than a 1942 SA that's as close to SA WWII correct I could ask for with general sales.

I think the HRAs had a lot of things going for them to produce great rifles. New equipment, Winchester and sprinfield ironed out a lot of manufacturing kinks and HRA had plenty of rifle manufacturing talent already.

Im sure there where lot numbers certrain drawing and heat lot codes that might have had issues but I don't know of any.

Last edited:
I lucked out and got a NM op rod, real good '55 barrel. Have removed some material which caused the HG ferral to rub. Haven't shot since some of your advised fixes, but soon.

Back
Top Bottom